Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

LC always caramelizes...+ How do you shake it??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

So, I've made LC now 6 or 7 times total- everytime I've done it according to what I believe is standard operating procedure- karo (or honey) to 4%, then PC for 20 mins at 15 psi.

Yet, it always comes out yellow. What gives?

Should I start my count at the moment the PC starts hissing? Normally I count from when the PC comes up to 15psi.

It's an old PC so maybe the gauge is wrong and I'm cooking at a higher psi?

On a more general note- I've read that caramelized sugars (or yellow LC liquid) isno bueno for the culture- but why exactly?

And, final question

How do you shake your LC jars and how often? Today I actually shook the jars for the first time ever- and I realized (because the mycellium actually started floating and it was the first time I everr saw that) that my 'shaking ' in the past perhaps was not shaking at all- I would always swirl the jar in a vigorous circle to get a vortex goin on inside the jar- but clearly that has a different effect because the mycellium had never floated to the top before

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20220927_092253.jpg

Edited by Severian, 27 September 2022 - 03:20 PM.

#2 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2022 - 04:23 PM

I'm not an expert in anyway with LCs, but I have 7 or so in the fridge and None of them have ever floated to the top like I see in your photo.  I don't shake LC jars, the swirl method works best and it's what I do.  Depending on how fast you want it to finish, 3-5 times a day works great and definitely speeds up the process.  The swirling vortex style is on point with what I do and works.  I've never used karo or honey, it is thick, maybe lower the ratio to 2%, but I use LME only since I already have it on hand for plates.  I PC my LC jars for 30 minutes...I've had consistent results, but I am just above sea level, 45mins might be necessary at higher elevations. 

Edited by MushLuvR, 27 September 2022 - 04:23 PM.

#3 ShroomIfy59

ShroomIfy59

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:48 AM

I discovered that if I shake it small bubbles mix with the mycelium and make it float. If I swirl it that doesn't happen. 

• MushLuvR likes this

#4 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:29 AM

So, if you swirl the jars, do they form a cloud when it settles?

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:18 PM

Your photo demonstrates the presence of various sugars which - after boiling or heating - naturally turn into the "duff" that you're seeing in your jars. It depends upon your choice of Dry Malt Extract (or whatever sugar source with which you are experimenting). I prefer the lightest malt extract available - Extra Light or Pilsen Light are my favorites. You are likely observing the presence of long-chain sugars as opposed to short-chain sugars which easily break down and dissolve into solution during heating.

It is perfectly natural and the fungi will consume the material with no problem.

I make my living with "liquid culture" and yours looks great !!

Regarding shaking the LC:

I use a stir mantle and magnetic stir bars. The stirring action allows for reliable gas exchange and serves to improve the overall health of the culture being propagated.

Ultimately, your LC looks great and should support mycelial growth without an issue.

"Mycelium floating to the top" could be an indication of contamination. Many bacteria and yeast can float.

You can test this my transferring a small amount of the LC to an agar plate for observation. Microscopy would be my first step. You'll need a still-air glovebox or laminar workstation in order to grab a sample and I presume that since you're working with liquid culture you have a method by which to grab a sample without exposing the culture to open-air.

You can use a simple microscope slide and cover slip but my favorite method is to use a hemocytometer which allows you to examine the size and shape of the cells at scale.

Edited by Myc, 30 September 2022 - 03:05 PM.

• MushLuvR likes this

#6 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:14 AM

That's an extensive explanation of the sugars rising to the top and makes sense (thank you), the LC jar does look clear and see through.  It definitely didn't look like mycelium floating, hope she grows into a thick Mass @Severian   :meditate:

P1140944.JPG

P1140945.JPG

#7 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:30 AM

Yaya great info myc.

I'm working on building a mush-room again- waiting until my poly sheeting shows up and then it's onto building a proper sab. Itching to get back into the agar.

Hemocytometer sounds fun. A few more steps down the road for me.
  • MushLuvR likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!