Fisana

- - - - -

Self Healing Injection Port Jar Lids W/ Waterproof bandaids

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

This has dramatically increased my success rate.

Im glad I was able to show something that can help so many others...

#22 gema

gema

XPLORER

• Expired Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

What do you use to add a self healing injection port? Nice pics!

#23 wtoad

wtoad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

A drill and some aquarium silicone or type I (not II) silicone should do the trick.

#24 JaR

JaR

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:00 AM

Very Nice!!
This is going to help me alot when doing LCs. I hate swirling LCs and having the tyvek get wet.

#25 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,854 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

i use a mix of postal tyvek and kite makers. the kite makers is too much like cloth for me and is hard to use as lids, i find. the postal is nice and rigid and keeps it's shape. so i put a single sheet of kite makers in between to two postal ones (which is about all you can use to screw on a band without super powers.). this works very well for me. :)

fahtster

#26 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

A drill and some aquarium silicone or type I (not II) silicone should do the trick.

DO NOT USE SILICONE I or AQUARIUM Silicone as suggested this is the wrong silicone... im not sure if this was a typo on wtoad's part however it will melt in the pressure cooker immediately or over time if i remember correctly...

RTV silicone sealant also works well... I suggest using clear though, i find it hard to find the hole when using the red silicone.

What I use is a Roofing nail, a phone book and a hammer to make the lids...... solid lid flat side down on a phone book... and the hammer and nail... i stretch the hole a little using the nail after the hole is made..

I use TYPE II GE SILICONE in the clear color.... it can withstand up to 400F and lasts a long time.... I only suggest using this and if you cant find it in your local hardware store which i think would be virtually impossible.. you can use RTV sealant from the auto parts store.

faht ster whats up ;) this is the anti tyvek thread my man :) we aint trying to hear about no tyvek up in this piece ! heheheh just messing with ya... thanks for the input, To me and many others this is so much simpler. No more cutting squares....wet tyvek in LC's..... No more leaky jar lids.... The list of things this improves upon is very long, im not sure if you have tried this yet, but i suggest you do, water content in jars is crucial... yes we need gas exchange, however how much is too much and how little is too little?

Some people report the use of tyvek causes dry jars that stall..... How much exchange does mycelium really need? Enough id assume to prevent the buildup of gaseous waste...... Good exchange I would also assume aids in a contam free environment however too much can dry that environment out...

Tyvek IMO although works fabulously for alot of people, for some ends up just being a nitemare, I have and granted over time experienced nothing but bad things on a grand scale from using tyvek... I wonder why... maybe it is because I dont use the kite material? I dont know... To each there own.

This to me has just become so much more of a good thing and the results far outweigh anything I have ever experienced before..

hope this helps someone

peace
indi

#27 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

anyone tried these with mycobags yet?

#28 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

Im sure it would work great, give it a shot and let me know

#29 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thank you, this just saved me a good bit of time and money.

#30 royer9864

royer9864

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:17 AM

yea i have been having a lot of contam with tyvek . i dont like it either.
i will be going to find some of those bandaids tonight or something = to them. then i will buy them all also.

thx for the great lid tek
great job

#31 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

thanks.... just make sure the bandaids you get are truely waterproof and seal on all sides and u should be ok...

#32 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

Pretty cool idea man.

Have you got one you have PCed a couple of times yet?

#33 mister

mister

Dragon Slayer/Savior

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:52 PM

"im not sure if you notice in the above pics but they are sealed all around the gauze micropore as well as a layer of water prrofing over the actual micropore gauze"

What are they sealed with? just clear packing tape? And, what do you use to make a layer of "water proofing" over the bandaid? thanks, mg

#34 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

Pretty cool idea man.

Have you got one you have PCed a couple of times yet?

good to see ya BB

yes , the one above with the rust on the bandaid has been pressure cooked and used a few times...

at 4 times usage the bandaids are still good i havent gotten much farther as of yet... I dont really keep track... i just do an inspection for breaks, tears or leaks I have yet to find any... ironically these bandaids dont hold up for shit when you actually use them for a cut
however they work outstanding for the jars...

I do not suggest using these bandaids for cuts folks lol... im serious these are prolly the worst thing to use for your injury, the dont hold very well on skin but hold superior on metals strange enuff... on skin they fall off within hours... yet last forever on my jars...

i have even tried at 20 psi for an hour and all was good

multiple runs with the bandaids as well as soaks for cleaning lids held up with the brand im using, after soaking lids i place in dryer to dry the lids/bandaids

as for how they are sealed the bandaids come that way, i dont cover them with any packing tape of any sort.... its a piece of micropore gauze underneath a layer of adhesive plastic...

it is an airtight seal other then the breathability of the micropore gauze. it is a watertight seal along all edges....

i am going to revise this a bit to encompass everyones questions in a more of a pictorial format..

peace indi

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

PM yer mailing addy and ill get that right off to ya

nothing yet, did you send or is it delayed ?

#36 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

not sure if you heard about the weather in my region lately...

surely delayed. I also have been a bit busy, ill take care of it this weekend :)

#37 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

You guys are real slick, but for LCs at least, I just use a single nailhole covered with tape, and a loose lid.

:nana:

heh, just being a smartass. Looks like a great tek, especially since the lids are reusable.

#38 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

Nice write up. The last time I tried bandaids they didn't breath well, if at all. But I used the 3" good bandaids from whatever brand that's well known. I'd bet the cheaper bandaids allow gas exchange better than the top notch ones do. I've still got freaking bandaid funk on my lids from that! Hehehe. What a mess.

Archive Material (lids-filters)

#39 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

Thank you sir

#40 Tweexican

Tweexican

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

I haven't been able to find any band aids that breathe enough through the micropore filter. I've been to my dollar general store and wal mart and all I seem to find are waterproof band aids that are pure waterproof sealant with a gauze underneath.

I don't really understand why this would pass as a band aid since they're supposed to breathe.

Anyone else having this problem?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!