#1 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:27 AM

Does anybody else do this?

I have two hobbies that work well together: Mycology, and Botany. Yesterday when I was dunking my blocks I had the idea of using the dunk water for my plants. Has anyone else done this? It seems like a great idea in theory but I'll test it now and let you know how it goes.

• Myc and Mycol like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:03 PM

Be sure and arrange a control if you can manage. That way you can prove / disprove hypothesis. ;)

• pharmer, Moonless and Mycol like this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

Good point!

Maybe a good test for it is germination and growing. I could give three mustard seeds the metabolite water and three mustards tap water then compare them after 1,2 and 3 weeks.

I just dumped myco water on my indoor cactus without much thought.

I'll keep y'all updated.

• Myc likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:34 PM

I doubt that the myco-water would be detrimental in any way - so I wouldn't hesitate to try it on pretty much any plant.

In My Opinion - The worst that can happen is the death of the mycelium suspended in the water. But then it will become food for something else so is that really a bad thing?

Good idea with the mustard seedlings.

All treated equal throughout their growth - same medium, etc. The hydration would be the only difference.

If the medium is suitable, I wouldn't be surprised if some mushrooms were produced as a result. Happy bonus, for sure.

Edited by Myc, 14 August 2022 - 02:35 PM.

• Moonless likes this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:08 AM

Does anybody else do this?

I have two hobbies that work well together: Mycology, and Botany. Yesterday when I was dunking my blocks I had the idea of using the dunk water for my plants. Has anyone else done this? It seems like a great idea in theory but I'll test it now and let you know how it goes.

Dunk water seems to be really good for plants.

I dumped mine on some ornamentals I had in pots outside (a long, long time ago) and the plants that got the dunk water exploded in growth vs. the same plants in different pots that didn't get any (I also wanted to see if it made a difference). I've used it to water plants with ever since. It was so striking that it almost seemed worth making dunk water just to water plants with. I guess it's basically compost tea at that point.

The best burst of growth was from water from trays made with a hpoo/straw sub, but straight straw subs make nutrient rich water too (a close second).

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,529 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:56 PM

Is there any reason to think there's mycelium or any other entity in the metabolite to suggest it could inoculate the soil of a botany project.?

My guess is no but am willing to be wrong :)

It would be nice if the metabolite does something to contribute to the biome in the soil.

#7 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 11:02 PM

There are probably many different types of bacteria growing all over cakes that end up in the dunk water .

The real question is who’s going to drink the dunk ?

Myc’s Secret stuff lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!