64 replies to this topic

#61 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,861 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:07 AM

You could probably cut back you water a ml or 2 for the 1/4 pints Mycol. 1/4 pints of oats don't need warm shakes, it is helpful but not necessary for quarts.

That is an interesting data point Severian, I've never run jars on their sides, I wonder if you lost water somehow during the process? When I no-prep bags of grain, I try to flatten them for the PC and they seem to come out ok. Did your vertical jars come out ok?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#62 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 582 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2023 - 09:02 AM

Vertical jars no issue- a bit uneven hydration, but that's expected I guess and I let them cool down overnight before getting to them in the am, so no hot shake.

I'll be doing another run here in a day or so so I can test again and see if it is indeed the horizontlness which is the issue
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#63 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,203 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2023 - 03:12 PM

I'm betting it's because they are on their side, I've run 7 jar runs no problem, but I have a 16qt and can't fit more, you must have the 23.  My guess is some of the seeds aren't fully submerged in the water, try and make sure all seeds are under water on its side if you are going to test further.  If not, 7 jars will be plenty of work to play with if you can't run 10 No prep style.  I guess you could prep 3 if you are dead set on 10 at a time.  Options, and then MORE options.  Please update if you test another round.   :meditate:

• YoshiTrainer and Mycol like this

#64 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 582 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:50 AM

Yup, results are in

Jars run on their side don't hydrate properly.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#65 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 02:47 PM

I ran 5 half pint jars and one quarter . Did 2T oats and a little less than 20 ml on all of them . Didn’t want to fill up my half pints all the way back they’re bc decorative glass ones that you can’t see through .
A few burst grains . Shook them but they might not have even needed it .
Putting shiitakes on soon .

Edited by Mycol, 20 January 2023 - 06:14 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!