• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stroker

Stroker

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 08:11 PM

I have four jars of oats almost ready for g2g transfer. Two RBX and two B+. Just getting things together. I remember maybe a 60 something tote. I might of used back in the day. Shoeboxs doubled up as well. What do you all use? Why were at it what do you use for bulk substrate? Just coir/verm?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#2 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 09:41 PM

Here's my 2 cents worth. I've settled on the 32 qt sterilite bin, its usual use is for file storage. I like the ease of maintenance compared to the larger bins.

As for bulk sub I've stayed with the manure based sub with a 2:1:1 ratio of manure:coir:vermiculite (not including the other minor additives) and a sub to grain ratio of 2:1. I tried doing a 3:1 ratio several times but consistently ran into contam problems because of the slow colonization time. But there's a but here, I suspect the contams were associated with running the AC during the warm months, all those higher rates of contams during the summer were being stirred up by the AC. Since changing my cultivation to the fall, winter, spring months the contam rates have dropped drastically.

#3 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2022 - 05:12 PM

I still have my 66qt Mono that's over a decade old.  I used to put 5-7 quarts in when I was green to the game.  I went back-to-back Mono's and didn't grow for almost 2 years after that I had so many.  Oh, back in the day when I only grew Cubes.  My first attempt at bulk, but I had grown some smaller projects Tub In Tub style with a couple of exchanges a day.  Anyway, Dialing in a Mono is fun or was fun I should say, but I'm into smaller projects and more of them lately.  I should do a Mono grow again tho', since it was my first attempt at bulk (2010 or 11 I think... probably the latter) and has that nostalgic feeling that gets me excited.  I know people used to use 54qt Mono's as well, I used to use my 16qt as a Mini Mono, did well with 2 quarts of spawn with old school Poly Fil.  Been meaning to run some Micropore tape style, but my 12qt boot boxes keep me plenty busy.  Thank you for the Triggered Mono Memories... classic style of growing that is still valid today.  :meditate:

MushL  

#4 Stroker

Stroker

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 07:21 PM

Here's my 2 cents worth. I've settled on the 32 qt sterilite bin, its usual use is for file storage. I like the ease of maintenance compared to the larger bins.
As for bulk sub I've stayed with the manure based sub with a 2:1:1 ratio of manure:coir:vermiculite (not including the other minor additives) and a sub to grain ratio of 2:1. I tried doing a 3:1 ratio several times but consistently ran into contam problems because of the slow colonization time. But there's a but here, I suspect the contams were associated with running the AC during the warm months, all those higher rates of contams during the summer were being stirred up by the AC. Since changing my cultivation to the fall, winter, spring months the contam rates have dropped drastically.

#5 Stroker

Stroker

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 07:22 PM

Thanks, mind walking me through your substrate preparation?

#6 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 11:01 PM

Sure, it might take a little mental perusing but I think I can. First step is clean out the detritus from organic manure, larger sticks and stones and other crap cows eat. I got some 1/4" hardware cloth and affixed it to a wood frame and use it as a sifter. All that crap can hide contams. For every 2 qts of grain I take 4 qts manure, 1.5 qts coir and 1.5 qts verm, 1/8 c azomite (trace elements), and 1/2 c coffee grounds. Mix it all in a oven roaster bag and slowly add water to field capacity.I start off with 2 cups of 9.5 PH water and spring water for the rest. The PH comes out pretty close to 7 once field capacity has been reached. At this point my method differs somewhat from others but it works out pretty well for me. I've got a 30qt (???) slow roaster (not slow cooker) that I use to pasteurize the sub. I get an aluminum turkey roasting pan that fits into the metal liner and use it as a "boat"  to float the sub on a gallon of water. I set the roaster to 160. It gives it an even heat and no drying that you would encounter with an oven. In addition I use a remote thermometer put to the center of the sub so I know when it reaches 160 and time it for 2 hrs from there.

This recipe will give you about 3" of sub in the tub I use once everything is mixed together. I do a little more prep to the tub that's not normal, I drill three 9/32" equal spaced holes along the long sides of the tub just above the sub level. When it comes time to dunk the tub I run three 1/4" wood dowels side to side to hold the sub down. Works like a charm!

Am I going overboard with my method? Maybe, but I've gotten the contams under control that were plaguing me for a long time. Combined with the agar work I've been doing with the mycelia I'm getting really fast colonization of the sub. It used to take a good week after spawning but now it's more like 4 days (sometimes 3) and the surface is totally colonized. I'm pleased (and amazed) that the mycelia is propagating so fast.

• ElPirana, Stroker and ShortcutSlim like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!