• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 10:33 AM

I have a 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator m... Which I love.

Unfortunately, my solar system hates the 600 volts it pulls and I have to choose between a few hours of drying and keeping my food cold

So I yanked out the heating element/fan and slapped in a small 8 inch personal fan- I'm planning on sticking one, and possibly two incandescent light bulbs in their to raise the temp a bit- but will the light itself cause any problems?

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,308 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2022 - 12:06 PM

I'm going to assume you meant 600 watts, and not 600 volts. 

If it were me, I wouldn't tear up the Excalibur and change it, I would just make a separate DIY dehydrator.    It sounds like you've got a lot of sunshine where your at, so going the solar route may be what your looking for.   Maybe try to make something that uses the same racks, that would simplify the build some.  There are lots of plans an ideas on the internet for theses kind of projects.  With a little research you should be able to find something that fits your situation.

As far as using an incandescent bulb to power a dehydrator, they work well.  You dont even need a fan if you design them right, if the bulb is mounted low it's heat can draw air through the unit by convection.   I've got a Mormon friend of mine that's got an old school plywood unit his dad made some 60 years ago that runs off a 150w bulb.   I cant even guess at the number of pounds of fruits and veggies that old box has dehydrated.  It's a bit slow compared to the Excalibur, but it does the same job.

#3 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 08:18 AM

Thx for the info

Ya, next mission is actually building a solar power dehydrator- I've done one before but looking at a different model- my modified Excalibur Is only cuz flush needed dehydrating right now

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!