Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

growing mushrooms is saying goodbye to life?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmicwave

Cosmicwave

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys

I've been thinking about a few things, and I've had some doubts.

I've been growing shrooms for a short time and I've been following basic steps to the letter.
For example: I fan and spray water on the sides of my monotubs three times a day, every day.

Is all this support really necessary?
I'm not doing a lot of things because I have this daily commitment, and honestly, I wouldn't like to stop growing mushrooms, but I also wouldn't want to be so radical that I don't go out with my friends, or sleep at my girlfriend's house at the end of week.

I've been reading about in vitro cultivation, but the yield is much lower than what I've had, and I love seeing great rewards... I've been very happy with that.

Any suggestion?

Peace for all!
  • GalenOl and Ivyaxiox like this

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2022 - 08:46 PM

Hi Cosmicwave, there's no reason to give up your life in order to grow some mushrooms.  Over time I've become more of a minimalist with cultivation and has allowed me to spend more time with the things that are important to me, similar to what you're describing as your desire for yourself.

Cubensis are very forgiving.  Although you can mist and fan three times a day, you don't have to.  I've been using fruiting methods that allow me to mostly just leave them alone.  And even if I go days without touching them, (and as long as there's no contamination) they will produce mushrooms. 

You should try looking at fahtster's fruiting method using ziplock bags, it is very simple and you really don't need to touch anything until ready to harvest if you don't want to.  https://mycotopia.ne...ng-chambers-fc/

I recently tried a shoebox tub, the tub was unmodified.  I just set the lid loosely on top until the pinning was strong, then removed the lid and placed another tub upside-down on top (again, not sealed) and allowed the pins to finish growing, never touching it.  You can take a look here:  https://mycotopia.ne...26#entry1501517

And with other parts of growing, don't worry too much about doing things "on time".  Like if you take a couple extra days to spawn to bulk, or to get that casing layer on, it's generally ok to wait.  This happens to me all the time and it pretty much always works out ok. 

• Mycomaniac2007, Baphom3t, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#3 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:10 AM

I am a minimalist style grower and as ElPirana said, cubes are very forgiving.
Outside of the info and links he supplied, I can add that not worrying about being "on time" about things also means during the colonization stage as well.
A fully colonized jar / bag can be put in the refrigerator for a few months.

I've had fully colonized bags in the fridge for six months before and still have them fruit with no issues.
Knowing little tricks comes in handy when you need to go on the road for about a month or so or be faced with life issues beyond your control. I've went to 3 - 4 day festivals and left my tubs cracked for air exchange and came back to tubs ready for harvest. Don't be afraid to experiment with the growing method you have become comfortable with. You will begin to find you can simplify your method which will allow you to feel more free to do what you want.
Safe travels man.

• ElPirana and Cosmicwave like this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:34 AM

The easiest method is growing outdoors.

Building spawn indoors is the hardest part of the task. Once you have colonized spawn you can lay it out on un-pasteurized cow or horse manure. Just shred the aged, leached manure and wet it in a wheelbarrow. Lay it out in a flower bed and case with leaves and straw. Allow the drip irrigation system to water the bed. Collect mushrooms once they emerge.

My biggest harvests came from the flower bed.

• Mycomaniac2007, ElPirana, Stroker and 2 others like this

#5 Cosmicwave

Cosmicwave

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 01:02 PM

The easiest method is growing outdoors.
Building spawn indoors is the hardest part of the task. Once you have colonized spawn you can lay it out on un-pasteurized cow or horse manure. Just shred the aged, leached manure and wet it in a wheelbarrow. Lay it out in a flower bed and case with leaves and straw. Allow the drip irrigation system to water the bed. Collect mushrooms once they emerge.
My biggest harvests came from the flower bed.

but man, if growing with unpasteurized manure works, why pasteurize it? Can you tell me some tek you use? Or was it based on your experience? I was very excited about this possibility... if you can tell me more about it, it will be of great help.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!