• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sugnuf77

sugnuf77

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

I have one of those Food Saver machines that sucks the air out and seals the bag..Im having a problem with it.

I fan my fruits for a few days then put them in a air tight tupperware ..an inch of the desicant for another few days. There rock hard.

Then I seal them up in the food saver... I opened one or two up after a few weeks and noticed that there not as dry as they should be.

I know the seal was fine.. So my guess is that its not possible to have them so dry to 0 % humidity where that when I seal them they will stay that dry.

The questions are

Will 1 or 2 of those little dessicant packs (5gram) be enough to keep the fruits dry enough for long term storage?

How long can they stay in the foodsave bag? A year?

They were still a little crispy but not rock hard...there still good correct? they dont rot if just a little moist for a few weeks?

And finally.. how long does the fruit start to loose potencey if just keept in a ziplock bag

thanks so much

#2 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

i put one silica gel packet in bags with crackerdry fruits for long term storage.

#3 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

if its a professional sealer i dont think any moisture is getting into the bag. so if that is true, the moisture must be present before sealing.
looking over your procedure i dont see any flaws in how your doing it. fan drying and then a dessicant chamber is really the way to go. unless you have large fruits that feel dry on the outside but still have a slight moisture content in the very middle. if thats so, just rip the stems in half and dry as usual.

if you dont have silica packs, just take some damprid (or whatever your dessicant is called), wrap it in a paper towel (a lil ball, size of a jawbreaker or whatever size is needed for whatever size bag your using) and toss it inside the bag with the mushies.
good luck :)

#4 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:07 AM

I've found some of the foodsaver bags just don't hold a vacuum. It isn't the seal because I double and triple seal the edges and still some let air in.
I recommend the wide mouth jar attachment for the foodsaver. You can vacuum pack and store all your stuff in wide mouth pint or quart glass jars with this attachment.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!