• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

Hello all, I recently dunked the trays of cambodian that I made up, and have yet to see any real pinning from them. All conditions are the same as before, fanning/misting included, the room is still 25C (77F), but the boomers just aren't growing. Across 5 trays, I've only seen about 8 pins (3 matured and have been picked). The tub is still getting lots of light including indirect sunlight to aide it. I got a combined 70g dry off of the first flush from the 5 tinfoil trays of brf and verm. What would cause a 2nd flush to be so...lacking?

#22 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

How long has it been since you dunked and how long has it been since the first flush?

#23 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

how long has it been since you dunk? you use bleach tek?

#24 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

I got a combined 70g dry off of the first flush from the 5 tinfoil trays of brf and verm.

BRF/verm my least favorite(and it is essentially REz and not a casing cause verm has no nutes)...........i have never seen good results IME.........better to just fruit the cakes (and they are more resilient too)

also you would want your RH at 85 percent or so...........

you might not have given the trays enough time to colonize after mixed, causing a delay.......

you might have the moisture in the sub too high or too low........

a number of factors could be the problem..........

#25 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

The flush was mostly completed by April 2nd, the trays that were picked a day or two later at the most (April 4th) were dunked then. So it's been over a week. Didn't use any bleach on the dunk.

#26 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

today is the 11th so it has been exactly a week. Give it a few more days before you really start to worry. Some strains take a long time between flushes.

#27 SquaresandCubes

SquaresandCubes

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

I just finished my second flush and was wondering if it would be possible to take the pf cakes and break them down and case them this late in the game.

If so how would one go about doing this would it be normal procedures?

Would it need to be incubated again to colonize the new sub?

If it is possible would it be worth it?

#28 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

good question.

#29 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

I just finished my second flush and was wondering if it would be possible to take the pf cakes and break them down and case them this late in the game.
If so how would one go about doing this would it be normal procedures?
Would it need to be incubated again to colonize the new sub?
If it is possible would it be worth it?

If the mycelium is still healthy, it is possible to give it more food, and it will eat, spread, and fruit from the new. That is IF it's still healthy and strong. It is a better idea to use fresh strong healthy cakes or spawn, but it is possible to do with older cakes depending how they are.

#30 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

If no more food and you just wanna crush down the cakes, I'd leave em as is now in cake form.

#31 SquaresandCubes

SquaresandCubes

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:21 AM

They are still healthy I was just wondering if this would pust out more than if they were still in cake form.

#32 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have been doing 12 hr dunks with nominal success, but I decided to step it up to 24 hrs in the hopes of getting a bit more yield. Now my cakes are stalling with a pin here and there. The inside of the terrarium is DRIPPING wet. Fanning a few times a day. Could I have too much humidity? I didn't think that was possible with cakes, am I wrong about that? BTW they are on their third flush and I had been getting much better 5th and even 6th flushes prior to this little "experiment".

#33 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

Three flushes is the norm for cakes. I'm not saying you can't get more because I've gotten five flushes out of a cake before. But sometimes 3 is all that you're going to get. Also what is the consistency of the cakes? Are they hard or are they waterlogged? Excess humidity where it's dripping on your cakes can also stall growth and rot your cakes.

#34 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

I've grown a few times but that is a contradiction I just can't get my head around and I've heard it many times: why can you dunk, yet people say you shouldn't let tiny droplets of water get on your cake - a dunk is wetter than a droplet!

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

dissolved oxygen is the answer
water droplets quickly lose theirs, smothering underlying tissue
in a couple days
but a short dunk won't hurt, just don't over-do it,
multiple short dunks are better than one long dunk

#36 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

boy, that makes a lot of sense!

#37 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

dissolved oxygen is the answer
water droplets quickly lose theirs, smothering underlying tissue
in a couple days
but a short dunk won't hurt, just don't over-do it,
multiple short dunks are better than one long dunk

Thanks. That's cleared that up in my mind at last.

#38 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

Cakes may be a bit waterlogged Sharkie. I think I'll go back to 12 hr. dunks. My terrarium has TONS of condensation but there is nothing dripping on the cakes. It can't be to humid for cakes, correct?

#39 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

no, not as such but the droplets of course can be trouble.
your cakes do sound a bit water-logged, too.

#40 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

I have been doing 12 hr dunks with nominal success, but I decided to step it up to 24 hrs in the hopes of getting a bit more yield. Now my cakes are stalling with a pin here and there. The inside of the terrarium is DRIPPING wet. Fanning a few times a day. Could I have too much humidity? I didn't think that was possible with cakes, am I wrong about that? BTW they are on their third flush and I had been getting much better 5th and even 6th flushes prior to this little "experiment".

Sounds like they are water logged... How do the cakes feel? Sometimes they don't need a dunk at all between flushes. I'm noticing my OI cakes are very moist still and I'm not gonna dunk them this next flush. If they are too wet, as hip mentioned, there's o2 issues. Let the tanks air a bit, and drop the humidity. This should decrease the water in the cakes and let em dry a bit.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!