• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krongi

krongi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 06:58 PM

So I want to start some agar plates and almost every recipe I see calls for light malt extract. I haven't been able to find it locally and I would prefer not to shop amazon or another online retailer. 

Is there anything that I can replace the malt extract with? I'm not sure where I saw it but I believe someone has a tek doing it with the water from a boiled potato. Will a sweet potato work or would the sugar content be too high for the myc?

It may have also been a LC tek, possibly not an agar tek. Either way, I'd love to hear how anyone might make due without using it.

Edit:

I've done agar before but the plates weren't too successful. I just left out the LME iirc.

Edited by krongi, 31 October 2022 - 07:00 PM.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2022 - 08:09 PM

Check out this book and see if it helps you out a bit, I attached the PDF book.Attached File  The_Media_Recipe_Book.pdf   302.79KB   43 downloads

• Myc, Arathu, Juthro and 1 other like this

#3 krongi

krongi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 11:40 PM

Thanks coors! I think you helped me with some great info a long time ago. Your name sounds very familiar, and judging by your post count, you've been here for a minute.

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2022 - 06:30 PM

The classic Media Recipe Book? Sweet!

Potatoes and honey agar rocks IME....PDA too....

Get down a baseline of learning how to make a good firm agar and then experiment your ass off.....

I just order my stuff from a supply house....

A

• bezevo likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2022 - 10:00 AM

I've used potatoes - but I've never tried sweet potatoes. Reds, Russets, and Yukon Golds all work just fine from my experience.

Another novel agar to make is String Bean Agar. I did some experiments with this media and it worked just like everything else. No problems. I'm pretty sure the recipe is in the link Coorsmikey provided.

• Arathu and bezevo like this

#6 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 03:46 PM

I'm using molasses right now as a sugar source.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!