19 replies to this topic

#1 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

This is a hybrid method of smegs bucket soak tek and the "another wbs method" no soak tek that is intended for making filter patch bags instead of jars.

I use a 5 gal bucket to soak the WBS with hot tap water for about 1-2 hours. Timing here is not crucial but dont let it soak for more than 3 hours. After this quick soak, we use a bucket lid with lots of holes drilled throughout and a peice of window screen mesh to strain the bucket by turning upside down. Make sure the lid is on good. I use a hammer to secure the lid.

After dumping the soak water out, fill the bucket back up with water and repeat until the water that comes out is relatively clear. Usually takes about 4-5 rinses. After it comes out clear, leave the bucket upside down for a good hour.

OK now your WBS is good and ready to be bagged. We use 12 level cups of the quick soaked wbs to each filter patch bag. Then we add 1.75 level cups of water to the bag. Give the bag a good jigglin' to get it nice and level and pretty.

Straighten out the sides, and fold them in and push all the air out of the bag. Use a peice of PROFESSIONAL QUALITY masking tape to seal the bag up with all the air pushed out. You may need 2 peices of tape to get a good even seal on the bag.

Roll the top of the bag up to where the patch is protected on the inside. You can clip if you like but I dont.

Make sure that your protect the sides of the pc from touching the bags especialy on the lower level and bottom of the pc where it gets hotter. I use a few dishrags here. It is also a good idea to seperate the bags with rings from qt jars that you will never use again! This allows a little more passage of the pressure and whatnot.

Add proper ammount of water to the PC, add your bags and PC for 2hrs @ 15psi. You MUST mix the bags thoroughly before they cool or they will clump and gum up and fail miserably. What we do is hang the bags from the tops off a shelf or something. This reinflates tha bag and allows for easy mixing

Innoculate via any method of your choice. I like g2g and LC innoculations personaly.

You will find this tek to be hard to mess up. Give it a try! Lots of pics below.

Attached Thumbnails

• BigBagsnew 036.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 035.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 033.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 034.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 031.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 032.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 030.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 026.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 029.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 024.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 023.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 021.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 019.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 020.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 016.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 014.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 013.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 011.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 012.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 010.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 009.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 008.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 007.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 006.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 005.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 004.jpg
  • BigBagsnew 001.jpg

• wharfrat likes this

#2 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:20 PM

Nice writeup and great pics! :thumbup: :kewl: Thanks!

#3 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

Here we have some results

Attached Thumbnails

• BigBags 034.jpg
  • BigBags 217.jpg

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

Nice write up! Do you inoculate througha port or do you open the bags completel? I know you ppen them to do g2g. Do you use a gb?

#5 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

I dont got all high tek with a flowhood, but a glovebox would be fine. I wipe the bag with alcohol and then inject through the bag and retape with clear scotch tape.. Or you could get the bags with a self healing injector port but they are a little higher.

Attached Thumbnails

• BigBags 058.jpg
  • BigBags 059.jpg

#6 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

So the extent of your sealing is the masking tape? Done prior to PCing? And these are standard inexpensive bags like available at sporeworks?

#7 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Yes I seal with professional quality masking tape before PCing. These bags are the large filter patch bags from sporeworks.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

nice tek
:bow:

#9 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thanks hip. The more pics for people to look at the better. i personaly thought the amount of info currently in the archives about bag preperation was a little bit lacking in variables. The quick soak works super. I am getting 100% success with this method. Only contams that come up are from mistakes related to innoculation.

#10 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:19 PM

Okay, neat! So how does the gas get out? I mean, what would be the difference btwn your way and sealing using an impulse sealer or food saver? Don't most teks say to wait to seal your bags until after cooking? I know Bluehelix does as well as Workman and others. Also, Sporeworks sells a specific "presealable" bag. So whats going on in this (apparently completely awesome) tek that allows you to seal them with tape prior to cooking?

Also, have you tried mixing some bulk in with your wbs? A 50/50 mix works wonders for preventing the caking/clumping, keeping moisture, having texture and creating an awesome fruit.

#11 Guest_Water_*

Guest_Water_*

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Beautiful. Exaxctly the information I've been looking for to do my own bags.

Thanks for all the help.

#12 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

The gas escapes through the filter patch. They are the presealable bags from sporeworks. If your bags are not presealable then you will need to roll and pin the bag while pcing then you could tape it/impulse seeal it after. I would just get the presealable ones. its easy~!

#13 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

Ahhh, okay. That would be one of the important details of this tek!

#14 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:53 AM

Nice sandbag! I was looking at those pre-sealable bags. They look nice. Great writeup by the way.

#15 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:32 AM

Nice for a making a large quantity of spawn. Whats your average time to 100% colonization with those sandman?

#16 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

Colonization time (pedestrian) are about 8-12 days with LC and 6-10 with G2G. I havent started them from multispore but I would guess about 14-20 days multispore.

#17 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

is this worthy of remembering forever?

#18 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

could one wrap the whole bag in a towel in the PC to protect sides & bottom? or would wrapping in a towel cause it not to be properly sterilized?

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

the off-topic posts have been removed
to a separate thread
and irrelevant comments edited out as well.
:)

#20 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

could one wrap the whole bag in a towel in the PC to protect sides & bottom? or would wrapping in a towel cause it not to be properly sterilized?
<!-- / message -->

can i quote myself? i think your great pics say it all. they were not all up the first time i viewed this thread--now its perfectly clear.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!