2 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmicwave

Cosmicwave

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:13 PM

Hey guys, all in peace?

I've been developing a few systems with unpasteurized horse manure, and it seems to be working!
There are mushrooms sprouting all over the basin (place where I put the substrate).
I drilled holes in the lower part of the basin, for water drainage, and every day I expose the substrate to the sun and water it.

But, even having results, I don't know if I can count on something like this, as if it were definitive.
It may have been successful, so far, because of genetics...
It may have worked out for many things, and, therefore, I don't want to take a possible exception as something that will always work out.

Thinking a little, I came to the conclusion that every effort to reduce possible damage is little.

The question is:
I have an electric oven with a built-in thermometer, and I'd like to try pasteurizing the horse poop. Can I just pour the manure into a container and heat it up?
I don't know very well about the pasteurization process, but reading a little, I saw that people add the manure in a pillowcase and put it in a pan with boiling water. But, I don't have a thermometer, and, as my electric oven has a built-in one, I thought I'd give it a try...

Any suggestion?

#2 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 2,675 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:38 PM

It can work. Used to be a family common practice using the big foil turkey tins. Hydrated substrate tin covered with foil. In the oven at about 160 F for 3 or 4 hours.
  • roc and bezevo like this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:28 PM

If you're growing outdoors, pasteurization is not necessary. Ultimately, it's a waste of time and energy. I prefer to build spawn indoors for strategic spawning when the weather becomes favorable. No misting, no fanning, just leave them to do their thing in the flower beds. It's way easier than laboratory cultivation indoors.

Indoors, you'll want to pasteurize the manure.

• Uncle G and Moonless like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!