- - - - -

Self Healing Injection Port Jar Lids W/ Waterproof bandaids

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160581387
Above..... Lid used for Liquid Innoculant ... the filter is placed on side of lid so when you tilt jar filter does not become saturated... These are waterproof bandaids though so they do repel water well and allow for breathability.. They are micropore bandaids as well..
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160581399
Above.... Lid type for grain jars... Or BRF/PF TEK JARS... notice again the micropore waterproof bandaid which by the way are fully reusable! I have reused them more then 4 times and they still stick well.... after i clean my jars i throw all my lids in the clothes dryer in a sock and dry the bandaids that get wet when washing/soaking lids... just an extra step i take to make sure the bandaids arent wet

A smaller non wide mouth quart lid show for example.

The underside of a lid.... both sides are siliconed.....

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160582257

A view of many different style lids

I DO NOT use tyvek anymore, many experiments I have tried have shown me that tyvek acts as a wick and holds too much moisture overall.... resulting in contams....

These lids have led to 100% success as show below...

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160582432

Now granted this dosent mean go run out and do what I do however I just wanted to show with a little effort what can be achieved using a little silicone. and some bandaids... Its far more convinient then tyvek.... and so far has led to 0% contams as to an 80% contam rate previous to ridding myself of tyvek and using thiese style lids....

I will also add that when doing LC"s these are especially helpful because you need to shake the jars and shaking the jars with tyvek isnt a smart idea your just begging for contams.... IMO

anyways I hope this helps someone

peace indi

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0308.jpg
  • pics.jpg
  • pics 021.jpg
  • pics 022.jpg
  • pics 020.jpg
  • pics 018.jpg
  • pics 019.jpg

#2 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

Nice work Indicaz...

#3 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

thanks

nothing original however I had to praise the method... this really has solved alot of problems for me

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

brand of bandaids ?

#5 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

Great work that's a great idea.

#6 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

i get a pack of 25 for a buck at my local dollar store.... The namebrand is ASSURED

heres a pic

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160591775

YAY no more tyvek !!!! or polyfill!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0314.jpg

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

btw
when you were using tyvek
were you using that postal paper crap
or real tyvek fabric like the kite-maker's stuff i use ?

#8 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

the United States Postal Service stuff.... as for the kite stuff wouldnt that absorb water as well?

I also have tried the "homewrap" stuff... And although it seems to repel water much better overall I have found tyvek to be more of a downside then a plus... Besides the fact that it provides almost no real gas exchange.... Proof of this would be to take a puff off a cigarette or other smoking device and wrap the top of a open jar with tyvek tightly...... and try to blow any of the smoke through the tyvek into the jar or reverse... where as you put a cone incense in the jar and wrap the top and see how much smoke will escape....

Just my opinions... Im just not a big fan of it... more problems then success

That does not mean that tyvek sucks... For ALOT of people it works just fine... However ever since i dropped tyvek and made my lids this way I have seen DRAMATIC increases as in faster colonization times, and a zero contamination rate... this alone was enough for me.... I dont even need to shake any of my grain jars anymore growth is doing so well. Also now without tyvek my liquid cultures dont leak when I shake or flip them on the side...

If you want I can send you a free box of these bandaids.... they are very neat! I have not seen them anywhere else as of yet so I bought the store out :)

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

kind of you, sure, i'll check some out.

#10 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

PM yer mailing addy and ill get that right off to ya

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

it's the same we always use here,
MYCOTOPIA
RR #1 BOX 107
AMSTERDAM MO
64723 USA

it'll get to me.

#12 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

cool, i probably could have found that on the site here :)

I also use them for gas exchange on my smaller shoebox sized tubs i use for casings I put 6 on the lid

#13 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

Pretty cool man. Simple and easy.

Damn 80% with tyvek ehh? You guys must not be friends :D

#14 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

tyvek just does not work for me.... not to say it dosent work for others..... I have no idea why it dosent .. however whenevr i use it things start to smell like feet

#15 Mycorama

Mycorama

Fungitarian

• Expired Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

the band-aids are ok to go into a pressure cooker?

when you use tyvek are you making big enough holes? i mean, is therre enough for a good amount of gas exchange?
cos the feet smell means its fermenting, i think. meaning you need to let it breath.
tyvek works good for me, i cover 2 fist size holes on each side of a rubbermaid and it works fine.

i thought about putting an airstone into a water-hydrogen peroxide mix inside my grow chamber, so there is a sort of pressure pushing air out of rubbermaid every 30 minutes or so. it would need checking pretty often to make sure humidity levels are ok...

#16 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

I wasnt talking about fruiting chambers :) ..... i was speaking of jars..

and yes the bandaids survive multiple pressure cooking times I also have tested them at 20 psi. for 1 hour...

im not sure if you notice in the above pics but they are sealed all around the gauze micropore as well as a layer of water prrofing over the actual micropore gauze

#17 Mycorama

Mycorama

Fungitarian

• Expired Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

oh my bad, i get lazy when i get stoned... i think that probably happens to a lot of people thouh huh... :smokin:

#18 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

ummm yeah im so guilty of that...!!!

lemme hit some of that!

#19 hydrocodone

hydrocodone

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:17 AM

Excellent idea man... I'm impressed :cool:

#20 profoak

profoak

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

hey this is my first post ever and i just want to say WOW. This is such a great method and i will DEFinetly be using it from now it. Hopefully I can finally get a liquid culture to work!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!