• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sirsangel1

sirsangel1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 03:07 AM

i have been growing for a year and do not always have this problem, but i get verticillium from time to time, generally early in the pinning stage, and i'm curious if i could get a good refresher or some tips on the best practices of pasteurization of the coir in a bucket...

thought maybe i am just forgetting a step or not waiting long enough, or getting it hot enough...

i'm i supposed to bring the water to a boil? or just below? i am trying to remember.

thanks for helping me brush up.

Edited by sirsangel1, 22 August 2022 - 03:09 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and Ivyaxiox like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,438 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:32 PM

hummm...........  OK  ... Are you talking about  Pasteurization ...... of  a  Substrate  ?

Or .....Sterilizing  of Spawn ................?

It seems to me your Describing/Asking about   Pasteurization ?..............not Sterilizing ?

Do a  bit  of research  to see if you can  understand the two processes  and the differences

and why you  might use one over the other in different citations . .

Then you can ask a  question about ether or ,,and better understand .

Bez

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,802 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2022 - 01:59 PM

Hello Sirsangel1, welcome!

Some people don't even pasteurize their COIR. I think the TEK is a bucket or ice chest and hot/boiling water, cover, let sit a couple hours til cool. The one caveat is apparently some COIR for plants has trich? added to it. The pasteurization should take care of that but I'd probably avoid those brands. Hopefully your water is not too high in salts or chemicals either.

Personally, I sterilize my CV subs like everything else.

Good luck!

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 22 August 2022 - 02:00 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!