• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 coinboy75

coinboy75

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

in a popcorn attempt using pints, everything seemed fine until, once out of the PC there appears in all jars a small accumulation of water. Not a lot but enough that when the jars are tilted to one side or another, a definite puddle appears. To much? Scrap it, drain it, freak out, start over? Any feedback will be appreciated.

#2 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

personally i'd throw some dry verm in the jars and re-pc them
LOST

#3 trippingtaco

trippingtaco

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

what kind of lids do you have?

if you've got polyfill/tyvek lids I woudn't worry about it as it would gradually dry up over time.

#4 coinboy75

coinboy75

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Regular two piece metal canning lids with polyfil filled hole atop. Nothing lost to a re-PCing?

#5 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

I've never had this problem with popcorn.
When I first tried popcorn I'd add a centermetre of dry verm to the bottom of the jar before PCing but have found this compleatly unnecessary and just messier.
When my grain is fully hydrated I drain.
For me with popcorn this is accomplished by throwing the corn into the center of a piece of material(I use a bedsheet), drape up the corners and just swing it vigorously in a circle thereby expelling the excess water and thats it as far the draining process goes.
With smaller grains I also have to let it sit and drain in addition to this technique (which speeds up things) but with popcorn this technique accomplishes the draining process in a few minutes.
Next one spreads out the corn on a table where there is a gentle breeze(I move the corn to a dry part of the bedsheet).
When the surface of the cernals are dry they are ready for PCing.
I've never had a problem with excess water doing popcorn this way and if I did have a slight excess I'd just leave that corn out on the table for an extra ten minutes etc.
Hope this helps.:D

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

adding a spoon of vermiculite, messy or not,
sure sounds faster and easier than
spinning a bag of wet popcorn around like a lasso, etc.
:lol:

#7 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:09 AM

I've never had this problem with popcorn.
When I first tried popcorn I'd add a centermetre of dry verm to the bottom of the jar before PCing but have found this compleatly unnecessary and just messier.
When my grain is fully hydrated I drain.
For me with popcorn this is accomplished by throwing the corn into the center of a piece of material(I use a bedsheet), drape up the corners and just swing it vigorously in a circle thereby expelling the excess water and thats it as far the draining process goes.
With smaller grains I also have to let it sit and drain in addition to this technique (which speeds up things) but with popcorn this technique accomplishes the draining process in a few minutes.
Next one spreads out the corn on a table where there is a gentle breeze(I move the corn to a dry part of the bedsheet).
When the surface of the cernals are dry they are ready for PCing.
I've never had a problem with excess water doing popcorn this way and if I did have a slight excess I'd just leave that corn out on the table for an extra ten minutes etc.
Hope this helps.:D

can use post this tek in a thread w/ plenty
of pics? :lol:

#8 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

Really,I'm an impatient bastard who hates waiting around forever waiting for shit to drain. Anything that speeds up the process is welcome even if it means chucking it in the washing machine on spin dry.
I usually just swing relatively small amounts rather than great big sacks of material.
Rather than swinging it horizontically like a lasso(terribly inefficient) you swing it vertically similar to bowlers in english cricket.Its suprisingly easy,no big deal and god one has to get some excercise.
Really I do like this better than the vermiculite.:D
Yep, and I enjoyed the excercise.:)
As for a pic you'll probably get a bigger trill if you check out the teknique yourself.Its queit fun.:)

#9 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

Besides visual appeal one pro in connection with less messy jars is that contamns are much easier to check for.:p

#10 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

Hell, if I was gonna swing it round like a lasso, I may as well do it atop one of those mechanical bulls.
Now that would be pic of the month.:lol:

Christ, if I'd found swingin a small bag around too much of a hassle, I'd have given up cultivation a long time ago, or not started at all.
Compared to the anxiety I feel following casing (been working with Pans), or that I feel working with more difficult aspects of agar work, swinging that bag around is shit easy. I like things easy especially if they work well.

Understand also that I use agar or G2G innoculation and I'll grant that verm addition may be beneficial if using liquid inocculation techniques. (this is something I haven't checked out)
I'll also admit my experiments with verm were done with the finer grade (whats more easily available to me) and maybe I would have liked the results better with a coarser grade.

Hip, I recon that if you typically use agar innoc, and if you give the method a fair trial and then compared it with the verm method, I wouldn't be suprised if you ended up opting for swingin.:headbang: :D
All in all I recon its a fine tek. ;) :lol:
  • HughMorrisLee likes this

#11 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

just shake it like crazy. cuz that'll fix that. it redistibutes the water throughout the jar. as long as you drained it well before you put it in the jars. i even dry mine off with paper towel prior to loading the jars. but no matter how well you drain/dry there will always be a little after you pc. ;) so, shake shake shake it... it took your mother nine months to make it.

fahtster
  • HughMorrisLee likes this

#12 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

another question I have recieved from a fellow topiate was how the hell do you get the water content in your popcorn so perfect...

Well actually its very simple so I thought id post a pictorial of how its done....

I will not post pics of how I soak or simmer my popcorn before hand only because if you cant figure out how to soak and simmer you need to stick with teh PF tek for now...

Ok so after you soak overnight in a 10% bleach/water solution, and then you drain the sour/sweet smelling water out, please do yourself a favor and RINSE THE POPCORN.... ok so after you rinse it throughly you then need to simmer it....

So take all the corn and put it in a big pot... make sure at minimum 2 inches of water covers the popcorn... the popcorn will expand somewhat....

Ok so now SIMMER... DONT BOIL.... just simmer for 40-45 minutes.... stirring frequently..... every so ften grab a kernal and squeeze it between yer fingernail.... with some force it should split in half fairly easily.... IT SHOULD NOT BE MUSHY!!!

once it splits nicely...... your corn is ready.....

DRAIN ALL THE WATER OUT OF THE POT WHEN HOT! this wayu moist of the starch goes with the water...

Now in smaller batches rinse your popcorn off very well... I tend to use hot water... as the cold water will cause hot kernals to split at times...

Ok so after you have rinsed your popcorn really well... PLEASE ALSO take the time to drain it very well.... this part is important however the next step will ensure your popcorn in dry

STEP 1 to drying popcorn

Get 1 clean bathtowel..... it dosent matter if its new just please use a clean and dry towel.... lay the popcorn in a pile in the center... like below

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160583187

STEP 2...

Now wrap the pile of popcorn on the towel up like below....
while holding all flaps of the towel vigourously rolld and rub the popcorn around in the wrapped up towel.... occassionally open the towel and flip the popcorn around.... bringing the bottom layer to the top and the top layer to the bottom... do this until the shiny wet corn becomes a bit more dull and ALOT less wet to the touch.... You want to try to get these kernals as dry as possible.... a good sign as to when they are getting close is the kernals will feel a bit stickier... and when squeezed between yer hands and yer hand is open a few kernals will stick to your hand while the rest will drop back down.
l
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160583187

STEP 3..

Now thjat you rolled the corn around in the towel..... open the towel back up..... and create a thin single layer of popcorn spread out across the towel..... and let it sit for perhaps an hour or so... in open air to even dry some more... make sure its spread out nice and even
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160583176

STEP 4... Load corn into jars no more then what is show below.... I do this so that if i need to give my jars a shake I have some room to work with .. If after you make jour jars up and load them you notice extra condensation or water buildup you have 2 choices.... leave the lids off the jars for a few hours before pressure cooking or you can unload all your jars and dry the popcorn more... However if you follow the above steps fully you should be AOK
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1160583176

I really hope this helps some people .... alot of people find popcorn one of the harder grains due to lots of wet spot contams..... with the water content being off you will surely experience contams...

Also I will add I let my jars sit for a day or 2 after I pressure cook to make sure the water content is correct... You also will notice after you pressure cook that your jars may seem wetter then before... Dont fret they didnt suck in any water most likely.... however the popcorn when hot will sweat any water it took in... back on out..... however if you let your jars sit for a day or two and give them a shake here and there before you innoculate the popcorn will soak up all the water it sweated out during sterilization...

Make sure your jars look good before you innoculate... popcorn is VERY picky about water content.

peace
indi

Attached Thumbnails

• pics 017.jpg
  • pics 023.jpg
  • pics 016.jpg
  • pics 015.jpg

#13 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

Nice pictorial Indicaz...I'm sure it'll help some peeps.....

#14 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

Thanks... i thought this could help some people... the other teks i read for preparing popcorn touch very little on how important the water content must be.... just a few cc's of extra water and surely things can and do go bad...

#15 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

nice work there, another way to dry them is to put then in a pillowcase then set it in the washing machine on spin cycle...works great and fast...and less handling

siam

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

Nice.

A couple spoonfulls of dry verm will also equalize the water content quite nicely.

#17 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

Very nice pictoral.

#18 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

Nice.

A couple spoonfulls of dry verm will also equalize the water content quite nicely.

a dab of extra verm helps popcorn stay crumbly too

#19 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:59 PM

Nice pictorial:thumbup:

#20 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

Thanks kind sir..... Im liking the responses this thread has generated... keep the ideas coming

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!