#1 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

When I first started out in this hobby I sometimes had problems identifying contaminants especially before they started sprulating. I also had a hard time finding the right picture to compare my problem to. It aslways seemed my contaminant looked slightly different than all the pics I could find . So here are some pics of trich. The contaminant has just started sporulating but you can see patches of it where there are no spores. This should help people id trich before it actually starts dropping spores.

I also added some pics of shroom mycelium as a comparison. I added these pics of the shroom mycelium because it is really fluffy (non-rhizomorphic) so you can see the difference between trich and this kind of growth. When I was new to this I sometimes thought healthy mycleium was a contaminant if it looked really whispy and fluffy and the substrate would sometimes give it a funny hue.

First 2 pics are of trich with a bit of good mycleium. The last two are pics of fluffy shroom mycelium.

http://mycotopia.net...90&d=1159798321

http://mycotopia.net...91&d=1159798321

http://mycotopia.net...92&d=1159798321

http://mycotopia.net...93&d=1159798321

As you can see trich mycelium is kind of powdery looking where as the fluffy mycelium is just that; fluffy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1296.JPG
  • 100_1295.JPG
  • 100_1292.JPG
  • 100_1294.JPG

#2 Pixie Dust

Pixie Dust

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:37 AM

:cool::eusa_clap:thumbup: Thanks Dial.. This will help tons of us. But sorry for the loss of your subtrate. :( (Trich is hard to get rid of isnt it?)

#3 Mortandello

Mortandello

Brazilian Mush Hunter

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

well... trich happens!:dead:
there is a real good way to save those grains?

#4 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

what a great post for a new guy like me to see! i can still hardly tell the difference which concerns me a little. what if i accidentally didnt notice the trich and spawned to substrate and fruited?

would it even produce fruit?

would the trich continue to grow and get so obvious that even a newbee like me would see that something was wrong?

could it produce mushrooms that seemed normal in every other respect but be poison?

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

Those jars should be tossed.

well... trich happens!:dead:
there is a real good way to save those grains?

#6 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

1.It may produce fruit it may not.

2.Trich would definitely continue to grow and you would eventually see the green sporulation which is a dead give away.

3. It could produce normal mushrooms. Trich is not poisonous. You could still eat those shrooms. The problem with trying to save a contaminated project is that future projects are put into jeopardy. Trich will produce spores which will contaminate your grow environment which will possibly contaminate future grows.

You can't tell the difference? Look in the first 2 pics. The thick white mycelium is good mycelium. the powdery looking shit right next to it is trich. The bottom two pictures have no trich mycelium at all. it is healthy but fluffy mycelium.

what a great post for a new guy like me to see! i can still hardly tell the difference which concerns me a little. what if i accidentally didnt notice the trich and spawned to substrate and fruited?

would it even produce fruit?

would the trich continue to grow and get so obvious that even a newbee like me would see that something was wrong?

could it produce mushrooms that seemed normal in every other respect but be poison?

#7 Mortandello

Mortandello

Brazilian Mush Hunter

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

if he opens the jar and take some health micelyum, and try to isolate before the green sporulation, the miceluim will survive? or its all loose evven if the contamination is on the oposite side of jar?
(just in case of that be his last print or else)
i have 4 jars of Brazilian Botucatu-sp and Sao Thome das Letras-Mg wild picked that have some points of trich, and i cant go to the places i got the shrooms anymore, i lost my jars or i can try to isolate the micelium in paper or agar?
(sorry my english is very poor...:special:)

#8 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

If you can find some shroom mycelium on grain that appears to be uncontaminated then, yes, you can grab a couple of those grains and transfer them to a new sterilized jar. I would not reccomend this except in a circumstance like the one you describe. If it is the last resort to save a wild strain then try it. It will probably work.

If you can do agar work then you should transfer some mycelium to agar. That would be the best way because you can transfer mycelium as many times as you need to isolate it away from the contamination.

if he opens the jar and take some health micelyum, and try to isolate before the green sporulation, the miceluim will survive? or its all loose evven if the contamination is on the oposite side of jar?
(just in case of that be his last print or else)
i have 4 jars of Brazilian Botucatu-sp and Sao Thome das Letras-Mg wild picked that have some points of trich, and i cant go to the places i got the shrooms anymore, i lost my jars or i can try to isolate the micelium in paper or agar?
(sorry my english is very poor...:special:)

#9 Mortandello

Mortandello

Brazilian Mush Hunter

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

thanks! ill try both in agar and paper.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

great thread 8
:bow:

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

mind if i photoshop in some pointer/arrows to show where the trich is ?
a total noob might still be confused by those pix,
or maybe crop off the mycellia to show just the trich ?

#12 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

Wow, dude.

Killer thread, beautiful pics. And here I am trying to catch knots forming!!!

The shit is like night and day with those pics.

And I get to say it again: ARCHIVE MATERIAL !!!

#13 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:28 AM

You can't tell the difference? Look in the first 2 pics. The thick white Mycelium is good Mycelium. the powdery looking shit right next to it is trich. The bottom two pictures have no trich Mycelium at all. it is healthy but fluffy mycelium.

yes i can tell but i can see how i might have overlooked it on my own project before seeing this remarkably educational post.

mind if i photoshop in some pointer/arrows to show where the trich is ?
a total noob might still be confused by those pix,
or maybe crop off the mycellia to show just the trich

brilliant idea Hip!

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

here's cropped -

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1292.gif
  • attachment.gif

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

with arrows-

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1292.JPG
  • attachment.jpg

#16 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

Cool, 3! :cool: Thanks for the compliments guys. It means so much coming from you all.

#17 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Great idea Dial8... and good close ups pics. very easy to see

#18 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

beautiful. great work.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!