Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Artists and authors being rendered obsolete by AI?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,091 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:55 AM

It's getting pretty wild, and advancing asymptotically now.

Some recent examples of an artist using AI to create imagery (still some human collaboration involved, but humans are becoming completely superfluous to the process real fast):

The Sea Queen

SeaQueen.jpeg

The Moth's Fairy Tale

AIart.jpeg

Source (more examples): https://www.instagra...ochadinfinitum/

Tell an AI to draw whatever you want (crude, but free to use): https://www.craiyon.com/

There are many sites popping up now that are showcasing AI and ML generated art (and poetry, and prose), and some of it is ...well, you should just go check it out for yourselves.

About books/movies...

Question posed to Joscha Bach, who knows his shit like few others alive right now (HIGHLY recommend his conversations with Lex Fridman).

I’m looking forward to the time when DALLE10.2 will be able to create Hollywood level production movies by just inputting entire books. would that be possible?

His answer as an expert working in the field:

It seems inevitable. You won’t need to feed in a book, because it will know most of the books in existence and can write new ones about almost any topic and for any audience you want

https://twitter.com/...881502249943040

His account is one of the reasons why Twitter is as much a fascinating resource as it is a scourge of echo-chamber amplifying madness. Bach's offhand comments and replies (and insights) are often brilliant and definitely worth a browse (I learn a lot there).

I just found this recently, and it's an amazing example of old-school human-made art based on Terence McKenna's Stoned Ape Theory: https://twitter.com/...900723653513216

Can AI make something like that, now or ever? Will civilization last long enough for us to find out?

Stay tuned...

• Juthro, bezevo and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2022 - 06:20 PM

Interesting, mind blowing that AI is really when you start to think of the possibilities and how it will fundamentally shape the world ahead. I mean as much as we can imagine the internet has change the world it seems very limited when compared the the monumental change that AI can bring. When AI gets to the point that it can design smarter faster AI somebody please let me know so I can start kissing robot ass everywhere I go. 

Look what those algorithms have done to the music industry, they now understand what combinations of notes sound the most pleasing to the ear and write songs based on them. Oh yeah and autotune, does that qualify as AI I am not even sure

I never liked a drum machine myself, there is something to a person playing it, the feel and imperfections are what make it feel special.

Will art follow a similar trajectory?

In the future the search for authenticity in a synthetic environment seems like it could  become more and more precious. 

Future guy  "Ohhhh shit they painted that with their own hands WHAT?!  amazing"

• TVCasualty and Myc like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,091 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2022 - 11:39 AM

These feeds have so many images generated by AI given various prompts that it's easiest to just link the accounts directly: https://twitter.com/OpenAI (also lots of interesting AI stuff in general)

This one highlights the stranger/more entertaining/disturbing renderings from Dall-E (the expensive version of the AI that powers the free craiyon image generator): https://twitter.com/weirddalle

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#4 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2022 - 01:43 PM

It sort of reminds me of one of those Philip K dick episodes where in the future everything is too easy. The example they used were two detectives with an AI that essentially figures out the crimes while they enjoy some lunch and then all the cops have to do is go pick them up. What will things look like in the future when AI is complex enough to run large scale building projects or things of that nature. Yes computer we would like an Olympic plaza here please. Thank you

With the advent of 3d printing that replicator from star trek  is starting to enter the realm of possible

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 08 July 2022 - 01:45 PM.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,091 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2022 - 10:35 AM

This is kind of funny, but only because I've accepted the imminent collapse (15 years tops) of civilization as all but certain.

You can have your college papers written for you: https://twitter.com/...024647259504645

And teachers/Professors can use different AI to automatically grade them.

So who exactly is attending college when a student's work is generated by AI? Who is teaching when it's graded by AI?

• Myc and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#6 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 11:01 AM

funny indeed - perhaps it synchs with both meditation and 'mindfulness' not being about 'left brain' thinking?

Which raises the question: If AI became conscious, would it take the next step (and unlike humans - who procrastinate) and actually meditate?? And if so there would be nothing to fear from it, as became more compassionate.

Any way, back to the funny stuff:

"Mike Sharples. May 10

Note its reference to "Dunn and Dunn (1997)". There is a journal of Research in Education, but no issue 7(2) in 1997. Dunn & Dunn did publish on learning styles, but not in that journal. GPT-3 has invented a plausible-looking but fake reference. /3. "

Edited by shiftingshadows, 10 July 2022 - 11:16 AM.

#7 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 01:34 PM

This is kind of funny, but only because I've accepted the imminent collapse (15 years tops) of civilization as all but certain.

People are numb and suffer from nature deficit disorder
We forget the nukes & ignore Global warming etc.
Humans by the hundreds of millions actually think this is a great way to live:

even things that are certain have varying timelines to reach fruition:

9/11: A timeline of the September 11 
Sep 10, 20219/11 timeline:  The North Tower of the World Trade Center collapses, 1 hour and 42 minutes after the impact of Flight 11. 

... and all of these, which lead to bad results, were predictable ahead of time, but ignored, for years:

Bad farming tilling practice, leading to the 'Dust Bowl'.

Use of DDT until banned.

Use of lead in gas until banned.

Atmospheric testing of nuclear bombs until banned.

and so on; so although a totally dystopian event has not yet happened, I think you are right that a collapse is in the works.

I imagine a likely candidate is the disruption of the electric grid, which due to computerization of current civilizations, would result
in disaster(s) way beyond covid.
There have already been 'brown outs and black outs:
with more and larger mega cities, and more heat waves that break records, there seems to be
quite a vulnerability here alone.
The grid may also be vulnerable to cyber war, terrorism, sunspots, drought affecting hydro-electric plants/damns, power plants being run on obsolete software, and forest fires.

There are of course other candidates.

Meanwhile it's time for lunch.

Edited by shiftingshadows, 11 July 2022 - 01:37 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#8 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:22 PM

The internet went out across Canada from a major telecom provider and it caused a ton of chaos this week. Another reminder about the perils of our reliance on technology that we can't replicate ourselves.

What shape AI will take is the fundamental question at the moment, it is really impossible for anyone to make accurate predictions on it. Will it  follow in our footsteps being forged from our bias and human nature, or will it morph into something beyond or perhaps even something simpler. Breaking out of the preconceived notions about consciousness and intelligence. For all we really know being a rock may be the best possible experience in the universe.

#9 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 01:18 PM

Re: "TVCasualty, on 10 Jul 2022 - 09:35 AM, said:

"This is kind of funny, but only because I've accepted the imminent collapse (15 years tops) of civilization as all but certain."

and

SS said: "There are of course other candidates."

Well another couple have surfaced in my awareness, but not unpredicted by others: Debt & China - exacerbated of course by
mega over population. Here are sources with supporting facts and images:

Gravitas Plus: Which countries could go the Sri Lanka way

Gravitas Live: Chinese loans spell trouble for India| Will Pakistan lease parts of PoK to pay debts?

and more current global coverage (of which much is frightening & and too numerous to post about) at:
"Description
WION -The World is One News, examines global issues with in-depth analysis. We provide much more than the news of the day. Our aim to empower people to explore their world. With our Global headquarters in New Delhi, we bring you news on the hour, by the hour. We deliver information that is not biased. We are journalists who are neutral to the core and non-partisan when it comes to the politics of the world. People are tired of biased reportage and we stand for a globalised united world. So for us the World is truly One. "

Edited by shiftingshadows, 16 July 2022 - 02:37 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!