• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:22 PM

I often feel these days that I do more of the diagnosing and searching for natural solutions than my doctor does.......

goes with out saying

in this case they are not body workers - meaning Rolfers or Heller workers

hence the last link I posted

• Skywatcher likes this

#22 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 04 August 2022 - 01:55 PM

Hope you get to feeling better.  May look at your chair you was in sitting in.  Maybe holding yourself funny and causing the inflammation either from the muscle or the back.  I have artificial hip on one side and damaged hip on the other side motorcycle wreck a hundred years ago crushed one hip and broke the other.   

Ibuprofen will be a good or some other Nsaids.   I am allergic to nsaids myself but they work.  

#23 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,231 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2022 - 03:29 PM

hence the last link I posted....

Thank you for drawing my attention back to that link. I had stopped reading the links right before I got to that one so I missed the most helpful diagrams shown there. Not that the others have not been helpful, they just contained a lot of information, most of which I have sifted through.

May look at your chair you was in sitting in.  Maybe holding yourself funny and causing the inflammation either from the muscle or the back.  I have artificial hip on one side and damaged hip on the other side motorcycle wreck a hundred years ago crushed one hip and broke the other.   

Ibuprofen will be a good or some other Nsaids.   I am allergic to nsaids myself but they work.  

It's a pretty comfortable chair with lumbar support. I had had my smaller dog (about 40 lbs) sitting with me for about 15 minutes, an hour or more before this started, and had gotten up to walk outside right before. I have knee issues that can be pretty bad at night but were not bad that night. I do also have lower back problems from time to time. I am pretty conscious about how I am sitting so I am reasonably sure I wasn't crooked or off balance.

Tylenol is not very effective for me. I do use Naproxen when needed, and Kratom is usually effective enough to keep pain issues tolerable. For really severe pain, I do have a prescription for 750 Vicoden, which barely dented the pain I had that night.

I don't seem to be having any returning problems with that hip.

• Uncle G, ElPirana, RainbowCatepillar and 1 other like this

#24 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,749 posts

Donator

Posted 04 August 2022 - 06:35 PM

Hope it doesn't happen again my friend. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#25 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:22 AM

hence the last link I posted....

Thank you for drawing my attention back to that link. I had stopped reading the links right before I got to that one so I missed the most helpful diagrams shown there. Not that the others have not been helpful, they just contained a lot of information, most of which I have sifted through.
I looked through the links a couple days ago, didn’t get a chance to respond. I thought this one was probably the most useful to understand how the sciatic nerve runs around and/or through the piriformis muscle:

Piriformis Test: To Detect The Tightness Of The Piriformis Muscle

https://physio-study...iriformis-test/

And looking through the other searches, this seems the most useful for testing, stretching, strengthening the muscle:
https://www.maksrezn...riformis-muscle
Lots of good video clips if you scroll down a bit. I tried some of this myself, I definitely need to work on this. It likely explains a lot about why I can barely sit cross-legged on the floor. I’ve been working on strengthening my psoas muscle to help with stretching hamstrings for a month or two now, but I knew I was missing other muscles.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#26 RiseUp

RiseUp

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 03:50 PM

Just another thought. The piriformis helps externally rotate the hip. If you sit in your recliner and your foot rolls to the outside you can put something against your foot or above ankle to prevent the hip from rotating which will keep that muscle in it's normal position. Even if that particular muscle isn't the problem keeping your leg in neutral won't hurt a bit until you see your doctor.

• Arathu, Skywatcher and ElPirana like this

#27 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:05 AM

Another factor that affects me, and may affect others with lower back and hip issues,

is inflammatory foods.

I don't know much about them - but I do know of 2, that make a great difference in

how bad my balance is after I consume them: coffee and even small amounts of alcohol.

[ I probably have some sort of disk issue in my lower back, and when inflammation or

swelling occurs, extra pressure is put on nerves, going into the legs].

I mention this so that, you may note for yourselves if you observe, a related effect.

Here's a link on inflammatory foods, as I don't know much about them, but it seems it is

perhaps the only factor that coffee and alcohol have in common.

https://duckduckgo.c...a=b&t=hr&ia=web

also

https://www.healthli...OC_TITLE_HDR_16

https://www.msn.com/...tion/ar-AATSDhx

https://duckduckgo.c...a=b&t=hr&ia=web

Edited by shiftingshadows, 06 August 2022 - 11:22 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#28 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:45 AM

Two things Ive noticed with my many years of back pain, finally brought under control.  You don't always have a problem wh3re the pain localizes.

With hip pain, is the pain on the inside or the outside of your hip? Inside is hip, outside is back issues.

All can be cured or lessened by exercise and diet.

Stomach is usually responsible for back pain of all kinds, and I mean the muscles, not the food you dump into it.

Thats my two cents. Not necessarily for everyone, but worked for me.

Lost 85 pounds, no more back pain, ever, so far.

• Soliver, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!