Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:31 AM

I am going to mix some strains.

Probably using clones.

Method:

A. Prep
1. Choose shrooms from 2 or 3 strains with distinct charachteristics. Photograph and make clone inoculant from stem tissue.

B. Experimental conditions

1. Inoculate 6 jars using only a singe strain. 3 jars will be used in condition 4, while 3 will be used as control.

2. Inculate 3 jars with two strains in EACH inoculation point.

3. Inoculate 3 jars with two strains, one in each OPPOSING set of inoculation points.

4. Combine 2 jars, each containing a different strain (from 1), and case. (or inoculate straw, etc.)

C. Equipment
I am leaning towards crumbling each cake into a square container and casing with vermiculite. This helps create identical conditions and maximizes the use of space in my tank.

D. Strains?

I dont know what to do here. I have a smartshop strain, equador, and transki. I am growing out the EQ and TR now, but dont yet know if they have distinctive appearance.

Another simple experiment would be to do something similar with two clones taken from the same strain. Would the resultant shrooms be different than the clones?

E. Goal
My goal is not to create a new strain or prove if it can be done. Instead, I want to create photographic documentation of what happens when you do this. There seems to be MUCH speculation and many assertations, but little evidence.

Thoughts on strain, standardized methods, others who want to join, or competition suggestions are welcome.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:47 AM

all the evidence indicates that
multiple strains mix and fruit just fine.
if injected in opposite quardrants
they will each sector out an area.
if actually intermixed a dominant substrain will soon emerge.

#3 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

makes sense. Also its silly to do seperate inoculation points and then crumble the cake, as in B3.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:27 AM

I want to create photographic documentation of what happens when you do this

still
such evidence would be helpful
in showing others

#5 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:44 AM

I accidentally mixed a B+ BRF cake and a Texas BRF cake in a casing. They were thoroughly mixed together.

The B+ fruited first, and then when I picked the mature B+ fruits I could see lots of TX pins underneath. A few days later the TX were mature but the casing caught a bad case of the mean green.

I'm wondering if a casing of mixed strains would have a harder time fighting off contamination? It might have been a coincidence but that was the first time I've ever gotten a contamination on a casing before the 3rd or 4th flush.

I gave the casing a bleach dunk and its fruiting again just as before. I just picked a few monster B+ shrooms off of it today and there's a bunch of pins now that look like TX.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

The B+ fruited first, and then when I picked the mature B+ fruits I could see lots of TX pins underneath. A few days later the TX were mature but the casing caught a bad case of the mean green.

I'm wondering if a casing of mixed strains would have a harder time fighting off contamination? It might have been a coincidence but that was the first time I've ever gotten a contamination on a casing before the 3rd or 4th flush.

far too little data to draw such a conclusion.
the passage of time alone could explain
the eventual appearance of mold.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!