7 replies to this topic

#1 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,721 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2022 - 12:11 AM

Enjoying some home grown paw paws. It is sweet with maybe some mango charecter definite annona flavor smooth texture.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220829_183626.jpg

• Skywatcher, Juthro, bezevo and 2 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,226 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:52 PM

I've never tried a paw paw, Yoshi, but I've also never lived anywhere even close to where they grow.   From watching your posts lately it seems that you've got a pretty extensive garden/orchard to keep you, and yours fed.  I tip my hat to you for that friend  :)

• Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,721 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:58 PM

Thank you sir! I'm not in their native range but I've managed to sneak it in. :) Yes, I'm very fortunate, lots of organic, home grown fruits and vegetables. If only I had access to the seafood you get, I'd be in heaven!
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,226 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2022 - 05:53 PM

True enough, there are pluses and minuses to every choice we make, and I clearly followed the fish when my choice came to locality, lol.    Actually I came here more for the remoteness, but I really do like the fish :)

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#5 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2022 - 11:42 AM

Paw Paw is  a native tree , here they grow wild near rivers ..there an under  canopy... usually in hardwood forests .
This is zone The AG zone range is for Paw Paw 'zone to zone ..is zone 5  to zone 8 ,you might be able topush  that  to zone 4 to 9 with extra protextion or envitomental micro climares .
There very dificult to transplant .
 You will get a much better quality tree/fruit if you buy one of the many Graftid named cultivators / clones ,

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 02 September 2022 - 12:19 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,226 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2022 - 12:13 PM

Wow, they tolerate low temps between -10 and -20f? (zone 5).   I didn't realize they were so cold tolerant.  In my mind I thought of them as thriving more in a zone 7 or 8.

A lot of people grow fruit trees around these parts in high tunnels to squeeze an extra zone of hardiness, (we are zone 4B).  I wonder if that could work with paw paws?  

• bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2022 - 03:07 PM

WELL Paw Paw are  cousins  of a cpl  tropical fruits,,, they have huge tropical looking leaves  ....  but  they evolved in the temperate north america ... HERE/Zone 5 it ocasionally gets down to -20 f for a few hours .  we used to go wild paw paw hunting every year when we were kids .

• Juthro and YoshiTrainer like this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2022 - 07:20 PM

oh  here is am IMPORTANT  Paw Paw Tip !  ..............................JUST THE TIP !  heh

Paw Paw flowers are pollinated buy  Fly's  n Beatles .Not Bees . 

thats why they have a slight flower aroma of road kill ...not to strong  yumm..

So a savey  paw paw farmer hangs a few strips of nice rotting meat in there  blooming  paw paw trees .. more fruit ,

the ONLY Place the Beautiful Blue Tiger Swallow  Tail Butterfly only lays its eggs on the Paw Paw Tree /

ok  more  paw paw trivia ........oh also you can make an extract of the seeds to  cure many forms of Cancer ....

BIG Pharma doesn't want you to know because they can't Patent it and over charge you for it and that cuts in to selling your insurance co  $300.000 for useless Chemo before you die ..........Ta--Da !

BEZ

• Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!