• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 09:24 AM

I've got a tub of BPK that's underperforming and I think that's because it's a little on the thin side like 2" thick. Its only fruiting along the top edges of the sub. I'm thinking about slicing it in half, stacking like a layer cake and using a thin layer of sub as icing between the layers to aid in the bonding of them. I would then place it in a smaller footprint tub. My question is am I nuts or a genius and is there a chance it will work? Has anyone tried this method or have suggestions?
  • Moonless likes this

#2 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,802 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2022 - 12:14 PM

Hello FunnyFarmer, a 2" sub should be ok, you might have to give it a little extra water during the flush but should be OK otherwise. I'd guess your surface conditions may be off, perhaps a bit dry? Can you post a pic? Your idea of breaking and stacking the sub would probably work, I'd guess w/out the "icing". You'd need to give it a week or two to consolidate before fruiting.

I had a sub that was covered with spores after the first flush so I crumbled it and placed it back into the shoebox. After it consolidated, I fruited it again. :)

Good luck!
  • MushLuvR likes this

#3 JustinAskin

JustinAskin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 12:39 PM

I like the thought process behind this. I don't see why it would not work.... :tinfoil:

Keep us updated please.

#4 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 08:12 PM

Hello FunnyFarmer, a 2" sub should be ok, you might have to give it a little extra water during the flush but should be OK otherwise. I'd guess your surface conditions may be off, perhaps a bit dry? Can you post a pic? Your idea of breaking and stacking the sub would probably work, I'd guess w/out the "icing". You'd need to give it a week or two to consolidate before fruiting.

I had a sub that was covered with spores after the first flush so I crumbled it and placed it back into the shoebox. After it consolidated, I fruited it again. :)

Good luck!

Even from the first flush it wanted to fruit along the edge and was quite stingy with it's production, like one every other day. After spawning it was fully colonized within a week then started developing an overlay. It never developed primordia  that I could discern. A week after the overlay took over I forked the surface and a few days later I had some pins on it. It's now in the second flush and I'm harvesting a lot more but still again only along the edges. I may have shortchanged the sub mix of gypsum so I'm certain that has come into play. I noticed that in action with a subsequent grow of A+ albino where I used a different recipe from Willey Myco's youtube channel, he uses not only gypsum but powdered oyster shells too in larger quantities (5%) than what I usually use (probably 2% of the mix). That grow shows promise of developing a canopy, something I've never had.

BPK tub  DSC01905 (Medium).JPG   DSC01907 (Medium).JPG   A+ Albino  DSC01908 (Medium).JPG   A+  DSC01909 (Medium).JPG

The hole in the cluster is where I was able to extricate a mature shroom. As for the A+ those don't look like albino to me so I'm a little confused. The BPK shrooms have a little bit in common with the PE as in the cap doesn't really open up after parting ways with the veil.

I wish I had thought of your idea of crumbling a sub that had been spored on rather than trying milk it for more. One of my earliest attempts at growing shrooms was with the BRF tek. They didn't really produce much so I sliced one up into sub hoping for something. It did colonize but trich took over and ... took over three other tubs.

I'm gonna wait for this flush to finish before trying the layer cake tek so stay tuned.

#5 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 07:49 PM

I took part of this morning to saw apart the BPK sub. The intent was to photograph each step but only the final step got taken, I didn't notice the little warning about no card in the camera.... well crap! Anyway I harvested what was left on the sub and dunked it then got the recipient tub ready for the transfer then . Next up was to cut the sub in half and carefully extricate one half and put it into the recipient tub that was lined with plastic. Since the sub was smaller than the tub I put perlite between the plastic and the tub. Then i crumbled leftover sub from the last grow on top, gave it a light pat and added the second half. I added some more perlite and called it an experiment.

DSC01917 (Medium).JPG

Some of you know that my main hobby is woodworking and I occasionally post pics of projects I'm working on. This is a reinterpretation of a Stickley dresser in the style of Greene and Greene that I put the final touches on today. It's made from curly cherry and quarter sawn sycamore.

DSC01916 (Medium).JPG

The planks in the background are for my next project, a live edge headboard/footboard for my bed. They have massive amounts of bark inclusions that I intend to "paint" with holographic powder and epoxy to give it some additional bling.

• bezevo and naMmoorhshsuM like this

#6 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 01:57 AM

So far the BPK doesn't seem to be phased by the butchering I did to it, it's throwing up new shrooms. Even though the original shrooms were of good size they are now having to deal with  an effectively lower head room and of course larger size with the second flush. This may become problematic as I didn't build any way to vary the shelf spacing. This smells an awful lot like a new woodworking project... on top of all the other projects I've got planned that will complement the dresser I just finished. Those include a night stand, small bookcase, blanket chest and a drop front secretary, these are all for the bedroom. I almost forgot the headboard and footboard  for my bed. Good thing I have shrooms as a side hobby to keep me busy.

• naMmoorhshsuM likes this

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:37 PM

It turned out I had to end this grow along with another because of a trich contam in the A+ grow. I didn't want to risk widespread contam of the grow room. But this tek worked out very nicely, I wanted to see how well the sub layers had integrated so I tried lifting off the top layer. Even though it was only 6 days since putting them together they were firmly attached to each other. In that sense it was a resounding success, not something I want to rely on but you never know when it will come in handy.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!