• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:26 PM

HI, i've been ghosting these boards for a while now, it seems as though in the archives and all around these forums that there has been so much good advice given that i wouldn't ever really need to post, however i finally have a question. Does anyone know either a good canadian website or toronto area store where i can find some hydrated lime? i've gone to many and phoned many, but most people don't seem to have any. same question for worm castings :)

Tainted

#2 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:18 PM

anyone?

I've been having some problems with my casings and i think it's due to the ph level (the fruits were only growing out of the sides and the tops contaminated). i have some newer jars of of rye that are just about done now and i would like to have something to buffer the p.h before hand. If anyone has any ideas where i could find some hydrated lime in the g.t.a area please let me know

Tainted.

#3 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

you might find pickling lime in the same place as canning jars and supplies. watch out for lime with high magnesium, as this is un-preferred

#4 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:24 PM

i've tried looking for pickling lime...tried canadian tire, same place that i picked up my jars, no luck...i've also tried 3-4 local grocery stores (they didn't have any idea what i was talking about) as well as a home depot. i'm starting to run out of ideas where to look... :(

#5 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

is ordereing fromn the internet an option for you?

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

HI, i've been ghosting these boards for a while now, it seems as though in the archives and all around these forums that there has been so much good advice given that i wouldn't ever really need to post, however i finally have a question. Does anyone know either a good canadian website or toronto area store where i can find some hydrated lime? i've gone to many and phoned many, but most people don't seem to have any. same question for worm castings :)

Tainted

Im in your general area and I actually went looking for hydrated lime today.I couldnt find it anywhere,But I was told that a Farm supply store would carry Hydrated lime and worm castings.I didnt personally check it out yet but I was refered to The company CO-OP.

#7 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

is ordereing fromn the internet an option for you?

it is, but i'd like to avoid it as much as possible because first of all shipping charges to canada can get quite expensive (especially when you add in boarder charges) and secondly i don't really have a credit card that i could use to order with

I was refered to The company CO-OP.

do you mean a company called "the company CO-OP"? because i thought that co-op was a type of buisness where you buy stock in their buisness and they'll let you purchase from them (like mountain equipment co-op or sam's club)

#8 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

There is a Co-op Farm supply but none I can find in Toronto or anywhere near us.

I did find this company.This is the closest I could find to us.

Country Depot
905-702-1833
13515 Hwy 7,
Georgetown, ON

#9 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

hmmmm... a good hour away from me, not really a viable option...somebody's gotta know where to get some around the toronto area. I did however find a place downtown that sells worm castings at a store called bustan. I might try to find some hydrated lime at the chinese market where i found some agar, but that's just a fleeting hope... :(

Btw, does anyone know of any other uses for this stuff, so that maybe i can start searching some hardware stores, etc...

Tainted

#10 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:21 PM

Ok this might help ya...try this link and type in your street name,city.This link will give ya the closest locations with maps.

http://yellowpages.c...=find&x=44&y=11

#11 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:20 AM

thanks....have you had any experience with any of these that you can comment on?

#12 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:18 AM

thanks....have you had any experience with any of these that you can comment on?

No experience yet,Im also lookin for hydrated lime for the first time.

#13 2lt.chronic

2lt.chronic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:30 AM

ahh good to see fellow Tdoters on here. I live just outside of toronto and I've seen worm castings around here at farm supply stores, but I doubt that will help you if you are in the city...

#14 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:34 AM

ahh good to see fellow Tdoters on here. I live just outside of toronto and I've seen worm castings around here at farm supply stores, but I doubt that will help you if you are in the city...

Im also just outside of the city.The burbs outside of Tdot are very nice.

#15 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:30 AM

same problem here, iv'e been to a couple of co-ops and both had shelves full of dolimite and high magnesium garden lime which i have been told by the pros not to use.
i've called many grocery stores about pickling lime "never heard of it" is the common response.

#16 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

if you could still tell me of the location i might be able to check it out as i'm gonna be going on a road trip out to london, if it's on the western side of ontario i could drop by

p.s reverend trip, nicer avatar, seems like trailer park boys just keeps getting more and more popular, much more than cult status now :D

#17 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:42 PM

Can we use Limestone instead???

#18 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:49 PM

not exactly sure...i would think that it could be a buffering agent, but it would probably work differently than hydrated lime...better get someone more experienced on this one...Hip?

#19 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:13 PM

GOOD NEWS!!!

I did find this company.This is the closest I could find to us.

Country Depot
905-702-1833
13515 Hwy 7,
Georgetown, ON

I just talked to the guy there and he HAS hydrated Lime comin in on Thursday.Its a big bag but low cost IMO (20 kilo bag $8.99 canadian dollars obviously).

He also has Oyster Shell rock (he says its the same as Oyster shell just in lil rocks,he says just crush it up). He HAS 25 kilo bag $9.05.

He has syringes also,Basically he says thier an old Co Op farm supply store.

Tai|\|ted if your headed to London,Goergetown isnt that far off your path and it'll probably be worth it for you considering these supplies are hard to find and you wont need to buy them again for awhile.

Attached Thumbnails

• woot.gif

#20 Tai|\|ted

Tai|\|ted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:19 PM

hmmm sounds good...i think georgetown is off of the 401, correct me if i'm wrong but maybe i could stop by and pick some up...did they mention if they have any worm castings/bagged cow dung compostings and or straw? maybe i can make this an all in one stop and i won't have to worry about supplies for a little while

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!