#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 582 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2022 - 11:11 AM

Question.

Does the firmness of the agar affect speed of colonization?

I've been of the experience that harder/firmer agar is easier to work with- but I'm questioning if perhaps there's excessively firm agar inhibits mycelial growth- if so, then there must be a sweet spot between 'ease of taking wedges' and 'optimal firmness for growth'

I think also that another variable is that different agar brands vary according to how strong a gel they give... So I've been feeling the stuff I've been buying is rather on the weak side, and have been adding more than the general recommendations to compensate for this.
  • Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 06:43 PM

I go for the consistency of soft jello. Jelly is way too soft for my liking, I managed to do that once...

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2022 - 08:40 AM

The amount of agar vs the water used is the primary way to adjust that characteristic IME....and IMHO your lab notes are of great value to you when questioning such things.....

I need to get off my arse and build a nice mobile flow-hood (I got the filter already) so I can better control temperatures when I pour.....

A search turned up some links for your browsing and reading pleasure....

https://www.scienceo...erties_agar.htm

http://www.scienceas...32s_011_017.pdf

A

• Ferather, Severian and MushLuvR like this

#4 JustinAskin

JustinAskin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 12:31 PM

I am thinking my mix may have been a bit on the firm side. ‍♂

Mabey I will try thinning it out next time.

Following...

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,861 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:26 AM

So long as your agar is not dry, you should be fine. For me, i do no-pour into 1/4 pint jars. My agar comes out on the firm side which let's me cut wedges or scrape up mycelium to transfer.

There is Semi Solid LC (SSLC) which is where you add a small amount of agar to your LC. This makes it coat your grains like gravy instead of water.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!