• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stroker

Stroker

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:29 PM

What type of bags and sub mix are you guys using? Got some pink oyster lc and putting some on grain tonight. Thinking of trying a outdoor straw patch, five gallon buckets with aspen chips and if I can figure out how to make a fruiting block....lol
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2022 - 05:04 PM

Aspen chips is or are the easiest since you won't have to pasteurize them (Straw would be advised to pasteurize).  Sterilizing blocks takes 2 hours at least, bigger blocks I would run 2.5 (I use Unicorn 3T).  I also run hardwood fuel pellets supplemented, but for oysters, I doubt the supplementation is necessary since Oysters will grow on just about anything.  Pink Oysters almost taste like bacon prepared in a pan with olive oil and other spices.  Delicioso!  All the Best... Of luck!

MushL

Edited by MushLuvR, 09 June 2022 - 05:05 PM.

• Stroker likes this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,566 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:12 AM

I have bags from several vendor's/manufacturer's and all of them work just fine....as Mush said you'll have to sterilize blocks in a PC for at least two hours (I tend to go even longer but I also usually have at least three bags per/PC/run so......

Aspen chips I haven't used but there are so many substrates that oysters will grow on and fruit from....I've grown oysters on nothing but scrap paper pulp (egg cartons, packing cartons, torn up cardboard, and etc.) 

Oysters are an excellent paper/wood recycling partner......for me it usually comes down to what substrates are available at the time. If I'm making blocks they are from sawdust (lumber mills everywhere here) and mulch supplemented with wheat bran. Again those have to be sterilized.....straw can be a pain in the butt sometimes and I second the pasteurizing comment. Most straw already has quite the load of organisms in it already IME.....not necessarily a show stopper but something to keep in mind..

A   

• bezevo and Stroker like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!