• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BillB73

BillB73

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:56 PM

This is going to be a little controversial, but how many of you still use injection ports on your lids????

About 9 years ago while doing some G2G's it occurred  to me that I am opening a fully colonized jar AND a freshly sterilized jar and my contam rates are always the same (low), so why bother with injection ports I asked myself. From that day on I've never used an injection port, I have opened every single jar to innoc. even LC's. I've never used a flowhood, everything is done in a SAB and like I said my contam rates are real low. I'm not trying to change the world, but I really hate injection ports and if you feel the same, never use them again!!

...and just so I can add a few pics, here's how I do my lids.

IMG_3141.JPEG IMG_3142.JPEG IMG_3144.JPEG IMG_3143.JPEG

• TVCasualty, ElPirana, jrh and 1 other like this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 01:22 PM

That's a nice, clean lid setup. What's the filter material you're using?

I haven't used anything with an injection port in a long, long time. And then only for LCs. I quit using LCs (and agar) eventually, too.

Looks like you've got a real strong grip; it had never occurred to me to use a hole punch for paper on metal jar lids, lol. Looks like it worked well, too. I would have assumed that the force needed to punch through it would've bent/creased the lid and made it unusable. But being wrong is what I often get for assuming things.

• jrh and MushLuvR like this

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 592 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 01:22 PM

Personally I use injection ports. I have more of the little ones to put into punch holes than I'll ever use up, and some that just stick onto bags.

However, since you aren't using injection ports, you can flip over the lid so the gasket side is up and make sure the ring is 1/4 turn loose for airflow, and voila you have completely unmodified lids. :)

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 01:32 PM

Personally I use injection ports. I have more of the little ones to put into punch holes than I'll ever use up, and some that just stick onto bags.

However, since you aren't using injection ports, you can flip over the lid so the gasket side is up and make sure the ring is 1/4 turn loose for airflow, and voila you have completely unmodified lids. :)

Using the lids upside-down does work great for PF Tek-style jars, but that's also because of the dry verm layer that has to be there that acts as a filter.

For whole grain, a conventional type of filter is generally needed since grain has to be inoculated, and then shaken once or twice.

Grain is usually inoculated by something like agar wedges or colonized grain (or a chunky BRF slurry in my case)  which can't be injected past the verm layer like spore solution is. You can inject mycelium from LC past a verm barrier but then you still have the shaking problem.

• jrh and MushLuvR like this

#5 BillB73

BillB73

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 03:47 PM

That's a nice, clean lid setup. What's the filter material you're using?

I haven't used anything with an injection port in a long, long time. And then only for LCs. I quit using LCs (and agar) eventually, too.

Looks like you've got a real strong grip; it had never occurred to me to use a hole punch for paper on metal jar lids, lol. Looks like it worked well, too. I would have assumed that the force needed to punch through it would've bent/creased the lid and made it unusable. But being wrong is what I often get for assuming things.

Thank you, the filter is just EZ felt from my local hobby shop.

....and the hole punch was game changer for me. You can put a brand new lid together in less then a minute....granted you have the felt cut.

• MushLuvR likes this

#6 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,152 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 04:28 PM

I also stopped using injection ports on all my jars except LC, still use homemade injection ports on those. Still air boxes work amazingly well if you use good technique and if the SAB is appropriately sized (not too small).
  • MushLuvR likes this

#7 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2022 - 03:10 PM

I haven't used needles in SO long, I have been squirting in a SAB for a long time under the lids (syringe cap unscrewed).  I do have lids with SHIPS, but they are glorified SFD's at this point (Rarely do LC to LC).  Once you lock in your SAB Technique, you will be successful NO Doubt!   :chucks:

MushL 

• ElPirana and BillB73 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!