16 replies to this topic

#1 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

OK i dont think ive done a good thorough write up of my big invitro bags. So here I will try and do a good job of explaining just what the hell is going on with these wacky things. Its not realy anything new, but it is in a way kinda unique. And its a damn fine way to grow some booms!

The idea here is that we simulate a self sufficient dub tub design in a bag. I am using the 24x10x36 4mil gusseted poly bags to do this. They are available from many sources like shipping supply companies so look arround localy first then on the web if you cant find em localy cause they are heavy to ship.

We add some pastuerized substrate to the bag and some colonized spawn and a few polyfil patches and call it a day. Sorta.

Start with your substrate. I prefer a cow poop/coir substrate. I take a pillowcase, toss in 1 brick of coir and soak it in a bucket of hot water in the pillowcase for 30 minutes. Then pull it out of the water and add a similar ammount of crushed up pastuer poop or bagged manure. Bagged manure isnt FULLY tested but it is doing fine and I dont see a problem with it working out. My bagged manure test bags are colonizing just as well as the pastuer ones have in the past at 3 days so far and counting

After you have a aproxamate 50/50 mix in the pillowcase it has come time to pastuerize it. Submerge in 140-165 degree heated water for 1.5 hours. Hang pillowcase and allow to drip/cool for several hours. After about 6-8 hours it should be thoroughly drained and you can throw the pillowcase in a garbage sack and keep in your lab for a few days before use if convenient. As long as its cool you can use it. This is enough for 2 big bags.

Take your shitty pillowcase and dump it in 1 big bag. Mix it all up real good like for a wile. Make sure you break all the coir and doodoo up and mix together. Pour half the bag into another big bag. Add 2 qts spawn crushed up per bag I use filter patch bags which = 6 qts so each filter bag makes 3 big bags. Mix the shit out of the bags and spawn together. Plop it all arround. Mix for at least a full minute.

Roll up the top of the bag a few rolls and clip it in a few spots. use an exacto to cut plus signs + at about 1-2" above sub level 2 on each long side, one one each end and one up about 10" in the middle of one long side. Cut the plus signs about 3/4" overall otherwise you will have too much polyfil contact with shrooms. Stuff plus signs with polyfil somewaht loosely.

Put the bags on a shelf that allows you to clip the tops of the bags up to support some of the weight. This makes the shape of the bag better and allows more airspace. Cover the shelves with black plastic for 6-7 days.

After 6-7 days they should be fully colonized or close to it. Rip off black plastic, stack a nice sized oscilating fan pointing at shelf and turn lights on. Chillax for about 7 days and you will have pins.

Chillax for another 7 days and you got harvest.

Spray it with h202 water and go for flush 2 and unward. Will go 2 flushes with no spray too.

No misting ever is required. No fanning or maintanance ever required. Just the oscilating fan, some light thats it. Keep temps 70-80. Have fun! Expected output is more than you would even believe so i wont get into that. Test it out!

Please dont drag this one off topic I want it to be easy toread as a tek or whatev.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0561.jpg
  • BigBags 209.jpg
  • BigBags 207.jpg
  • BigBags 193.jpg
  • BigBags 205.jpg
  • BigBags 203.jpg
  • BigBags 147.jpg
  • BigBags 148.jpg
  • BigBags 146.jpg
  • BigBags 114.jpg
  • BigBags 130.jpg
  • BigBags 115.jpg
  • BigBags 030.jpg
  • BigBags 031.jpg
  • BigBags 029.jpg
  • BigBags 023.jpg
  • BigBags 027.jpg
  • BigBags 012.jpg
  • BigBags 005.jpg
  • BigBags 010.jpg
  • BigBags 124.jpg
  • BigBags 227.jpg
  • BigBags 228.jpg
  • BigBags 223.jpg
  • BigBags 221.jpg
  • BigBags 222.jpg
  • BigBags 220.jpg
  • BigBags 217.jpg
  • BigBags 218.jpg
  • BigBags 216.jpg

• MLBjammer, DarkLestor, Mr. Natural and 5 others like this

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Glad you consolidated this great idea ...
I was picturing a bunch of these bags hanging from coat-hangers in my closet...heh....Nice...

#3 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

If you wanted to hang them from coat hangers or something I would recomend getting a smaller size bag. They are fairly heavy in 24x10x36 form Im not sure the exact weight but it would surely break a coat hanger. Maybe a 18x8x24 would be perfect for hanging.

One thing is for sure, they put out shrooms.

#4 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Bump

Cant let this one die so young!
  • AbnormalMortaL likes this

#5 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

This is my 4th viewing of this post cuz it is a great idea...My FoaF is going to the California for a couple of weeks to see some family and goto the Zone Ball in Sacramento on 10-26. My FoaF thinks that he may try something very, very similiar when he returns. He said he is gonna innoc a bunch of jars before he goes.

Great Job Sandman!

#6 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

are you crazy die young????

I got my bags and poly tubing today...

Im gonna post pics here.... do ya mind sandman?

peace
indi

#7 Guest_CherryFive_*

Guest_CherryFive_*

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

Nice, nice, very nice.
  • Roasty McToasty likes this

#8 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

:bow: Archive material to invitro teks. :)

#9 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:26 PM

Yes ,,Good call 8...
You can also find some large clear bags at grocery n' hardware stores that are used for disposal of Autumn leaves...
If you tie a knot in each corner at the bottom , it creates a gusset type effect , allowing for more even substrate distribution...

#10 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

Nice! I'mgoing to try this soon!

#11 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

Has anyone tried pressure cooking these bags?

#12 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

these bags are merely for fruiting in. They are not intended for pcing nor do they require pcing. If you want to do grain in bags use the real filter patch bags.

Good tip on the regular bags with knots. I truely feel that it is the increased airspace above the substrate that is what makes these bags perform so well. Without gussets a bag doesnt tend to hold a good shape and allow for alot of airspace. The knots may work good to give it that shape though.

Here are some pics of the testing phase of coming up with this. These are regular thin little trash bags with a single polyfil plug at the top. The strain was KSSS and I dont think that they prefer bags as much. It did work to some extent though!

Indicaz please do post on this thread your results as well as anyone else that wants to give it a try.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
  • Aur likes this

#13 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

oops some pics would help.

Attached Thumbnails

• BigBags 163.jpg
  • BigBags 170.jpg

#14 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

Very nice man. I love simple stuff like that.

All the air space makes for prettier shrooms, too. They get all gnarly pressing against the plastic.

#15 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a finished sub with grains or whatever in it (think waylits pan cyan tek). A veritable one shot deal. Fill, cook, shoot and fruit. The polyfill or whatever could be exchanged with something more workable in a cooker. hmm, perhaps something like:

[bad link]

What makes you think they won't work? Just a guess or knowledge about the material or experience or..... If I can find some I may play with this. Awesome idea, btw.

Edited by Sidestreet, 24 September 2016 - 04:23 PM.
removed bad link

#16 sandman

sandman

Has No Chill

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

I think that 4 mil would survive the PC in that case. Probably easier to pc the substrate seperately in smaller filter patch bags then transfer it to the larger bag but that gets away from your "one-step idea" a little.

#17 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

Glad you posted this sandman.

Thats what I call banging for the buck.:thumbup:

Edited by Sidestreet, 24 September 2016 - 04:23 PM.
removed broken link

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!