• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:51 PM

I seem to be experiencing some slow colonization. The formula I used was 3 qts colonized Mexi-Cube on Oats to 6 qts coco-verm with a pinch of gypsum and a thin casing layer for this 16qt shoebox. Temps are mid 70's and shows good humidity. I have spritzed it twice in the last week. I spawned it on the 20th of July.

The 3 6qt shoeboxes I did each got 1 qt spawn to 2 qts coco-verm and a casing layer.

Might it be possible to speed things up by adding extra spawn? Say maybe half again as much as I did use,or even double?

Typically do you go for full coverage of the sub before going to fruit,or do you flip at 80% or similar?16qt 8.10.22.JPG

Other pic is some Maz that I put on agar to check for contamination. I did that around early April as I recall.I had forgotten about it and lo and behold....Maz Agar 4.10.22.JPG

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 11 August 2022 - 08:59 PM.

• bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:43 AM

Hard to tell, but that looks like knots to me and real close to pinning.  You might even have a few pins in there, 23 days is a long time from spawn, but be patient at this point, I don't see any contamination.  Keep that surface level from drying out and let Er Rock Out.

MushL

• bezevo and ShortcutSlim like this

#3 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:39 PM

Honestly,I need to get over of the fear of having a good look at what is going on during colonization. I took the lids off and looked with the aid of my magnifying glass, and I have pins and knots everywhere. I sure appreciate a trained (working) eye pointing out what I had missed. I didn't think anything would happen until I had full colonization (full surface coverage). I tried the TiT once,but @Phlegmbae clued me in on that. He also told me to be sure to mist and watch.Mexi 8.12.22 1.JPG Mexi 8.12.22 2.JPG Mexi 8.12.22 3.JPG

Thanks so much for the help @MushLuvR

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 12 August 2022 - 07:46 PM.

• TVCasualty, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:05 PM

That is a really nice pin set.

Make sure they get plenty of fresh air now.

If the substrate is well-hydrated then the mushrooms will humidify the air enough by themselves as they mature so long as you're not blowing in fresh dry air constantly (as they mature they need a lower rH to thrive; around 85% rH is ideal at this stage).

• bezevo, MushLuvR and ShortcutSlim like this

#5 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:04 PM

This is the nicest grow I've ever done,and no one is more shocked than I am at how it looks. All my other grows (totaling 3..1 of which was the textbook definition of contamination  :ohmy:  ) looked nowhere near this nice.This proves the old adage about dumb luck. I'm tiptoeing around,holding my breath and speaking at whispering volume in hopes it doesn't go south on me. :biggrin:

I filpped the lid and slightly offset it and will start some gentle fanning as things progress.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice @TVCasualty.

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 13 August 2022 - 04:45 PM.

• TVCasualty, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#6 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 05:01 AM

Well, I'm back. I'm hoping to glean some more advice about what I have going on here.  (wink)

My pins aren't showing a lot of vigor. I do have some that are growing,just not as quickly as previous grow. The shoeboxes are pretty heavy which led me to believe that they are pretty well hydrated. I have been misting every other day and lightly fanning several times a day. The coco that isn't fully covered is a lighter shade of brown. I tried to inject distilled water into the casing with a syringe and needle,but the water won't penetrate and just pushes out the hole as I am trying to inject it.

Should I just continue to mist and fan,and wait and see if the pins take off? It's been a little over a week and I'm getting nervous. :blush:

Thanks.

• MushLuvR likes this

#7 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2022 - 12:00 PM

Sounds like you have a slow AF culture to me, if you added more air after pinning by flipping the lid (offset), you should be fine.  If offset is too much air and drying the surface too fast, a simple flip leaves a decent gap.  Super nice pinset and I hope it all works out.  

MushL

• ShortcutSlim likes this

#8 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 07:19 PM

I just left a small offset for FAE @MushLuvR . Maybe I should only fan once or twice a day during lights on.?. I'm fanning 3-4 times daily currently (I fan lightly),maybe I'll back off a fanning or 2.

Interesting thing is, that  it was no slouch when doing a G2G, so I just figured it would do the same when spawned to bulk.

• MushLuvR likes this

#9 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 04:21 PM

Here's an update on my Mexi-Cube. I went ahead and dunked. The 6qt has some filling in to do, so we'll watch and see if there is much improvement. The 16qt tho looks to have responded positively (or maybe it looks better because I want it too so badly). Anyway, we'll continue to watch the magic unfold with all the positive energy we can muster.

Shortcut

Mexi 6qt 8.22.22.JPG

Mexi 16qt 8.23.22.JPG

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 23 August 2022 - 06:24 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#10 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 07:58 PM

I do hope no one minds my updates. This my 3rd grow and I'm all "Look at what I did" about it.Ha ha ha.

Anyway,it does look like it will be successful after all,especially the bigger shoebox.

thanks to @Phlegmbae and @MushLuvR and @TVCasualty for all the help.

Mexi 6qt 8.25.22.JPG Mexi 16qt 8.25.22.JPG

• TVCasualty and MushLuvR like this

#11 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2022 - 06:44 AM

Looking Good UP in here, you have a little bit of fuzzy feet, but SUCCESS... NoneTheLess!!   :cool:

MushL

• ShortcutSlim likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!