• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 04:06 PM

Good afternoon. I also am a first time grower. Have read many forums watched painful amounts of videos and digested as much as I possibly could before starting. Ive Colonized a 4-5 grain spawns from LC succesfully and put my first GT to bulk in my mono. Im now approx 8 days in and my mycelium is Very Tomentose, very fluffy. I may have pre maturely changed to fruiting conditions yesterday But felt I had a good solid cake going. Also (and this could be a product of originally having too much humidity) I have little tiny water droplet type formations on top of the mycelium in certain places. I dont know if this is a result of condensation forming on the lid and falling or possibly some sort of contam or mold growing? it looks as though I cannot post any pictures because im a new member but everything is snow white so It looks good and smells good, Just looking for some experienced perspective. Thanks!

• ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,016 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2022 - 09:43 AM

New members are always welcome to upload photos. Here's how:

https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

From your description the project is progressing just as should be expected. Keep on keeping on and see if you can post up a pic or two for reference.

Welcome Monkfish93 !

• Moonless and MushLuvR like this

#3 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 02:21 PM

IMG_1481.jpg

Thank you! im exited to be apart of this forum and thank you for the info! here is a picture of what I have so far.

Edited by Monkfish93, 10 July 2022 - 08:47 PM.

• Myc, Uncle G, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,016 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2022 - 10:53 AM

That project looks great. I would case it so pins can form.

Moving this out to Magic Mushrooms for more views and commentary.

• YoshiTrainer, MushLuvR and Monkfish93 like this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:35 PM

The water beads on the surface are where you want to be, that's a good thing, and most don't distinguish "fruiting" once you spawn, there are many folks that give plenty of Air throughout the entire cycle, I can't personally, too dry here, but always remember, MORE Air is better than NONE. Non gasket style tubs with the snap lids' breath just fine for most of the fruiting cycle, then flip lid for beautiful fruits and well-developed caps once pins are Set.  You definitely have some overlay going on, as mentioned above, casing would help tremendously.  If you decide against it, keep the beads up on the surface and let the Mono do all the work.   :meditate:

MushL

• Myc, Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:36 PM

The water beads on the surface are where you want to be, that's a good thing, and most don't distinguish "fruiting" once you spawn, there are many folks that give plenty of Air throughout the entire cycle, I can't personally, too dry here, but always remember, MORE Air is better than NONE. Non gasket style tubs with the snap lids' breath just fine for most of the fruiting cycle, then flip lid for beautiful fruits and well-developed caps once pins are Set.  You definitely have some overlay going on, as mentioned above, casing would help tremendously.  If you decide against it, keep the beads up on the surface and let the Mono do all the work.   :meditate:

MushL

Thank you for the information, I Greatly appreciate the response.  I just recently started reading about casing. I may move forward with that method if I do not see any pinning soon. Also I have had some trouble finding reliable information on weather your casing layer should be Coir or Verm or weather it needs to be pasteurized or can just be dry Coir sprayed down after being laid. I have some pasteurized bulk made of Coir Verm and gyp leftover from a tub I put to bulk yesterday (would that be sufficient?) As of now im at 12 days since putting my spawn bag to bulk. Six since putting starting to fan my tub, introducing it to indirect light and misting. Today upon looking at it Ive noticed to be what looks like very early stage very tomentose primordia happening in the mycelium. So fingers crossed! 

Edited by Monkfish93, 13 July 2022 - 05:21 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 12:02 PM

Here's another source to dive into --> http://www.en.psilos...sophy.info).pdf

The guy is something of a legend in the shroom cultivation.community. The hard part is going through all the repetition to get to the gold. Happy digging!

• Monkfish93 likes this

#8 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 03:01 PM

Update! I am pleased to see all these little guys poking up heads 

Attached Thumbnails

• 71522.jpg

• Myc, Arathu, jkdeth and 3 others like this

#9 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2022 - 04:03 PM

You have Pins and more coming, moisture on surface looks good, let ER do what it Duz.  

To answer your question, you can definitely use CVG for casing, I've even used it for Edible blocks, works perfectly.  Here is the REAL scoop on Coco.  You can do whatever you want with it, I've hydrated straight from the tap, although it isn't my preferred method (subs were kind of fluffy instead of dense like I'm used to but worked ALL the same).  But at the end of the day, it's the best hands down for newer folks AND journeyman alike.  You can hydrate it, sterilize it, pasteurize, it just doesn't matter.  I like to throw my gallon of water on the stove to about 170 degrees and in the bucket, it goes for ten minutes.  Stir after 10 mins, let it sit for another 30 minutes, an HOUR whenever you feel like it basically.  If you are in a hurry, NO PROBLEM, throw your Coir in a bigger Tote (hint... your Mono) or something to cool off faster (after 20 or so minutes after the Stir, you want it to absorb as much moisture as possible).  Believe me, if you contaminate, it's your spawn, or you've exhausted the sub (or over misting without enough Air will Trich out) with SO many flushes it's just time for something else to take over the break down process, it won't be from Coco or Verm.  You can also run Coco on its own, but I like Verm added personally, but again, not required and a preference situation (I grow PE or variants most of time and they are water HOGS).  Best of luck, you are on a Great path for success, Solid Healthy PINS... OH yeah.   :meditate:

MushL 

Edited by MushLuvR, 15 July 2022 - 04:06 PM.

• YoshiTrainer and Monkfish93 like this

#10 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 04:32 PM

Thankyou a ton for all the wisdom. its greatly appreciated. I think I may have been lacking in FAE and too much moisture in the beggining of the fruiting stage which may have slowed down the process?  I learned alot on this run. I just put B+ to bulk in another tub a few days ago and it is much more rhizomorphic and moving along much quicker! I plan to try and use a casing layer for them to see if it helps my pinning. Ill post another pic when these guys get a bit bigger.

• MushLuvR likes this

#11 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:43 PM

You may have delayed pin set by a few days with too much moisture, happens to us all, regular cubes are anywhere from 5 days to Pins or 8 or so days on the longer end of the spectrum.  PE is worse, pins won't come in until day 11ish and by day 15 or 16 should be good to go and finished around day 21.  I need to run my AA+ again, I'm talking PINS to sporulating fruits in 2 days.  I may have a picture somewhere.  Check out what happens when you go closer to 3 days.

P1090693.JPG

P1090726.JPG

Mini Mono, but was started in a Martha first 2 flushes, I just used the Mono

as a chamber (testing and didn't care about the 3rd or 4th, surprised me with this decent 3rd you see above).  

MushL

Edited by MushLuvR, 15 July 2022 - 05:48 PM.

• Monkfish93 likes this

#12 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:04 PM

Thats incredible. Id imagine you could almost pull up a chair and watch them grow!

• MushLuvR likes this

#13 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:11 PM

Thats incredible. Id imagine you could almost pull up a chair and watch them grow!

Or find a another way to put yourself to sleep...

• MushLuvR likes this

#14 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 02:59 PM

okay soo.. My fruits are coming in nicely but upon fanning my tub and examining the mycelium I noticed some spots around the edges on the tip of the cake that look to have some bluish dark spots on them as seen in a picture below. Is this something I should be worried about? Possibly mold/contam or is it just bruising on the mycelium?

Attached Thumbnails

• potential fuck up.jpg

• Uncle G and MushLuvR like this

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,016 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2022 - 03:34 PM

The mycelium is a bit bruised. You're good. Nice work!

• MushLuvR and Monkfish93 like this

#16 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 16 July 2022 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for being a part.  Looking really good. 

• MushLuvR and Monkfish93 like this

#17 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 09:58 PM

awesome thanks! im very happy with the number of fruits. I counted roughly 130 growing fruits as of a couple days ago! this is a picture from today approx 10 days after changing to filters fanning and misting! once again thank you all for the help and answering my silly questions.

Attached Thumbnails

• 71622.jpg

• Myc and MushLuvR like this

#18 Monkfish93

Monkfish93

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 06:08 PM

Im contemplating picking my mushrooms early. Ive read alot of discussion on early vs just before veil break vs closed veil (veil just barely showing) it seems like by comparison more people would say that they get higher potency out of smaller (not fully mature mushrooms) over bigger matured ones.. maybe I should just pick all my biggest ones (now standing about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall closed) and then let the rest grow? I know its a beat up topic. Just airing out my thoughts incase anyone feels like weighing in. They certainly look nicer in there smaller (veil barely showing) form.

#19 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,010 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2022 - 07:59 AM

Regular Cubes will SPOREfest your tub is the main reason to pick once the veil starts to tear.  Otherwise, it's up to you at that point when to pick and potency is determined genetically and how well they are grown.  I've seen fruits pop from a crappy tub, doesn't mean they are potent, most of the time they will be weak.  It's just like anything else you grow, if it's not grown to its full potential, it won't ever be the best of its capability.  Cannabis is a perfect example, anyone can grow some outdoor bud, doesn't make it TOP shelf.  :weedpoke:

MushL

#20 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 21 July 2022 - 07:16 AM

Im contemplating picking my mushrooms early. Ive read alot of discussion on early vs just before veil break vs closed veil (veil just barely showing) it seems like by comparison more people would say that they get higher potency out of smaller (not fully mature mushrooms) over bigger matured ones.. maybe I should just pick all my biggest ones (now standing about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall closed) and then let the rest grow? I know its a beat up topic. Just airing out my thoughts incase anyone feels like weighing in. They certainly look nicer in there smaller (veil barely showing) form.

I think its roll of the dice sometimes.  Years ago I had one without the cap even beginning to open sitting on screen on lamp drying and it made my walls melt.  I think that me being at work all day and maybe whatever drugs I may have been using at the time may have played a part but maybe no. .     

• mycomaniacsirk, bezevo and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!