• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

I have a couple uv lights. One is a 40 watt water uv sterilizer.
http://www.petstore....ts-vendor-.html
this unit.
The other is a square house unit rated at 4watts with 2 bulbs and 254nm.
They essentially are the same...correct? Except for strength.
If this is so, Can I top mount the square unit to a box with a window and sterilize my stuff before working to reduce contaminates?

#2 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:53 AM

http://en.wikipedia....dal_Irradiation

Check this out. Aparently 254nm is the frequency used in killing organisms. Maybe use the light as a prefilter for a laminar flow hood.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

see http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=10707

we know that UV & sunlight are effective,
the link above extolls the virtues of red light
in killing molds.

#4 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

we have uv lights in our glovebox, usually we put all the needed tools in the gb then have the lights turned on for 15-30 minutes to kill nasties, then we turn it off and introduce the cultures, however you still have to flame and alcho wipe.

siam

#5 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

other mold isn't the problem...it's bacteria. I get alot of blobby growth that turns to slime on my dishes. From what i've read, this light will kill bacteria, viruses, and fungii...with fungii being the least damaged. I may give this a shot. Now...I know that UV-C light is very damaging to skin, eyes, and plastics. What can I use to build a box out of so it doesn't disintigrate? I was thinking a wooden box with a plexi/lexan front. Prime the whole thing in titanium white semigloss.

Siam, would it be possible to post a picture of your uv glovebox?

#6 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

Another question that I have. If fungii are the least effected by the light, would exposing an infected culture to the uv light for a short amount of time clean it up?

#7 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

prob not, since some contams are deep down where the uv have the most effect on surface. i do have pics of uv flow hood from the thai agriculture dept...the uv is located behind the floro. the glovebox is basically the same but with a covered front with two holes to put your arms in.
very easy and primative but works.
siam

Attached Thumbnails

• uvflowhood2.jpg
  • uvflowhood1.jpg

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

seems that the red light advocated by SLP would be harmless enough, worth trying, imo.

#9 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

so siam, you have no fans or anything...it's just the box with holes in it to put your arms. You use the light then alcohol/flame to reduce contams? Very cool. I"m going to give this a shot. Glad I asked. What strength is your uv?

#10 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:19 PM

we use 13 watt 253.7 nm .... if you want serious work go with the uv-c, what i have is just a glovebox no air movements and i have done many clean work not even using the uv, just flame and clean with a lighter,,

siam

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

also see http://archives.myco...show.cgi?5/5362

sez UV is best for bacteria

#12 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

both the lights i have are uv-c germicidal lights. One has 2x15watt 254nm bulbs and a 254nm filter. The water filter i have is like 36" long and the other is about a foot long.

So...it not effecting fungii....Would I be able to use this light to clean up samples/specimens? If i have a petri that starts to germinate and expose it to the light will it kill off competing bacteria and viruses?

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:04 PM

not going to make promises eh, try it and you tell us.
the primary limit would seem to be penetration,
opaque substances might shield bacteria from the germicidal light.

#14 Cheshire_Kat

Cheshire_Kat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

petri's are pretty clear....maybe use glass?
Or...still air and uncover...expose...cover....
I'm going to try this out...see how it works. I'll post any experiments i may have. Maybe make a petri up of some mea...and put a fingerprint in the middle....let my germy print germinate...then expose it. On another dish, put some spores with no exposure to my finger...and another with spores and a print. Expose them all and see what happens....like i said...i'll post if i try this.

#15 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:37 AM

uv-c will kill alot of nasties...they use those in eggs packing production lines. let us know how it works

siam

#16 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to start a thread about handheld uv sterilizers. From doing reading on different types, they kill spores even hard shelled spore producing illnesses like hep B and hep C. They work on batteries and hospitals have used them for years.

They appear to range in price from 70bux and up up and way up.

I was thinking maybe people could use this on work areas for sterility, needle tips before injections, heck, why not even agar after its cooked.

What about a casing that has a corner of trich, could be possible to zap the area and kill everything there, the food source that exists there if any at all would still be usable. And if not, at least the infection wouldnt spread.

just some thoughts.

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

I've never seen a handheld type. I have one mounted in my air duct downstream of the AC cooling coil, which has worked great for me. That's an interesting idea about locally zapping spots of contamintion, though the UV won't penetrate into the substrate or casing, so the contaminant will likely re-emerge quickly if it's growing at all below the surface.

Seems to me that a handheld would increase the risk of exposure to the UV, which can cause cataracts or blindness if it hits your eyes and increases skin cancer risk. People who want to get into using UV should make sure they do some research and understand its proper use, as it is a powerful technology with some potential hazards.

#18 cosmicaug

cosmicaug

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

I was thinking maybe people could use this on work areas for sterility, needle tips before injections,

Is a flame not both easier to use and more effective.

#19 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

I dont know hence the thread
no heat
no flame
just hold over area and its sterile in 15 seconds
no chance of fire.
is it more cost effective than a lighter
nope
but is it possible that it has its uses, maybe. figured id make a thread and try to see what others thought. :)

#20 nrthlndr27

nrthlndr27

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

You can buy 18 inch G15T8 bulbs on Ebay for about $12 + shipping. You can buy a 18 inch T8 Fixture at home depot for $5 and swap bulbs. < $20 investment and alot more radiation which can be good and alot more risk of radiation exposure which can be very bad...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!