• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 12:06 AM

Things are becoming clearer with the micro grows, the PE6 and GWM continue to colonize while the TW was slow out of the gate but picked up the pace during the day so there's some hope for it yet. The PE6 and GWM are close to 70% colonized and the TW maybe 10%.

The McKennai is about 90% colonized and I'd like to get some kind of consensus on when to put it to FC. Usually I wait until I see primordia but with the tomentose mycelia would I better off putting it to FC when the surface gets fully colonized or wait the extra time? I'm concerned with the possibility of getting overlay development on it with the attendant problems it brings to the party.

#22 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:40 PM

For being such old jars the micro grows are doing better than expected. Both the PE and GWM are fully colonized on the surface so can't complain. The TW is slowly gaining on the others, maybe another three days and it will be fully colonized. All three are exhibiting rhizome mycelia which I prefer. Maybe in another week I'll see pins on everything except the TW.

• Uncle G likes this

#23 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:21 AM

I decided to put the Mckennai and GWM to FC this morning. Lots of beads of perspiration on the surface of both and a couple days ago the mycelia that was standing up on the GWM decided to lay down. I took that as an indication it was ready or really water logged, I'm banking on the former. I could probably put the PE to FC but I'm gonna hold off for a couple more days unless anyone thinks it's ready... Interesting little observation here, I have the Mckennai on a seedling mat set to 75 F but the readout was showing 82 this morning,

The pics in order of appearance: Mckennai, PE6, and GWM. The pic of the TW was a meaningless blob of moisture so no point in showing it plus it's not ready for prime time so to speak, still too sparse on colonization. All three jars were inoculated at the same time, maybe that speaks to the vitality of the TW over long term in the fridge compared to the other two.

DSC01871 (Medium).JPG DSC01872 (Medium).JPG DSC01878 (Medium).JPG

Considering how well these are doing I'm kinda regretting tossing the PB grain...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 07 August 2022 - 09:32 AM.

• Arathu, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#24 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:50 PM

Ever thought of doing a hard scrap?   I would.   Like a with a mist.   Looks great btw.   Your going to be a poppa. 

• Arathu likes this

#25 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:42 AM

Ever thought of doing a hard scrap? I would. Like a with a mist. Looks great btw. Your going to be a poppa.

I've never done that, can you describe the process? I don't want to ruin what I've got going here through ignorance! Thanks for the suggestion! One other thing I usually do is put bubble wrap on top to simulate a micro climate, I forgot to do it this time.

I decided to put the PE to FC, the mycelia fronds kept getting longer/higher like it was searching for something. The TW on the other hand continues to be on the wimpy side so I'm leaving alone for the time being.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 08 August 2022 - 08:47 AM.

#26 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,484 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2022 - 05:52 PM

like it was searching for something

Think about that......you and me, all of us........ too? Searching for something.....

Right on, first and foremost I would say additional foods, that's a necessity for survival.....what will happen when it doesn't find it? Air, moisture, instead....

Those subs look awesome....can't wait to see this......

A

• FunnyFarmer and MushLuvR like this

#27 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:01 AM

like it was searching for something

Think about that......you and me, all of us........ too? Searching for something.....

Right on, first and foremost I would say additional foods, that's a necessity for survival.....what will happen when it doesn't find it? Air, moisture, instead....

Those subs look awesome....can't wait to see this......

A

What you said is why I put it to FC! Put it to fruiting before it wastes all its energy looking for something. Some of that mycelia was well over an inch long and forming pom poms on the ends.

I've been growing for a couple years so far and learned a lot during that time from several sources. I won't name them but I'm sure you can surmise the vast majority. Two major steps was learning to use agar (of course) and LC (the next logical step). Another lesser but important step was cleaning the manure of foreign detritus, sticks, stones and the odd feed bag remnants.

So when you say the subs look awesome that reassures me I'm headed in the right direction. I'll make sure to post pics as things change with the grows. I'm still concerned with the TW and don't hold much hope for it to survive, the vitality isn't very good compared to the others. But I do have some LC of it for future grows and that is vigorous.

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#28 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:16 PM

I put the final micro grow to FC this morning, it too was rising to the occasion. The Mckennai and GWM are showing early signs of developing primordia and it shouldn't be long before the PE joins in the fun. Of all the grows only the Mckennai is tomentose mycelia except for a little patch in one corner of the tub, I'm not sure what it might be, it might be rhizomes mycelia.

DSC01879 (Medium).JPG

The Mckennai has developed a sheen over the whole surface and I'm not sure what it is either, might it be overlay or is it something else? Or am I worrying about nothing...

DSC01881 (Medium).JPG

#29 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 07:46 PM

Every time I opened the Mckennai to fan it no smell greeted my nose even after putting my nose right up to the sub. I'm attributing that to the coating I mentioned on an earlier post here. I remembered a post elsewhere where the person tried lightly raking the surface with a fork. I got less than half way through the process and the strong smell of shrooms drifted up. Much better!

#30 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 494 posts

Posted Today, 10:29 AM

I found some tiny shrooms on two of the micro grows, PE and GWM, but nothing on the Mckennai or TW yet. No primordia on the Mckennai either so I'm kinda worried about that, enough so that I scraped It again. Got the familiar smell, time will tell if it's a bust or just being stubborn.

Edit: and they are growing...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, Today, 04:32 PM.

• bezevo likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!