• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:40 PM

Being the official poster boy for the "Ignorance is Bliss" school of thinking,I figured I'd just follow PGT"s cup method for making agar. Then I watched a video on no pour jars and thought that might be the way to go. Then I read a goodly portion of the thread @HrVanker posted,and suddenly I am aware of my total ignorance....not to mention I'm intimidated big time.

What I want to do is test the LC  I made for contaminants. Maybe I would be better off buying a few prepared petri dishes and not do the agar. That way I could confirm whether the LC is clean or not.Or I could do several pint jars of grain and inoculate and wait to see if contamination shows up.I think my Maz LC is bad, so I'd really like to confirm one way or another.

Just thinking out loud.

On edit: I think I'll try PGT's cup tek. It looks easy enough to follow. I'll keep some hot water handy and when all the cups are poured,I'll add cups filled with hot water on top to keep condensation down on the cups underneath. Should work in theory. I'll also scale back the amount so I don't have more cups poured than what I'll need.

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 05 May 2022 - 02:11 AM.

• phlegmbae likes this

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 816 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2022 - 10:19 PM

Definitely Make your own. It's really easy once You do it once or twice and you will be happy you learned. ? I mighta started off the same video. One piece of advice. Stir in your agar and other dry ingredients before water gets too hot. That was my first try headache.
  • ShortcutSlim likes this

#3 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 03:29 AM

Definitely Make your own. It's really easy once You do it once or twice and you will be happy you learned. ? I mighta started off the same video. One piece of advice. Stir in your agar and other dry ingredients before water gets too hot. That was my first try headache.

Thank you for that @Oldpunk  All good advice adds up,and I will remember to do that.   :)

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:49 AM

This tutorial is what empowered me to learn agar skills:

https://mycotopia.ne...s-banzai-style/

Plus one for pour your own!

#5 ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

ShroomyTravellerFromAfar

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 11:08 PM

A bit late here, i almost did the same, best to make our own, not sure of the age or what was used, possible even get it contaminated

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!