Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:48 PM

:lol: good one fingers

#22 robman1

robman1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

what camera did you take those shots with. Is a camera to take good pictures like that expensive?

Those are some really cool pics man.

#23 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

Not sure what Buckaroo is using, but Nikon Coolpix and both Canon Powershot are both good cameras. Both have nice macro features for closeup shots. The price depends on how many megapixels they have. A good camera is a worthwhile investment. Also, it's a good time to buy one, because the technology has plateaued and if you buy a good one, it'll last you for many years.

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 03:59 PM.
removed bad links

#24 robman1

robman1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Wow there are 17 coolpix models and even more powershot....

Wish I knew what I was doing. What is a good price to look for to get what bonzai is doing, or stuff like that. Maybe I should start a new thread?

Kinda feel like a hijacking is about to take place.

#25 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

Nice pics Buckaroo. More..more.

#26 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

My camera is a Cannon PowerShot A620. You could go MUCH lower on their scale than that one, though, and still get very nice pics.

If you want to do good macro (closeup) stuff, the most important thing to look at is the minimum focal distance. Some cameras will only focus from 2 feet to infinity. Some focus from 2cm to infinity. The 2cm dude will do beautiful macros and is the dude you are looking for.

If you want really fine details, the number of megapixels is important. A 2 megapixel camera won't capture anywhere near the detail that a 7.2 megapixel camera will. The 14 megapixel professional cameras capture finer detail than film (but you'll likely pay 2 grand, or more, for a 14 megapixel SLR equivalent).

And it would be impossible for you to 'jack this thread, as the first post was really all I had to say!

#27 robman1

robman1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

ha well that's cool then

I was looking at the powerpix models because it seems they are more open with telling me a price.

So basically what I should look for is a 7 Megapixel camera that can focus up small? I guess the 200-300 dollar range should suffice then?

#28 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

It should more than suffice.

One thing to bear in mind: a big zoom factor (not digital, but optical zoom) will eat up a LOT of that $300.

If you buy a camera with a 15x optical zoom, at LEAST $100 of your purchase price will be on the optics. If you want 15x zoom, buy an SLR body you can add lenses to. A 20x SLR zoom lens will cost you far less than a 15x zoom lens built into a unibody camera.

Suggestion: DON'T buy the camera you decide upon from a camera shop. Go to the camera shop to look at the model you want in person, then buy it on-line. You can easily save 30%-50% by purchasing your camera from a "non brick and morter" business.

I have, personally, had great results from broadwayvideo.com

You might also consider taking a look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ Lots of good reviews and "street prices" on that site (and others).

#29 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

Stage one of pin formation is the formation of hyphal knots. This happens 7-12 days after the mycelia is introduced to fruiting conditions. Pictured are hyphal knots (the dots) just beginning to differentiate from the fluffy mycleia of a PF Tek cake.
knots just differentiating.jpg

Over the next 12 (or so) hours, hyphal knots become more distinct and raised from the mycelia. Pictured are hyphal knots and primordia on a PF Tek cake.
knots and primordia on a cake.jpg

Next, the knots differentiate again, forming a dark tip and becoming primordia (about 12 more hours). Pictured are primordia on a bulk substrate.
primordia just differentiating 1.jpg

Primordia and knots on a PF Tek cake.
knots and primordia on a cake.jpg

More knots and just barely differentiated primordia on a PF Tek cake.
primordia just differentiating 2.jpg

Now the primorida begin to grow and become pins. Pictured are primordia/pins on bulk substrate.
pins @ about 12 hours 2.jpg

Primordia/pins on a PF Tek cake.
pins @ about 12 hours.jpg

And then about 12-24 hours later, pins become simply baby mushrooms. Pictured is a baby “fat ass” on a PF Tek cake.
lil fat'ass.jpg

Mushrooms are very pretty!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• primordia just differentiating 3.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#30 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

Nice Pic's

#31 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

excellent post bucky......

im sure this will help clear up things for a lot of beginers........

"archive material to vaults"---Spores [Microscopy & Shroom Biology]

(mod note - not yet copied to vaults)

#32 farmerjohncc

farmerjohncc

Myco-conspirator

• Expired Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

kudos on the pics...i have my first jar in the fuiting chamber (3rd day)...either the mycelia doesn't look quite as fluffy or you have a kick-ass camera..or both! Thanks for the time-line that's very helpful.

#33 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Thank you, sir.

I also hope these pics help folks to know what to look for/what to expect. "What next" anxiety is so common and so unpleasant in this hobby!

It was most educational, looking at my little friends with the magnifying glass/loupe and snapping pics as I prepared this. When I decided to prepare this essay, it was easy to predict when/where to snap the pics.

One of the coolest things was trying to capture those first knot pics on a cake. I have watched enough of them now, I just knew where the knots would be and then...24 hours later...there they were!!!

I would suggest that anybody who wants to really grasp these guys just watch them closely and take pictures (or notes, or both) on their daily development. It really is most amazing to watch them go through the different stages of existence. You can learn so much just watching them grow...

And they grow up so fast!!!

Oh, and after they grow up and you are done taking notes and feeling scientific, eating them feels pretty good too!

#34 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

Those are are excellent macro shots Buck!

A unique post too, thanks! :bow:

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

a few more relevant pictures
from the old archives

Attached Thumbnails

• 4363.jpg
  • 118272.jpg
  • 118034.jpg
  • 118031.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 04:03 PM.
removed bad link

#36 eu_por_exemplo

eu_por_exemplo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

Very nice!
:cool:

#37 RalphBlue&Purple06

RalphBlue&Purple06

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

:kewl: Very cool mr. banzai, had always tried to find something like this in the archives when i was a noob..

:hippie:

#38 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:15 PM

Awesome pics Buckaroo, nice close ups. I need a cam like that.

#39 Outer

Outer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the info, very nice pics.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!