33 replies to this topic

#1 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Straw prep
I use a Black and decker leaf hog BV4000 to get the straw to the proper length. I set the unit up on a couple of lawn chairs and feed the straw into the machine until the bag is full, empty the bag into a rubbermaid bin and suck it up again, dump it into the bin again and cycle it one more time through the machine to get it the right length. I'll put that chopped straw in another rubbermaid and repeat untill I have enough straw to build a log.
Black and Decker Leaf Hog High Performance Blower Vac - BV4000.jpg
Straw pasteurization
After it is chopped up I'll soak it in a rubbermaid tub for an hour or so.
Make sure it is submerged, I use a steel mesh from the hardware cut to the size of the bin and some weights to hold it down.
For the paseurization bath I use a 32 litre pot that I use for deep frying turkeys.
The PC I use came with 2 stand off plates, and I only ever used one of them, so I found a use for the second one.
DSC00275.JPG
The 32 litre pot is the same diameter as my PC.
I've cut out a piece of steel mesh about an inch larger in diameter then the extra stand off plate and using a piece of wire I attached them together.
I'll heat roughly 20 litres of water to 150 degrees and put a heaping tablespoon of hydrated lime in it and stir it up.
The straw goes in and I put the wire-standoff plate on top and push it in till it is all uderwater.
This works kind of like a french press used for coffee, and is where I got the idea.
DSC00278.JPG
I don't push it down all the way, I like to make sure the straw is floating off the bottom a bit so it doesn't get too much heat from the element on the stove.
I'll keep it between 140 and 150 degrees for an hour and a half, pulling the mesh-plate out half way through to stir it all up and pushing it back down again for the rest of the time.
When 1.5 hours is up I pour the water out and put the straw back into the cleaned rubbermaid with some jars under the mesh and the straw can sit there and drain for a few hours, and it will be ready to use when I have everything else ready.
DSC00279.JPG

#2 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:09 PM

Additives

I like to put a mix of composted cow manure, spent coffee grinds and vermiculite in my strawlogs. The shrooms seem to like the diversity in the substrate and the vermiculite is for rez effect. I use 7 quarts of this mix in my logs.

Prep

I fill a three bowls seperately with each item. The mix will end up being mostly shit and vermiculite with a smaller amount of coffee grinds. I've never measured any of this out before. I'm an eyeballer when it comes to just about everything in life.
DSC00269.JPG
I'll get the contents of eack bowl to field capacity with tap water. I'll mix in a couple of pinches of hydrated lime into the coffee grinds to offset the acidity and then mix it all up together in a larger bowl.
DSC00270.JPG

Pasteurization

Once I'm sure I have thoroughly mixed up everything I'll load the mix into quart mason jars using my no mess dollar store canning funnel.
DSC00271.JPG
Fill them to the top and put the lids on rubber side up and load them into a big pot.

I put enough water in the pot to cover 3/4 up to the jars and heat the water to 140-150 degrees. I keep that temperature for 2 hours and let them cool in the pot overnight. The next day I pull them out and make sure they get to room temperature before I use it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00273.JPG
  • DSC00272.JPG

#3 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

Building the log

I hope you havn't come this far without any spawn to inoculate your strawlog with :) I use rye berries that have been knocked up with a clone LC.
http://mycotopia.net...ht=wait cloning

I use my kitchen to put it all together, I spend some time cleaning the floor with bleach and I wear latex gloves, but it is far from being a sterile work area. Doesn't have to be, I'm careful not to sneeze into the project but besides that it's all good.
DSC00280.JPG
The bags I use are of poor quality, they are thin and rip easily, but I'll just tape a piece of a ziplock bag over the rip to patch it up. The bags I use are 10" in diameter and about 3' long. Polytubing is what is commonly used for anyone who doesn't have a source for the suitable free bags like I do.
I tie a knot in the bottom of the bag so when it comes time to birth I can cut it off. I'll roll the bag down and start with a layer of 4" layer of straw.
DSC00282.JPG
A layer of spawn goes on next.
DSC00286.JPG
Cover the spawn with an inch of so of the (shit, coffee grinds and vermiculite) mix.
DSC00287.JPG
I'll keep on going with that pattern of layering untill I run out of spawn. Make sure the first and last layers are straw. I pack the stuff in real tight as it gets built and when I'm finished I put all my weight on it and knot off the end. I try and make the log as tightly packed as humanly possible. Tie off the end and from here it will go into my fruiting chamber and I’ll put slits into the plastic around 3” apart all over the log using a box cutter knife.
DSC00135.JPG

#4 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:48 PM

Fruiting the log
I have a 4 teer portable greenhouse, that I keep at 85ish RH and the log will sit on the top or middle rack(depending on what else I may have going on in there) for 10-14 days like this till it's done colonizing.
When it is fully and I see pins it is time to birth the log.
I wish I had more pics of this part, but I had a hardrive problem and all my pics got wiped out...this tek is patched together with misc. pics salvaged from mycotopia and a few on my cam. I'll update this tek when I can get more pics from a future grow.
I cut the knot off both ends of the log and with a sharp knife I'll put 4 slits in the plastic the whole length of it, and at the top I'll cut a 2 or 3" wide strip right off, and flip the log over so the bottom is sitting directly on the rack with no plastic under it. Twice a day I peel the plastic back and let fresh air in and cover back up to keep in as much moisture as possible. As the mushrooms grow, they will push the plastic away from the log.
Here's some pics of some old strawlogs-

front.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00146.JPG
  • sa3.jpg
  • mexi 076.jpg
  • log23.jpg

#5 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

Dunking

I have a colmen cooler that I use just for dunking my logs. I put a splash of bleach in the water and a bag of ice, I the have a plastic tray with holes in it that I set on top of the log, and when I close the lid on the cooler the tray pushes the log under water with the help of a stack of magazines on the lid.
I do this right in the bathtub. I let it Dunk for 3 hours and then pull the plug in the bottom of the cooler and drain it. Now the log has way too much water in it, so I take the plastic tray from the top and pick the log up and put the tray under it while it is still in the cooler. The log can drain off any extra water that will mess things up in a grow area. I'll leave it like that over night with the lid on the cooler closed. Wake up the next morning and you will have a saturated log ready for another flush.
It is the 2nd and 3rd flush that throws out the bigguns for me.
Most of you have seen these before, but I feel they belong in the tek-

mexi 127.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• mexi 084.jpg
  • mexi 020.jpg
  • 403 039.jpg
  • mexi 019.jpg

#6 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:04 PM

If I have been unclear on anything please feel free to ask.
Happy growing!

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

Ah yes ...We've been waiting for this one Rev...glad u came through...

#8 grove_shroomer

grove_shroomer

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

wow i wish i could get those munchies btw what strain is it? good job btw

#9 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

those are some massive ones, how much dry is one of those? im guessing mexi?

#10 Outer

Outer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

im guessing SA:bow:

#11 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

Thanks all!
The ones chilling with the corona are Mexi-Cubs and the ones below are South American. They are both great yielding strains.

how much dry is one of those?

I've had one over 30 grams dry, and there is a quarter pound bag somewhere that consists of four mushroom:)

#12 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

Great write up Rev! :bow:
You're the Master of Bigguns,
I never really knew how you did it...
but now we have a better idea.
Thanks!

#13 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks man. Really.

I've been waiting quite anxiously on a writeup like this from you! I just skimmed it now, but I'll be digesting it more slowly and with relish over the next few days.

THANK YOU !!!!!!

#14 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

If only I could accomplish that Rev.

You da man..:bow:

#15 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ahh jeez guys!
All these nice words make me want to devulge the secret ingredient that gives me the large fruits:love:

If only I could accomplish that Rev.

You can, have you done any cloning?

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

4 mushrooms=a q/p! Damn!

Nice write up man.

#17 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:44 PM

this shit is incredible
:bow::bow::bow:

thank you for taking the time,
o' master of the biggun :bow:

#18 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hopefully, my first successful clone will be with your tek, and then I'm going to try a straw log. :)

#19 bluehoney

bluehoney

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hey Rev., Do you get a lot of condensation on the tubing after sealing and waiting for the myc to run thru the mix?

I Just made two logs with straw/ H poo/ and verm in basically the same manner, but i notice a lot of condensation in there, and no water drained out after settling and slitting. It's day 4 now, the myc is growing a little, maybe didnt' use enough spawn ?(1 quart for each, 12" long and 5" diameter)

Also, do you notice an odor at all? And can you estimate how much longer it takes the myc to really gear up as compared to how quickly it runs thru straight straw log?

btw, thanks for the sweet write up, I'm following that one next time...

#20 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

[QUOTE]Hey Rev., Do you get a lot of condensation on the tubing after sealing and waiting for the myc to run thru the mix? [/QUOTE]
I sure do! It looks like it is sweating pretty bad on the inside. I too was worried about that with my first.
[QUOTE]It's day 4 now, the myc is growing a little, maybe didnt' use enough spawn ?(1 quart for each, 12" long and 5" diameter)
[/QUOTE]
What ratio of horse manure did you use? If it was lots and you packed it in tight it may take longer to colonize. Best to go easy on the manure when doing logs.
[QUOTE]Also, do you notice an odor at all?QUOTE]
I can't smell it at all till it gets birthed, I'm not really experienced with using horse manure, just composted cow.
Could you describe the smell you are noticing?
[QUOTE]And can you estimate how much longer it takes the myc to really gear up as compared to how quickly it runs thru straight straw log?
[/QUOTE]
The next day I'll see growth, the layer of that mix that goes on my spawn seem to give the myc a running start, and I'm always amazed at how fast it spreads through the straw.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!