• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

I'm building a small grow cab for scrogging one or two plants. The space will be about half a square meter. (a small filing cabinet)

The problem I'm having is that I can't find a 150 or 250 watt light and ballast in the Netherlands for a reasonable price. Its MUCH cheaper to buy a 400 Watt ballast and light (such as the one here: http://www.joza.nl/D...apparatuur.html )

Can I grow in a small cab with this much light without some turbo sized ventilation?

I'd check overgrow, but.....

#2 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

Okay. I'm pretty sure now that there is no way I can cool a 400W in that space without fans more expensive than I'm willing to buy.
I have the delima now that:
A) A 150 HPS ballast is ~30 euro, that ok. but the bulb is 42 euro!!!
B) A 250 HPS ballast is ~45 euro, but the bulb is only 16.
I'm not sure I need 250 watts....
Lets see, I want about under 50 (edit: was 100) watts/foot
Grow area is 1.5' by 3' =4.5
that 50watts/sq foot. That woud be ok I think...

#3 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

A friend of me, also in the Netherlands, has the same problem. I've advised to just extend the closet a bit and make better airflow but he is going to try to cool it better first. He's going to try to build a cool tube.

If you didnt buy the lamp yet, you could also consider growing under CFL's (spaarlampen ;) ). I've read a lot of good stuff about it getting more than decent bud in the smallest spaces. If you google for cfl's or drop me a PM I can send you some details.

DD

#4 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

DD do you now the 'Technische Unie' what do they charge for a 150W bulb ?

#5 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

I dont know...I started my grow with 400MH for growing and 600HPS for flowering. I bought all that and THEN I found out about cfl's.

After 1 or 2 grows I'm definitaly going to try those.

#6 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

Those cfl's has to be a specific color right ?..so what's the color code ?

..example 11w/91 << this code

#7 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

I've read alot of good things about CFLs, but you need alot and they dont have much penetrating power. I've grown with a 150 watt HPS before, in a homemade cooltube (from an oil lamp thing). It was really nice for not much power (75% less than my PC).

I'm growing now because my coffeeshop has raised prices and quality is down. They say its because the summer was so hot that attic grow rooms produced poor bud for the past few months. Still, it would be nice to save that money and grow my own. I dont need super stealth, I only plan for 1-3 plants, well under the legal limit :) Just stealth enough that I dont have to get into a conversation about it with everyone that visits my house. The major problem is that I don't have any space in my tiny apartment. I would have a 400 or 600 over a few plants if I had the space, but I don't. I can only have a tiny tiny grow (according to the wife...).

#8 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

DD do you now the 'Technische Unie' what do they charge for a 150W bulb ?

When you said this I though you ment stealing them from fixtures at the university. My neighbor did his grow this way. I'm not much of a criminal.

#9 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

lol..no no it's a big supplier in Rotterdam that sels elektronic,and stuff for plummers etc. !

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!