• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 kashkalgar

kashkalgar

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

I originally thought my spores would arrive a few days ago, so I made up a big mess of substrate (BRF and verm) and filled 12 jars. I PC'd 7 of them, and before they were cool, learned that the spores would be delayed. So I delayed PCing the others. I take a look at them pefore PCing today, and lo and behold... cobweb mold. :P
Will PCing the molded jars kill off the mold and make the jars usefull again, or do I have to whip up some more substrate?
Also, is there a temperature beyond which BRF looses its nutritional value?

#2 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:02 PM

ok.......pcing will kill almost all molds and bacteria at 15 psi..........however if molds are growing especially any trich that is showing, i recommend remaking jars........i also recommend that all jars be pc'ed right after they are prepared, after pcing jars can last for a good amount of time however long periods will cause the moisture content to change and eventually cause problems

i have found that if you allow the weight on the PC to jiggle regularly at ****15.1 psi and up*****the BRF mix will change color for the darker, prob from being over cooked. Also when the wieght jiggles a lot the pc loses moisture/steam, and the jars may be losing moisture too. Now the weight jiggling a lot may not cause harm, or it may be harmful, but i prefer to PC at 15 psi exactly or around 14.8 psi........which is where the weight does not jiggle much and no moisture/steam escapes the pc, also it will keep the BRF smell out of your home and keeps your jars looking very happy and ready for innoculation.........

ps. i used to use just foil for the lids but i use waterproof johnson and johnson tape for the holes and then foil now..........if you do an analysis of both methods, you will see that the foil allows some residual moisture on the insides of the lids and the verm becomes a bit most without the tape.......with the tape it stays dry perfectly and keeps its ability to become a contam barrier........

with the foil, the dry verm layer becomes wet but will eventually dry out a bit but i think that problems could arise from this......you can tell if this is happening to you if when you birth jars, your dry verm layer is colonized.......so in short i recommend the tape.......

ill post a walk-through tonight to clear up some of the ?'s about the PF tek....

peace and good luck

#3 kashkalgar

kashkalgar

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:49 PM

Well... confession, I'm not 'tecnically' pressure cooking the jars. Im using some clamps on a large canning pot and setting the oven to 250. (The steam point of water at 15 psig, btw)
Anyway, when I took them out the white mold had turned a bit brown and the jars stank to high heaven.
I'll try them and post if they come out alright.

#4 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

well iguess my advice did say that the jars could be okay but i recommended you remake the 12 jars, i mean its only gonna take 15 minutes.......weird smells are definately bad signs and you probably were seeing bacteria growth not cobweb.......

also, i don't know how effective the stove and clamp-pot are..... one might assume your setup will probably be insufficient vs. the PC for killing what you wanted to kill (i.e. the visable bacteria growth)...but in any regard good luck

#5 kevinfergo

kevinfergo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:06 PM

before i got my pc i just used a pot of water with a towel at the bottom a picece of foil over the top to help tighten the lid and even a few pieces of tape to help hold the lid down. steamed them for 90 min and only got one bad jar out of 12. i didn't even noc em up for a week. i wanted to see if contams would show. worked out o.k. for me if you wanna give a try, if you have no pc.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:04 AM

Will PCing the molded jars kill off the mold and make the jars usefull again, or do I have to whip up some more substrate?

do not use the moldy jars,
make new.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:06 AM

Im using some clamps on a large canning pot and setting the oven to 250. (The steam point of water at 15 psig, btw)

not only is that quite dangerous
[no presure relief valve can = explosion]
but
un-necessary,
simple steaming is adequate for brf jars.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:07 AM

. So I delayed PCing the others. I take a look at them pefore PCing today, and lo and behold... cobweb mold. :P

once water is added to the mix,
you must sterilize or refridgerate
within just a few hours

#9 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

If you make new using a make shift method your successes are bound to be moderate. Believe me, I tried a shit load of ways, and a 921 All American has been my best investment, besides, you can cook in the pot as well.

#10 kashkalgar

kashkalgar

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:25 PM

Remaking all jars, thanks.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!