• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 naMmoorhshsuM

naMmoorhshsuM

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 05:47 PM

Hey guys!! Finally made full member status and can ask some questions!!! I can’t stress enough how much I love learning from this site/ everyone here!!

My question is, does anyone use boomer bags when sprouting cubes??? And if so what’s your luck?? Let’s get a good thread going!! Thanks and mush love!!
  • Arathu and Juthro like this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2022 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to Topia......

As far as bags go I make and then sterilize my own in a pressure cooker at 15 psi for some range of time depending on substrate(s)

Purchased, they will be as good as the sterilization and aseptic technique (theirs and yours), and then the spores, and of course the methods.....IME 

There is definitely plenty of information here for your reading and self education.....enjoy

A

• Juthro, MushLuvR and naMmoorhshsuM like this

#3 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2022 - 08:56 PM

Most folks that I know have never used boomer bags since Coco is the easiest route for bulk, whether you want to start with cakes, or Grain... spawning to Coir is OH SO easy and virtually fool proof.  Most start with cakes and bypass the PC, not the path I took, but we all have to start somewhere, and you can go bulk with cakes as well.  Many options in this hobby WE all Luv, my advice is to choose a way to grow and stick to the steps and don't veer off the beaten path.  Once you get your technique down, you can experiment until the cows come home.  All the Best.... IN your Success!

• Arathu, Juthro and naMmoorhshsuM like this

#4 naMmoorhshsuM

naMmoorhshsuM

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!! This is my first go around at everything and I just kinda went off the monotub video that NS put out and went off that…. I guess I was thinking there might be somthing to add to the sub to make them a little stronger, but it’s almost looking like I might just have to go the pan route in the future…. I was also reading about the Azurscens but those will probably have to wait for an out door project…..they seem complicated
  • MushLuvR likes this

#5 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2022 - 09:22 AM

Honestly, Pans are extremely picky, and everything has to be just about perfect or close to it.  It's probably the one that is my nemesis right now, THAT and Maitake on the edible side.  BOTH of them give me a RUN for my money every time.  Enough of me and my situation, if I were you, I would get some cube grows under my belt and venture over to Ps Cyans if you want to do an outdoor bed.  VERY forgiving an easy to get a ton of wood chips for a nice bed, or a tub if that's your thing.  Check out the Woodie thread if you have a chance or want to explore.  That being said, Pans can and have been grown, the hardest part is finding a culture that will do well, In my experience, isolation and cloning will help with those sensitive suckers.  All the best, this hobby is an addiction (growing different Mush all the time) in itself.  

Check out the Pan thread as well, a plethora of information and a wealth of knowledge from Pan growers MUCH better than my results.  Stick with it, we all lose projects sometimes, it's how we get back up and brush ourselves off is what matters the most.  I can tell you; I've ran MANY trays, and it still hurts to this day... to see a beautiful sub go to the Trich Eye in the Sky.  Especially when you troubleshoot the issue and realize, YA blew it.  Peace River Below   :meditate:

P1110911.JPG

P1110928.JPG

Edited by MushLuvR, 17 October 2022 - 09:25 AM.

• Arathu, Juthro and naMmoorhshsuM like this

#6 naMmoorhshsuM

naMmoorhshsuM

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 02:06 PM

Awesome! I have been trying to take in as much as I can!! It’s all such an amazing process, and the differences in each type is incredibly intriguing!

With the pans there I see your using what seems to be the roaster style aluminum pans. Do you have those inside a Martha or how are you keeping them isolated from the environment?? I’m fairly fond of the tub idea for the sake that Ive already invested in tubs, and also the fact that they seem fairly low maintenance. I am lacking a PC currently so I used the NS Pre pasteurized/sterilized bags, first run has been fairly fool proof! My thought would be the pans would be fairly easy as well as long as one kept everything clean and sterile when getting everything started, am I wrong to assume so?? I am hoping In time to try other teks for cost purposes, but for ease purposes it’s hard not to go this route…..

Really enjoy the engagement on this post and appreciate your time! Those look like some yummy mushys!
  • MushLuvR likes this

#7 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2022 - 07:05 PM

IF you've never done this, even if you have actually, and have no way of sterilizing things truly then pre sterilized "stuff" is an option for sure......

A SAB (still air box) or even a glove bag will work for nocking up jars.....tam rates are sometimes high...

Use great care with rubbing alcohol and open flames especially in enclosed spaces where YOU are...fire sucks

Expect contamination and figure out why....correct it...move on....

Success can be elusive at first....don't give up....learn and it will come....

Learning to make clean spawn is fundamental to what you're trying to do......rock out a dozen PF jars while you study and learn how to make good grain spawn

Grab the first good PC you can get and covet it.....you'll be amazed how that changes things....if you're serious make it a goal IMHO

My couple of pfennigs.....along with very good vibes...

Cubes and oysters are the bluegill of fungus....both are easy and great.....IME 

A

• Juthro, MushLuvR and naMmoorhshsuM like this

#8 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2022 - 01:04 PM

I have grown PANs in my old Mono Tub (66qt) as well, BUT much more work than the Martha for exchanges.   I went SUPER loose with poly for the top holes, and medium/light on the surface level holes.  5-6 Lid exchanges throughout the day, good thing they usually pin in 5 days and done in 10 - 12 (extra work) depending on how warm they are.  In the martha, they do well in the 77–79-degree range, with peaks of 81... they like heat.  Yup, just some cheap throwaway trays that my wife hates me stealing, I also have some glass casserole "trays" I use often.  Well... yes and NO... most of us can't run a "sterile" environment, very costly, so we manipulate Air with Alcohol (or some use water/soap... haven't tried it) to sanitize for a period of time to get our work done.  Once you have clean spawn, especially with cubes, you could just about sneeze on the sub and be fine.  The toughest issues with Pans is finding a fast culture that won't stall out on you and keeping the subs surface in perfect condition.  Too wet, it's a TrichOTreat Festival, too dry and it's a NO Pins Party.  It's like you are on a high wire trying to balance yourself without falling one way or the other (Air Vs Water).  ALL super successful pan grows are in Martha's, except one member here that has an EPIC Monotub of fruits.  I can't think of too many folks doing exceptionally well without a humidifier.  

Well put @Arathu, Cubes and Oysters No doubt are "the bluegill of fungus" and eating edible block fruits is OH SO Rewarding!  All the Best... OF Luck

Edited by MushLuvR, 18 October 2022 - 01:05 PM.

• Arathu likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!