With the new harvest coming in, I needed to empty out my 1/2 gallon Mason jars from last year. It is a rough situation to find yourself in, let me tell you. I gave my friends some of the extra and decided to make butter from the rest plus other stuff a friend gave me. Normally I make butter from leftover trim and sugar leaves/small stems that i collect. If I'd been thinking, I'd run this flower w/dry ice then make butter but it was too late. In a big brew pot I added butter, water and lots of flower.
I added more water after the photo.
I lightly boiled for 6 hours, adding water as needed. Everyone was gone and that was a good thing because my house was filled with the most beautiful perfume. I started draing off the mix and could tell how dirty the flowers were. The first plastic bucket was filled and water was dumped back in the pot to try to extract more butter. After the second pouring off of the water/butter solution, I realized how important squeezing was. With the stems/leaves I normally run, not such a big deal til the end but the flower really sucks up the butter. After filling multiple buckets they all went into the extra fridge to set then quickly into the freezer for the butter to harden. I filtered all the butter from the various tubs and combined them. I was a little grossed out by how dirty the water was and how much sediment was left in the buckets.
I filtered the combined butter through a mesh strainer to pull out bits of flower. Then I ran it through a funnel stuffed with Polyfil to filter the remaining white fly carcasses. :o It went into a plastic tub and I added more clean water, then into the fridge and eventually the freezer to set the butter.
What I was left with is a beautifully dark green disc of butter. I still need to melt it one more time and put it into 1/2 or 1/4 pint jars for easy usage later.
Made some butter
Started By YoshiTrainer , Nov 16 2022 04:34 PM
No replies to this topic