Fisana

- - - - -

Incubating time....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cheese_*

Guest_cheese_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:34 PM

I have been incubating for 4 days, although they were only at 72, and I see no signs of growth. I have them at 84 now. Is it looking bad for this batch? What is the approximate time for incubating? I would rather get some more started if they aren't going to work.

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:58 PM

4 days is too soon to start worrying
wait another week

#3 Guest_neverblink_*

Guest_neverblink_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:41 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

4 days is too soon to start worrying
wait another week
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
IMO, yu should really keep the temps up a little higher than 72, but hip is right, yu are rushing it a bit.

#4 Guest_taoist_*

Guest_taoist_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:00 AM

Incubating takes anywhere from 15-30 days, sometimes longer;
difference between incubating @ 72 and 84 is negligable imo,
it has more to do with the fungus you're growing and its tendencies.

#5 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:01 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I have them at 84 now<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

80 is a better air temp to aim for,
it's hotter inside the jars/bags

#6 Guest_cheese_*

Guest_cheese_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

Thanks everybody, i have been at 82 consistently, and only like 12 hours after I posted that, mycellium showed up. Is it always that mycellium only grows from 1 or 2 of the injection sites? Or should it be coming from all 4 sides? Most only have 1-2 sides with mycelium growing, and I'm hoping it won't take so long to colonize that it gets overrun with bad things.

#7 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

Well, do you have jars or bags? If you have bags just wait another week and mix it up, if you have jars, just be patient. You mention that the mycelium is only growing from 1 or 2 of the injection sites, how many injection sites do you have? (I assume four, as is most common) How many cc did you use per injection site? Did you use spores or liquid culture? What kind of incubator do you have (pickle jar or double tub)? If you have the incubator with a pickle jar (or whatever) in it, just make sure to rotate the jars/bags every other day or so. Adversely, you could just let them sit and wait for the mycelium to colonize the substrate completely without any of this. Turning the jars/bags is just my way of killing time.

#8 Guest_cheese_*

Guest_cheese_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

Jars are what I'm pretending to do, i imagined 4 injection sites and about 3/4 cc per injection site. I would just say pickle jar incubator. In my imagination some have growth from all 4 sides now. Some still only 1 or 2. I have a vivid imagination.

#9 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

It's best to be patient, hell for some people any growth at all is good. In my place, the pickle jar (eg. small milk jug) is off to one side, while the bags I have going are getting about 80 degrees on the side facing the jar (jug, whatever) the opposite side is a few degrees cooler, which is why I rotate. The majority of the growth seems to come from the side that is facing the pickle jar (well it was before I started rotating). Of course this could all be my imagination it could just be that's where the spores/liquid culture chose to settle.

#10 Guest_pbeester_*

Guest_pbeester_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

less soln.=less spores=more time, If you need to stretch the spores use a little, if you want it to be faster, use more, but 2cc's is more than enough, so don't over do it and soak a cake. For grain I use 1-3ccs per quart. If they're only one or two inoc points it should be okay, just slower.

#11 Guest_mindspin420x_*

Guest_mindspin420x_*

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

How long do you believe the incubation time would be for a quart jar with 3cc or so? Temps are around 84 but vary a little... filled with wild bird seed.

(Message edited by cintex on February 10, 2005)

#12 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:38 PM

In my experiences, Rye starts showing signs around 5-7 days @ around 80°, popcorn I'm having a hell of a time with but average around 7 days and WBS/WBF I havent tried. Complete colonization could take 2-4 weeks to complete depending on strains, conditions, etc...

(Message edited by insight on February 10, 2005)

#13 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

I find the urge to look at them every day slows the process down. ;) Leave them alone for two weeks and come back and surprise yourself. You may want to check the temp once in a while, though.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!