• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:37 PM

does anybody know what is the lowest temp that you can have your jars colonizing in before it breaches that line between stalling the jars growth, and myc death. the breaking point temp that myc can no longer withstand.

i know ideal temp is 80ish, and in the high 60s or low 70s will just make the jars take longer to finish. but im looking more-so for the temp that is just too low for myc survival.

#2 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

I was wondering something similar, Does freezing in the winter kill mycelium? Are all the shrooms come spring the result of spores, or does the network go to sleep and survive the winter?

#3 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

Just my curiosity, but how well do spores handle freezing? =]

#4 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

I've seen clumps of myc that have been frozen for a month recover and fruit (poorly)

#5 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

so do you think that freezing is the breaking point? but it takes a while for it to totally be killed off? if so then we have to figure out how long the timespan is from freezing to actual myc death. if this is correct than one month is enough to damage it, but not kill it off.

#6 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:19 PM

I have had a corn casing pin and actually form a good-sized abort in the fridge. Granted it took weeks. I'd guess the stall-out is between 30-35 degrees (but then it's just suspended - I've had frozen cakes come back and fruit fine); death is at 105-106. I don't know if there's a point where you kill fungus by it being too cold, though I'm sure there is, I just don't know what it is because it's probably really cold.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:15 AM

brief exposure to freezing temps won't kill everything
but prolonged freezing will.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!