• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stroker

Stroker

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 08:05 PM

I went out to a farm today and grabbed three, five gallon buckets of hpoo. It was from the middle of a big pile. It looks like soil. Is this the type I want? Figure I will start off small mixing it with coir and verm?20220606_195802.jpg
  • Myc, Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 10:35 PM

As long as it doesn't smell of urine you should be good to go. I've never used horse poo but I understand there's little difference between that and cow poo. You might want to check with the owner as to whether he/she uses grain as feed for them, the reason being that some grain is treated with a anti-fungicide, not great for shroom cultivation. Years ago the treated grain was used to control shroom development in field patties therefore controlling midnight raids by field hippies. It's probably a thing of the past but you never know...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 06 June 2022 - 10:36 PM.

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2022 - 04:03 AM

I used to collect hpoo from the trails where the "fox hunters" rode....snooty HPOO grows massive cubes......then leave it to dry out crispy dry in the sunshine.....I still have some in a big old pretzel jar actually....

Seems to me that regardless of the critter, (whatever kind of poo you find and use) the substrate consistency and it's hydration is the most important thing to pay attention to....

Back in the cubie days I used straight pasteurized HPOO and adjusted my substrate hydration with coarse to dense verm, made plenty of tubs and also beds outside both spawned with grain spawn.....it worked very well....

One thing is for certain IME, the substrate cannot be muddy consistency at all....nice and fluffy like a good bread stuffing is what I shoot for......

Might as well make good dirt from poop.....when you're done with the substrates make soils and grow food from it too......

SWEET!

A

• Myc, Stroker, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#4 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 853 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2022 - 11:16 AM

Years ago the treated grain was used to control shroom development in field patties therefore controlling midnight raids by field hippies. ...

Hahahaha.......
Field hippies.

Thank you for the laugh.
  • MushLuvR likes this

#5 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:31 PM

Years ago the treated grain was used to control shroom development in field patties therefore controlling midnight raids by field hippies. ...

Hahahaha.......
Field hippies.

Thank you for the laugh.

I borrowed the "field hippies" reference from an album done in the late 60's by Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies - American Metaphysical Circus. It's quite a trippy album in its own right.

• Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!