• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:53 AM

Looking for pointers on how to use a sab properly- I've been used to using a flow hood but that's out of commission indefinitely:/

I'm wondering how you go about putting your jars in there in the first place? And how do you sterilize the interior?

One of the last times I was using a sab I accidently created a fireball when attempting to flame sterilize a needle with alcohol fumes still fuming.

Any procedure tips appreciated

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:31 PM

I've been using a SAB for years.  Tried a glove box once or twice, it was terrible.  If you use a SAB correctly, it works very well, and is very simple and convenient.

First, use a very large tote if you can.  Larger is better, it allows you to fit more items inside and it will be easier to work with.  If the tote is too short, it is hard to perform some tasks, like doing a grain to grain transfer (my old SAB was small and the pouring jar would hit the top of the SAB, not allowing me to do it properly.)

I use the tote upside down, so the lid is the "floor" of the SAB.

Make sure you cut big holes for your arm.  Mine are 6 inch diameter.  If the holes are too small, then each time you insert your arm into the box, the volume of air that is displaced has a much smaller opening remaining to allow it to escape, and vice versa when removing your arm from the box.  The air then moves at a higher velocity through the smaller hole, hence making the air inside the box move around more (not what you want inside of a still air box).  If the holes are larger, there's more room for the displaced air to escape or enter back into the box and it does not cause as much airflow.  Along with this, each time you put your arm into the box (or remove it), do it slowly, preferably one arm at a time.  Anything you can do so as not to disturb the still air inside the box is beneficial.

If you need to flame sterilize an item, do it right outside the box and immediately bring it back into the box while still glowing red hot (continue moving slowly).  Move grain jars, agar jars, LC, etc into the SAB after you have sprayed the inside.  I use screw-on lids on my jars and I loosen them slightly as I place into the box, this way I make sure they are not super tight when I'm ready to open them in the SAB and I won't cause any unwanted movements.

I generally spray the inside of the box with IPA.  I've heard it better to use a soapy-water mix to spray the inside, that way if there's any particles moving in the air inside, it will hit the wet walls of the box and stick to it.  The point seems to be to have still air rather than sterile air. 

Also, keep the air outside of the SAB as still as possible too.  Turn off any fans, air conditioners, furnaces, etc.  Try to allow some time for the air in the room to settle, don't move quickly around the room.  Place all your items (tools, jars, etc) where you readily want to access them ahead of time.  I leave the room for a while (10-15 minutes usually) and come back to it carefully moving.

• Juthro, Severian and MushLuvR like this

#3 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:11 PM

Excellent . Excellent Description/advice.

Very much appreciate the explanation of the 'how' it's suppose to work- regarding the volume of the arm holes-

I feel I understand the concept much better

So no glovebox eh? Why not?

My intent is to build a more heavy duty sab out of wood- easier/cheaper than plastic around here

My exp in the past being the same- with a too-short box the g2g is a challenge.

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,438 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:13 PM

i clean   SAB  and work area with bleach then i start room Hepa   air cleaner ..then when ready to  work i wipe  inside of sab with an non flammable ACID Sanitizer StarSan from home brew store  but i have bought it from Amazon and directly from manufacturer in Denver  Co.  ..ok after i  wiped down the inside of SAB i wipe down my cooled  AA PC and place it in the far left end of SAB . i am showered   fresh clean clothing out of dryer head arms covered , i open the PC an have my grain jars or LC inside with any tools  needles ect also coming out cool PC in box sterile .  . just all clean prophetical   ...before i started using a SAB  i practiced doing the procedures in the SAB  to do each  step/process in slow fluid movements to not stir air up HENCE .../...Still Air Box .. ..this sounds like over kill but it dose help . think ahead at what your going to do  so you don't  contaminate the SAB or stir up air . i keep small mister   of Star San in SAB and  A flame lamp if i need it .

ok probably T.M.I.

GOOD Luck

Bez

• ElPirana and Severian like this

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:47 AM

Great. Practice practice practice. Got it.

Question though bez- how do you fit your PC in the sab??? What size are your arm holes? AA PC size?

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,438 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:58 PM

THE SAB tote is quite large and clear  i use the lid as the floor, the two arm holes are on the right half of tote i used a hot tomato juice can to melt the arm holes  home slightly higher than  other for a more natural  arm work position i have two Stainless steel like baking cooling racks on floor isde  Sab to raise work a bit off the lid

bez

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 02:19 PM

Get a tall tub, there are tall and then there are the ones that are about 4" taller, get one of those. I made a 5 x 8" opening towards the top of the tub and used a piece of lexan/plexi (what have you) and used RTV to adhere it in place. Now I can see everything much better in there  especially when doing agar sampling. This isn't one of the taller tubs but it works in the meantime. That extra height comes in handy.

DSC01898 (Medium).JPG

I like to set up my SAB including any kind of racks an hour before using it and spray the inside down with ISO. Then periodically spray the arm openings with iso as I'm using it. Everything that goes into the SAB gets wiped down with iso. So far I've avoided blowing up the SAB...

• ElPirana and Severian like this

#8 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2022 - 04:10 PM

Nice Post @Elpirana, some golden gems in that text.  I've always heard and wanted to try the soap/water mix, but ISO has been GOOD to me over the years so it's hard to stop doing something that is tried and True.  I personally, always wear a mask, and some 5mil gloves, more worried about my breath and hands more than anything.  I have used no gloves, but then I feel like I'm spraying my hands more often that I probably need to, and I give my forearms a light mist of ISO since they will go into the environment about halfway.  The trick is still air manipulation... and Sanitation.  There is NO way we can sterilize the environment, so we "cheat" the system so to speak for a period of time to handle business.  Stay away from windows, or sink areas, and once you find a spot in your house that works, stay with that one spot.  I use my kitchen table exclusively nowadays and I've been shooting LC's under the lids for quite awhile now.  I have a 90qt tote, and I wish i would of went bigger, but I can squeeze in 4 5lb hwfp blocks and make it happen.  There is no substitute for real world practical experience so Keep at it.  Truth be told, the worst chore I hate doing in the box is Agar plates, definitely wish I had a FH for that step.  Other than that, it all can be done, GO BIG with the Tote (I used an old coffee can heated up for holes), and I also use a desk lamp to add bright light, helps tremendously with Agar, or just seeing better in general.  All the Best... OF luck.

P1140995.JPG

Where the magic happens... Also, mockup the holes where your arms will be comfortable.  That's my Time.

Edited by MushLuvR, 27 September 2022 - 04:14 PM.

• bezevo and ElPirana like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!