3 replies to this topic

#1 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:26 PM

All of a sudden...out of the blue.

2 Pics of Mexi-Cube on oats that was inoculated from clean agar on 7.1. The other jars show no contamination of any sort.

3rd pic is of Ecuador that was a G2G on 9.9. It is colonizing like the other 3,but has a seriously grayish tint to the grains,

Identification or ideas?

Mexi 9.12.22 (1).JPG

Mex1 9.12.22 (2).JPG

Ecuador 9.12.22.JPG

Is there a better place to post contamination questions?

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 12 September 2022 - 06:31 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2022 - 10:46 AM

Both of those are common contaminates, the first jar is Wet Spot, and the second jar that is greyish/green, you can see the green hue to it, definitely Trichoderma.  Trich is hard to spot prior to dropping the wedge, similar looking mycelium color wise, but once you see the dribble super white (on agar or subs) that came out of nowhere, it's DONE for.  Wet spot is exactly that, too wet of grains, it happens, but unfortunately, it's a toss outside situation.  The worst I have experienced is Aspergillus Flavus (gold looking flakes) from a dirty syringe from an old source many years ago (that USED to be worthy).  Never get down about failures (chalk it up to experience), it's how we progress and fine tune our craft... and there is NO substitute for practical experience.  I also use Oats, and more times than most, I prep them WAY before I need them for a solid dry seed (tossing here and there).  Pans and PE are very "sensitive" when it comes to moisture in the jar and it's mainly what I grow or hybrid variations, so I plan ahead to make sure they BE dry.  All the Best...of luck in your future endeavors.

• ShortcutSlim likes this

#3 ShortcutSlim

ShortcutSlim

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:55 PM

I was sure it was contaminated @MushLuvr I just didn't know what it was. I somehow thought it could be bacterial,as I understand that sort of thing can be harder to spot. I somehow didn't expect to see anything show up after 2 months tho :) I thought that after a month,you'd have made it through unscathed.lol

Thanks for mentioning leaving the jars to dry a tad. I'm pretty careful about moisture anyway,but I thought the grains needed to be used within a shorter time frame. I often get my jars prepped,but then one thing or another happens and I don't get to them for a week.It's good to know I can relax about that.

I know that contamination is going to happen, so I do what I can to avoid the conditions that would favor it. If it happens anyway, then I try to examine my technique and identify my mistakes.

Thank you for the help!

Slim

Edited by ShortcutSlim, 13 September 2022 - 12:56 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,062 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:13 PM

That's all we can do is examine and analyze and keep our ego's out of it, troubleshooting is an artform I learned WAY before getting immersed into growing all kinds of mushrooms.  Data IS Data any way you slice it.   :meditate:

• ShortcutSlim likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!