Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone have tips on reconditioning a blower?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:57 PM

I recently acquired a used squirrel cage blower. It's in perfect working order, but it's dirty as hell. How should I go about cleaning/reconditioning this blower with the intention of using it in a laminar flow hood? The blower came from a home furnace.

Assuming that all goes well with the blower I'll be on the market for a good HEPA filter in the near future. Any advice concerning filter size and recommendations for sites/places to purchase a filter is greatly appreciated.

The new site looks great!

Al

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:12 AM

good thing the blower is outside of the flowhood so dirt on it isn't really relevant.
i suppose one could scrub it good with bristle brush, use wd-40 as solvent for the tough spots.
some filter sources listed here-
http://mycotopia.net...html?1072046812

from http://mycotopia.net...ges/5/2630.html

#3 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:56 AM

I used to clean furnaces.If the squirrel cage comes off the motor ( most do ) you can clean it with a good detergent and a hose. We used HVAC coil cleaner. A stiff brush and a shop vac will get a lot off the motor as well.
Is it belt drive or direct drive? Post a pic if you can, I'll try to help you out...;)

#4 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

Thanks guys. It is a belt drive and it looks like the motor is detachable. I'm still a throwback to the era of film, but I'll try to find a digital to borrow.

#5 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

i'd like to find a used blower & motor, where did u find yours? out of an old ac or furnace?

#6 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

look in the phonebook for heating and air conditioning companies
go to the address they are at early in the morning when all the installers are unloading the old furnaces out of their vans that they took out the day before and ask if you can have the blower out of one
I bet they will oblige and may even steer you to one that is in good shape
take some small wrenches (sockets) and some wire cutters

#7 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

A friend of mine is contracted by a local oil and gas company to work on furnaces, install chimney liners, etc. He's been doing this for at least a year now. I happened to mention one day that I could use a squirrel cage blower. As it turns out, this guy's been throwing out used blowers at a rate that would make any Mycotopian's head spin. Two days after mentioning that I need a blower, I was the proud new owner of a MASSIVE friggin blower, free of charge. This thing is probably three feet tall!!! It's in perfect working order too. I just need to clean it and attach a new plug to the cord. This one was actually thrown around a bit before he got his hands on it. It seems that the guys that rip these things out also like to smash them into pieces. My friend said that he'll just tell his crew not to smash them until he looks them over. I told him the general type of blower: CFM, CFM @ X Static Pressure, voltage, etc. He will be saving blowers that meet these criteria until I tell him otherwise. I don't know the specs on the blower that I already have because any possible text is covered in grime, but judging from the looks of it I'll need a fan speed control turned all the way down for a 24"x24" HEPA. This thing is BIG and HEAVY. I'm guessing that it would cost around 80 to 100 US Dollars to ship it a few hundred miles via UPS. I haven't checked on these prices at all. My guess is based on vague memories, could be more, could be less (hopefully less). My friend is considering salvaging and reconditioning these blowers for resale. (my idea, just tryin to help out our community) This all depends on suppply, demand, shipping cost and how much of a pain in the ass it will be to clean these things (unless you feel like doing the cleaning). I told him that I'm certain I know a few people that would take one ;) It's still up in the air, but if things come together I'll have virtually free blowers for all in need... With, of course, an ENORMOUS discount to everyone here at Mycotopia. (ENORMOUS discount = as close to free as possible) If this works out, a large portion of the profit, if any profit is made, will be donated to the board, so I'm really hoping that this works out. If there's no profit, I figure that I'll add a couple bucks (i.e. $5 US) to the shipping price of each blower and give that to The Hippie. I haven't spoken with him concerning this matter because it is still speculatory, but I assume that Mycotopia still accepts donations. If you happen to read this, Hippie3 let me know what you think.

I also just found out, thaks to Hip's link above, that I live about an hour from one of the HEPA filter companies. My friend may have already done business with them. If his business can fit a blower and a HEPA into one box without damaging the HEPA this could save a shit load of $$ on shipping...

After I spend some more time looking into this matter I'll make sure to let everybody know the results. Please remember, this idea is in its infancy at this point. He got the blower for me last week. I haven't even taken it out of his garage yet since I don't have a HEPA, plywood, etc.

I'll do my best to make this happen. I like the idea of cheap laminar flow hoods for all as much as anyone else here does.

Peace,
Al

#8 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

yup , I bet my installers throw out ten or fifteen old furnaces a day of all sizes, hell, if the sales guys are cookin we even throw away newer stuff

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!