7 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:01 PM

Two questions here

One- is 'tyvek' merely a material name, thus all tyvek is tyvek and thus ok for making filter lids?

My only experience has been using envelopes for this, and I can't get those where I live

Second,what are some alternatives to using tyvek for the filter?

Thirds- what kind of filter is needed for liquid culture? - In the past I've used two rtv self healing ports and a syringe with polyfill to break the vacuum- but I saw a different filter added to the lid in donshadows mycgraintek- from his instructions it appears this negates the need for a polyfill syringe... Where do I source these?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:25 PM

My first jar lids over a decade ago were made of Tyvek from envelopes, didn't do well after 2nd or third run, but did work temporarily.  There is also Tyvek paint suits (better than envelopes) that can be cut up, but that's all-old school and outdated.  I used polyfil for years, but you can also get some 3M tape and use a few layers.  For an LC lid, I would splurge for the .22 syringe filter, or at least a 60-cent small SFD disc.  The syringe filters are nice, and you can tip them upside down, don't try that with a SFD (SFD side UP and the SHIP on the bottom tilt side).  My first lids were Permatex for the SHIPS, appreciate the triggered memory... Lane.   :meditate:

• Juthro likes this

#3 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 02:50 PM

Tyvek envelopes were my go-to also.

To clarify, 'new school is 3m ' tape? What kind

And do you have any sources for those .22 filters?

What's a sfd disc?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:00 PM

I sometimes order from shroomsupply, but you can find the .22 filters just about anywhere.  I make all my lids and either add the SFD (Synthetic Filter Disk) only, or a Self-Healing plug (SHIP) with the SFD for LC's or rare occasions when I use a syringe.  I mainly do under the lid in a SAB these days, so syringe ports rarely get used, but they are cheap and if you have a drill.... they are super easy to make really quick.  You can also use Permatex to make the port, but not something I do currently (have in the past, works great). 

#5 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:06 PM

Thirds- what kind of filter is needed for liquid culture? - In the past I've used two rtv self healing ports and a syringe with polyfill to break the vacuum- but I saw a different filter added to the lid in donshadows mycgraintek- from his instructions it appears this negates the need for a polyfill syringe... Where do I source these?

they are called Syringe Filters, here is one source

https://www.amazon.c...&ref=nb_sb_noss

you can download DonShadows tek as a pdf here, it details what he does with the syringe filters 

https://mycotopia.ne...ated-grain-tek/

small amount of heavier tvek ( 105gm ) - I have not tried it

https://www.amazon.c...63100184&sr=8-1

Edited by shiftingshadows, 13 September 2022 - 03:19 PM.

• Severian likes this

#6 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:41 PM

Found a tyvek suit for around 5 dollars so that's the route I'm gonna try first. Thx for all the info
  • Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,438 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2022 - 12:06 PM

i used to make lids with silicone  SHIPS n tavac filters from paint suit .

Now  for grain jars i buy the Self adhesive 22mm filter disks and silicone pre-made SHIPS on Amazon there well made and thrifty buy the 100.. 

i use syringe filters for LC lids

\

Edited by bezevo, 14 September 2022 - 12:12 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#8 WelcomeUniversal

WelcomeUniversal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 06:59 AM

Omnipor!
U never find something better.
0.5" hole to 1 quart of volume, covering by omnipor - ideal fae for cubs/mexs/natals without any contams. It works like hepa filter, but gives more fae, u can sterilize it easy, it saves humidity 100%.
It works for jars and for tubes.
When i tried it, i forgot about another analogs.
https://www.amazon.d...e/dp/B089JMQJ32

Edited by WelcomeUniversal, 17 September 2022 - 07:05 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!