29 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,309 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2022 - 11:16 PM

This is kinda freaking me out because I don't have any logical reason for why....

Tuesday evening, just watching some TV, playing with the dogs, a very normal night around here.

Around 8:00, my left hip started to hurt for no apparent reason. I was sitting in my recliner, so I just tried to relax until it passed. But it did not pass, and continued to get worse with some loss of feeling in my left foot. I decided to try to walk it off, but when I stood up, the pain in my hip was really strong and i couldn't go very far before i had to sit back down.

This kept amplifying until it was time for bed at 10:00. The pain level was now so much that I could barely walk, hanging on to anything near. I was hoping once I got into bed laying down that it would subside. I felt like I could not hold my leg straight, and it was getting really weak. I am usually on my feet pretty much all day doing things, so this was really feeling scary. I tried to lay in bed, but the pain kept getting worse until I couldn't stand it. I wanted to try to get back to my chair.

I could barely stand, and my leg would not move forward without pulling it with my hand, and every small step was excruciating in my hip. I was stuck in the hall and had to call for my partner to help me. Even hanging on to him, getting to the den and my chair took over ten minutes as every little movement was almost unbearable.

I got to the chair finally, and was just going to stay there until morning. I had taken a good dose of Kratom, but had my partner bring me a Vicoden. It was enough that if I didn't move, i managed to dose off a few times, but sleeping wasn't happening. Unfortunately the usual need to pee a couple times still happened, and it was all I could do to get to the door 10 feet from me and piss out the door.

When morning came, I couldn't stand, let alone walk with any weight or pressure on my left leg. I was really afraid because there was nothing I did to bring this on.

I tried to get an appointment with any doctor to get x-rays, but after 2 hours it was looking like unless i wanted to pay for an ambulance to emergency, I wasn't going to see anyone that day....

My partner dug out a walker we had in the garage, and I was pretty scared. Not being able to walk and extreme pain with almost no sleep isn't good for the imagination. I was totally relying on my partner to bring me anything, but he has extreme pain issues himself, and usually rely's on me to help him. So I started with ice packs on my hip for 20 minutes at a time, and taking naproxen to reduce inflammation. not really knowing what was going on. I was also taking a good amount of pain medication i was grateful I had.

As the morning went on, something started working and with all my weight on my good leg and the walker, I could at least get to the bathroom.

By mid day, the pain was definitely reducing, and I started to be able to use the walker better. Once I got to a place where I could move a little less painfully although slowly, I started trying to get up and move, and things kept improving which was encouraging.

By Wendsday night, I was moving pretty well, but not wanting to risk not having that walker to lean on. I finally got to my bed and was able to sleep all night.

Today, I am a little sore, but all of this has disappeared as quickly as it hit me. I wish I had a reason why this happened, mostly so I could avoid causing it again.

So this is mostly my venting my fear from this, but maybe someone knows something more than I do and can share any thoughts?

• Coopdog, Arathu, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#2 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:07 AM

You didn't mention the hospital as an option and I can understand your reluctance. They'd rather help themselves to your money than help you given that they only want to treat the symptoms. As you probably surmised I'm not a fan of the health care system in this country.

My first thought is you may have had a blood clot lodge there or a bone chip/cartilage fragment /torn ligament occurred there. Depending on if it was a blood clot this may not be over yet, you may want to consult with your, shudder, doctor, just in case. The sooner the better....

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Juthro and 3 others like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,233 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:40 AM

Skye, I advise you to see your medical provider.  I hate the system, and I know they are imperfect, but sometimes they can be a life saver.  I don't know enough to even give you an educated guess, but I am sorry for your suffering.

Wishing you nothing but good my friend, I hope it was an isolated incident.

• roc, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2022 - 01:32 AM

Sky... man. The hip pain is debilitating, and I am worried that something else is going on. It usually comes on gradually, rather than like you described. If there was indeed an injury that is capable of all that pain, it would probably still be hurting. I'll send you some healing energy and include some peace in it. I understand more than you know, not being able to carry on your duties. People need you, and me, and NOT doing it all is something that scares the hell out of me, so I feel for you brother. 

I have also been having hip issues since my car accident. I can't face another surgery, and this one would not be paid time off. Losing my mind right now as well. Somehow my friend, we will get back to normal. You are most certainly in my prayers brother. 

• Skywatcher, Juthro, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#5 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 01:59 AM

Skye,

I hope you're able to get that checked out because it's definitely concerning.

I'm glad the pain subsided and I'm hoping you won't experience any more complications.

Sending healing energy your way! Massive love to you!

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:19 AM

As an aging person I know chronic back, pelvic, and hip pain for sure. After many tests, imaging, and consultations, not to mention spending stupid money on it the "system" has provided me with little to no relief at all......

My symptoms definitely include very similar things as yours including the loss of control of my legs....sciatica coming from the glutes and piriformis muscles as they try to compensate for trashed lumbar.....

Posture, SITTING poorly (especially in these "office" chairs) and just wearing things out......don't let the hamstrings shrink and shorten, other muscles too, it pulls the whole skeleton out of whack.....hip pain BLOWS...

When you lay down, try on your back and get a pillow under your upper legs....make sure you are actively/consciously relieving all tensions in the major muscle groups too....sounds like lower back and pelvic misalignment that I suffer...

My stretching routines are freaking brutal but it really helps.....

Nothing but good vibes coming atcha brother..... :hug:

A

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Juthro and 2 others like this

#7 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2022 - 06:07 AM

What a scary and painful experience.

I was so scared to hear about your pain and relieved that it went away. In addition to what others have said you might want to put on some muscle relief like tiger balm or your cannabis cream and slowly stretch out. Please take it slow today so you can fully recover.

We love you Skye.

Edited by Moonless, 29 July 2022 - 06:07 AM.

• Coopdog, Arathu, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,536 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:30 AM

Muscles or ligaments out of place would be the better scenario 

Clots on the other hand are not to be trifled with. 

I'll second the recommendations to see a pro you trust.

Did you get the shot and boosters?

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,309 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:45 AM

Thank you my friends. I am fully vaccinated and boosted. I always have the option of going to urgent care, but I could not stand, and my partner can't drive, and he is unable to push me in a wheelchair. Neither of us had any way to handle a 4-5 hour wait once there so it was not really an option.

I wanted to just put this out of my mind because I feel normal now. If I had any kind of injury or muscle strain to blame this on I would feel better in a way, but there was nothing....

I was going to just move on, but had not thought about blood clots. So I will call today and see how soon I can get a phone appointment with my actual doctor. That's always good for a laugh........

Thank you all for the concern and feedback. It's appreciated more than you know.

Edited by Skywatcher, 29 July 2022 - 03:06 PM.

• roc, Coopdog, Arathu and 7 others like this

#10 RiseUp

RiseUp

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:35 AM

Glad you are doing better. I'm not a medical expert, so please take with a grain of salt. You can look up 'what happens when piriformis muscle is mad'. I did on duckduckgo and it gave some reputable sites. If it seems comparable you can look up how to stretch it, or help it. That pesky little bugger can reek havoc when pissed off. 

If you do decide to check it out and try testing the piriformis muscle remember to breathe and go at a snails pace because irritating it can bring back symptoms.

Throwing in my 2 cents.

Wimzers

• Myc, Coopdog, Arathu and 4 others like this

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2022 - 10:56 AM

^^^Best Answer^^^ from RiseUp.

The pririformis was my nemesis. Unbeknownst to me for the longest time - the majority of my back pain was caused by an over-developed piriformis. I used to do a lot of bicycling. This made it worse because I lead such a healthy, active, lifestyle - and physicians couldn't figure out why I had neuropathy, sciatica, and a host of other ailments related to the back and lower body.

Don't sit for more than an hour without standing and walking for a short while. This is not an athletic challenge. Just standing and shuffling to the kitchen is enough to qualify for a "walk". As mentioned - if it is the piriformis - it is injured and aggravated. Take it slow and easy for several weeks. It took me months of learning to stretch before I got any lasting relief. Nowadays, I'm pain and meds free!

Wishing you a rapid recovery - whatever it was. I've been thinking about you a lot lately.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:32 PM

Man I appreciate you all and your knowledge. I have been having some serious issues with that same thing, and my car accident made it worse. Can't stand in one spot for more than 2-3 minutes without it starting to sing the blues to me. I had narrowed it down to Piriformis muscle issues but hadn't found much on stretching it or home therapy. I'll go look into it now. 

Sky, how have you been? When Myc said he had been thinking about you a lot lately, I have been too. Even before this thread popped up I had a dream you called, and almost called you back. I hope sincerely that you are feeling much better. I had some minor issues with this but getting hit from the side aggravated the hell out of it, so I am very glad you got this thread up despite how it came to be. Hoping you are feeling better...

• Myc, Skywatcher, Moonless and 1 other like this

#13 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,734 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

I'm glad you are on the mend Skye, what a scary time for you and your partner!

Some great info RiseUp, thank you!
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#14 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:40 PM

I've been also thinking about you, Skye. I'm quite eager to find out any updates on what's happening here. Please continue to keep us in the loop!
  • Skywatcher likes this

#15 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,309 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:54 PM

I really appreciate the well wishes and info on the piriformis muscle. What I have read on this now has alot of the kinds of symptoms I was experiencing, but still have no explanation for any kind of cause. I am a horrible sitter. I can't watch a movie without inserting a few breaks to get up and move around.

I have had no returning pain, and would like to keep it that way. I start to panic a bit with any weird twinge or sensation, which is not good for me to focus too much on as I do have anxiety issues that are seemingly controlled right now, but that can change as I have seen before.

I found my doctor has been on vacation, which explains the difficulty I have been having to talk with him. His nurse did return my call from last week today, and I will have a phone appointment with him on the 18th. (unless something happens between now and then)

My life is "complicated" right now. Realizing how much I am depended on makes me feel more vulnerable after an occurrence like this.......

• Coopdog, Juthro, Moonless and 3 others like this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,233 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:42 PM

The joy's of our wonderful medical system here in the USA, I totally get it.   I've been on hold for a month already and will continue to be until October as my doc is out on maternity leave.   All I wanted was a review of my prescriptions.  I did get in to see the doc filling in for her, but he didn't want to change anything because that's not his area of expertise.  Have a nice day, and here's your bill.

I am glad that you've been doing better friend, and I hope that's the way it keeps going for you.

Stay well.

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and FunnyFarmer like this

#17 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,184 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2022 - 09:14 PM

Hey Skye, just came across this today. Glad you’re feeling better. Back/joint problems are no fun. I herniated a disc in my back when I was still in my 20’s, you never realize how debilitating the pain can be until you go through it.

If it really is a muscle problem for you (I hope that’s it) then exercise and stretching can really help a lot. I’ve always had tight hamstrings & hip joints, I think it directly contributed to my back problems. Recently started consistently exercising & stretching and it does help, but it’s tough to get into the habit…well worth the effort though.
  • Myc, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#18 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 03:34 AM

Re: Skywatcher

of possible interest:

testing muscle strength

https://duckduckgo.c...a=b&t=hr&ia=web

-----------------

how to test piriformis muscle strength

--------------

Piriformis Test: To Detect The Tightness Of The Piriformis Muscle

https://physio-study...iriformis-test/

------------

body work and the piriformis and psoas muscles

Edited by shiftingshadows, 03 August 2022 - 03:44 AM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#19 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:43 AM

Sounds like degenerative disc disease.   Just comes on.  I was riding in a car on long trip and pain pulsing through my left hip.   Then it just happened ever once awhile mainly while driving.  Then steadily got worse.   Epidural was the answer.   It happens as we get older.  Not really a disease but discs touching in the back.  It sucks.  Getting old sucks.    

Edited by Uncle G, 03 August 2022 - 10:43 AM.

• roc, Arathu, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#20 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,309 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:07 AM

I will definitely be bringing up the piriformis muscle in my discussion with my doctor. There are too many of the descriptions of pain/inflamation symptoms that fit.

In retrospect, I saw him in March at which time I told him about some really bad muscle cramps in the upper thigh I had been having that lasted over 5 minutes and could not be "walked off". He got me taking a magnesium supplement, which seems to have helped, but I don't know if the two are related, so i will be revisiting that as well.

I often feel these days that I do more of the diagnosing and searching for natural solutions than my doctor does.......

• Myc, Arathu and RiseUp like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!