• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 11:36 PM

Hey folks, anybody else planning some exotics outdoor this year? I am planning a bunch of different things, Semperviva, various tampanensis, a wild Georgia Caerulescen I started from spore, Zaps, various Gyms and a bunch of other woodies too. I find the exotics get so healthy and big outside especially if you use good spawn and good substrate and the trip from the fruits is grounding and connected. I put some semp and tamp out early since the weather has been nice and tonight I go out to find 3 trippin year old raccoon siblings on my back porch rolling around and having a great time. They dug the oats out of the flower pots with the semp and were enjoying exploring the area and playing with each other. They kept coming up to the glass door and sniffing at my face and pawing at me. Cool creatures.

What are some of your favorite tips and tricks? One of mine is rolls of copper mesh. It keeps out all the slugs and snails which are my biggest problem.

• Coopdog, Arathu, bezevo and 3 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,193 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2022 - 08:58 AM

Welcome Nichrome !

You are a free member now, and can post or start your own threads in any of the forums. We have some accomplished growers of woodlovers here, so join in and get comfortable....

• BirdsArentReal and Nichrome like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2022 - 10:36 AM

Welcome Nichrome! I've set out a few trashcans with SC caerulescens, Mexicana "A" strain, Australian sect. zapo and a couple woodlovers. I have some more bags of other woodlovers to eventually move outside too. Hopefully I'll get lucky and get to see them fruit, eventually. I have harvested some pseudoaztecorum from an outdoor grow and they were very thick and heavy.

Good luck this season!
  • Nichrome likes this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2022 - 11:46 AM

More woodies......friggin awesome! Can't wait to see this...

Welcome to Mycotopia....the New Library at Alexandria....

A

• BirdsArentReal likes this

#5 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:43 PM

As soon as I get the hang of posting photos I'll share some photos from last year.
  • Arathu, Skywatcher, bezevo and 1 other like this

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:34 PM

Have some similar projects. I enjoy using thatch from the yard in all my beds.

• BirdsArentReal and Nichrome like this

#7 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:20 PM

Tampanensis already popping up in my flower pots this year. It is interesting to see tamps before my ovoids have popped out. I guess there is a first time for everything although I am not surprised. I still had tamps last october close to Halloween when day temps were in the mid/low 40's F.  This is a clone from last years outdoor tamp (tamp-A x ATL7 F1). The fruit that was cloned had about an 80mm lobed cap. It does very well inside too.

tmp1.jpeg tmp2.jpeg

• Arathu, bezevo, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#8 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:29 PM

That is pretty cool! Do you overwinter your tamps somewhere or are they left to the elements? I wonder if they are producing stones?

#9 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 06:30 PM

I start in the spring with fresh clean spawn. I live in zone 5 and they die off when it freezes.

#10 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2022 - 06:51 PM

Thank you Nichrome, that makes sense. You mentioned the N/E so I knew you got cold in winter.

#11 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 10:39 PM

Tamps are cool and seem to just make flush after flush after flush outside.

• bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#12 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 05:40 PM

tampi.jpg

Tamps outside are set and forget. Jelly of the month club.

• Arathu, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,380 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2022 - 06:51 PM

i'm in zone 5 also . zero native actibs here . i hape someday to naturlize something like ovoids .

good luck  Nichrome

BEZ !

• Nichrome likes this

#14 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 08:07 PM

i'm in zone 5 also . zero native actibs here . i hape someday to naturlize something like ovoids .

good luck  Nichrome

BEZ !

I live in zone 5 as well and all the active woodlovers I put in beds outside naturalize and live for many years if I keep feeding them. I know folks all the way up in Alaska that get ovoids to survive so I have hope for you.

• bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#15 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2022 - 10:44 AM

5 as well. Bez you'd be surprised what's not documented in your woods. 

Keep some woodies fed and your golden. Can't seem to get the timing right for the annual exotics. 

Gourmet blocks take a freeze just fine. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 18 June 2022 - 10:45 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#16 Nichrome

Nichrome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:16 PM

Tampanensis will start fruiting about 2 weeks after spawning outdoors in untreated potting soil. They will keep going till it freezes as long as water keeps happening. Last year I harvested tamps and P. cyanescens on the same day (Halloween). Tickled me pink doing that.

You still have time for tamps this year even if you start from spores next week.

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!