3 replies to this topic

#1 RescueU

RescueU

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 07:41 PM

Hi all,

I inoculated some jars made up of brf and vermiculite on the 15th of July with an MSS of azurescens. I had mycelium appear in about a week or so, but since then it's been super slow. They are maybe 10-15% colonized. I also inoculated some jars the same day with ovoids and they took off like a rocket. Do I have the slowest azzies in the world, or....?
20220808_172804.jpg 20220808_172835.jpg
Azzies compared to ovoids
  • MushLuvR likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:13 PM

They take a long time. You could pop that container in the 'fridge and let it do its thing. It will take awhile and you may have to supplement moisture (weigh the substrate periodically) to make up for losses. Perhaps that is the issue at hand???

Ovoids can also colonize in the 'fridge. ;)

I prefer to transfer to woodchip spawn and keep them as "starter" culture. The 'fridge suppresses molds and bacteria while the mycelium continues to work and colonize. Available water is really the only issue. Periodic "dunking" can replenish depleted water supplies and the colony continues working so long as they have an adequate food supply (ergo the use of woodchips).

I loves me some woodlovers.

• Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#3 RescueU

RescueU

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:17 PM

I'm taking out the mycelium a few jars per day and transferring them into small tubs with soaked wood chips and cardboard. That little bit of mycelium is enogh, but full jars was what I was hoping for. I'm keeping a few jars to finish though. I'm trying to get outdoor beds started by mid September, hoping that next year I'll get some fruits!

• Myc, Arathu, bezevo and 1 other like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:34 PM

IMHO and IME do not hesitate to try grains as well, WBS and Rye work like a charm......(grains must of course be sterilized)

My "go to" process is: spores on Agar-->sterile grains-->G2G expansion (also sterile)-->pasteurized wood chips (usually hickory or oak)-->Tray's/Tubs/Beds/Bags   

With woodlovers I like adding soil and when making anything beyond the FULLY colonized grains I add fertilized potting soil......from there it is generally a good idea to diversify the food source.....

A nitrogen source with your wood will be quite beneficial......my PF attempts with woodlovers were SLOW and problematic (I think the sub is too dense personally) 

Fluffy and moist (never soaked or packed) is the ticket.....

Good woodie vibes for sure......I LOVE me some woodies too......learned a bunch from ^^^^^^ the gentleman that answered you first and many others here...

Welcome to Mycotopia....the New Library at Alexandria......

• Myc and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!