4 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2022 - 11:59 AM

My kid asked me this yesterday with the cutest most innocent voice.  She obviously heard something about it from friends or from ticktock or whatever, but is still left wondering.  I froze.  I wish I would have had the perfect answer ready.  I think I need a good video.  Does anyone have any idea how Im supposed to answer this question most informatively and honestly...?  

Edited by riseabovethought, 08 June 2022 - 12:34 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,059 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2022 - 01:57 PM

I would try going a bit clinical at first.

"Shrooms" is an abbreviation of the word mushrooms which is a generic term for certain fungi which produce fruitbodies.

Fungi are vastly varied in their appearance, behavior, choice if environment, etc.

For example, yeast are single-celled fungi which never produce fruitbodies. They are magical in that they can live in either an aerobic state or an anaerobic state. They can also tolerate ethanol where most other micro-organisms cannot.

There are prized gourmet mushrooms which are delicious as food and there are those which have medicinal properties that can be used to treat cancer, various illnesses, depression, etc.

I'm glad you asked. Shrooms are cool. I have a feeling that they are the future of medicine.

• Coopdog, Arathu, riseabovethought and 4 others like this

#3 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 863 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2022 - 04:40 PM

After the clinical bit. If you use it. Explain that the ones she heard about are ones that alter your mood and perceptions. The way that beer and wine do....in a different way. Maybe compare with marijuana if your comfortable doing so. And if anyone gives you some and want to ask more questions, please do.

Depending on how old she is there's a lot to filter out for later. If she's teenager stage, the more you tell her is probably better. Grade school age just stick to the minimum comparison to beer and wine.

My 2 cents.
The more open and honest you are the better your kids will be prepared to make their own decisions
  • Myc, Coopdog, Arathu and 2 others like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,631 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:13 PM

Spot on advice IMHO, ......all of my kids have been taught the straight up skinny and it's value.....no matter the question....truth is what we need to proceed...

I answered their questions, always will in fact, with sincere and deep caring truth.....many times to their and their friends utter shock I'm sure....

But for me, as soon as anyone, I don't care who it is, asks about mushrooms I immediately include the 100% ID rule for consumption in the conversation....... with emphasis....

It is quite possible they may be the ones that save their friends arse's while protecting their own....at least I hope so.....They KNOW they can ask me and get the low down....

A

Edited by Arathu, 08 June 2022 - 07:15 PM.

• Myc, Coopdog, riseabovethought and 1 other like this

#5 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2022 - 11:10 AM

I knew you were the best people to ask.  Thank you!

• Coopdog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!