Fisana

- - - - -

Using old syringe for karo teks...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cheese_*

Guest_cheese_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:26 PM

A syringe that was used had B+ in it, could a person use the same syringe when doing the karo/honey tek? Would there need to be any sterilization process with it?

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:32 PM

Wrap it up in aluminum foil and pressure cook it for 20 minutes @ 15psi. You want the regulator to barely move, and use a stand off plate.

#3 sparky

sparky

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

Or do yo mean there is still some b+ in it that is old and you want to use it to inocc some karo?

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:03 PM

Always pc your syringes before use.

#5 Guest_cheese_*

Guest_cheese_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

Well both, I do have B+ left, but I understood what looper meant. I was asking if I could re-use a syringe, as in suck up the mycelial tissue from the karo solution.

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

Sure! You can reuse a syringe for anything you want associated with this hobby, but it needs to be pressure cooked everytime like i said above before use. I've got some syringes that i still use that i got from PF.

#7 sparky

sparky

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

ok, ya,

hehe
start more karo's with what ya have left
then clean it & pc it
then reuse it
voila---do both

Posted Image

#8 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

Here in Buenas Noches, the syringes have never been PC'd just boiled for 20 minutes then boiling water sucked and squirted several times prior to making spore syringes or karo tek with no contam problems. May just be luck. Put one in PC with grain and rubber disintegrated during 90 minute PC. Dolt!

#9 sparky

sparky

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

20 min to half hour works for me, they dont deteriorate,,,,,much lol
but new ones are easy to get here in these parts

#10 electro

electro

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:07 PM

I have pc mine for 45 to 50 min. 15psi then used drew boiling water into them once before use with no real contam problems

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:35 PM

20 minutes @ 15psi, wrapped in aluminum foil is plenty.

#12 aldous

aldous

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

Syringes that have only ever contained spore water can be sterilized using boiling water. Just fill, let sit for a few minutes, purge water anywhere other than the pot of boiling water, repeat 2 or 3 times. Leave the water in the syringe after the 3rd or 4th pull and liberally cover in lysol, iso, etc. I always use distilled water for this process and recommend that you do the same.

Used Karo/dextrose/honey syringes are a different story. They have been filled with nutrients and nutrients allow shit to grow. I have had mixed results with the above procedure for these syringes. I always PC them for 20min at 15psi, wrapped in aluminum foil, same as Looper. I usually make some fresh Karo water at the same time just because they require the same cook time and psi. Make sure to fill 'em with distilled water first!

Looper, by the way, I apologize for arguing with you last month about the effectiveness of a posi press GB (although mine is perfect Posted Image). I had a bad day to finish a bad week. Sorry for being a dick.

Peace,
Al

#13 aldous

aldous

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

...And when are you gonna get yourself an avatar?

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:56 PM

No worries brotha. I have similar shitty days. Where did you get your Avatar?

#15 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

I re-use the same syringe over and over and I don't have a pc.

If you don't have a pc, suck up some rubbing alcohol until the syringe is full and let it sit for a sec and spray it back out.

Then boil some water, and draw up water from the pot as it is boiling. Then spray the hot water back out into the sink. Repeat this step 3 or 4 times.

I'm sure a pc would be safer, but I haven't had any contamination issues with this method.

#16 aldous

aldous

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:38 AM

I googled images for the movie, Altered States. Great movie... Something that every Mycotopian should see at least once. My Avatar is the lead character, played by John Hurt in a sensory deprivation chamber.

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:01 PM

LOL! I thought Avatar was a brand of flow hood! DUH!Posted Image

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!