• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 stonesofthegodz

stonesofthegodz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:34 PM

as far as radiation exposure goes, these units im assuming are housed and safeguarded against such risks except for the direction the ray is held at.
I didnt want to post a link to them since i dont want to advertise for any brand inparticular
but it said to use it properly it has to be 1/4 inch - 4 inches away from the light area.

a google search shows a few options
you guys may be right and it may not work at all
just figured id post the idea and let the chips fall where they may

#22 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

what about UV air sterilizers? are they effective enough to sterilize air in a work area? i saw one at home depot that looked like it blew sterile air out the top. i was wondering if it could be piped into a plastic box open on one end to create positive pressure. like a flowhood i guess?

anyone have an opinion on how well these sterilize air?

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,484 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

The problem is shadows.

The UV only kills what it hits, and large particles moving through an irradiated air stream will have sterilized surfaces, but there will likely be survivors in the microscopic shadows within particulates. Same goes with scratches on countertops, and why steam cleaners are the most effective for such surfaces (there are micro-pores even in polished stainless steel, steam penetrates where light doesn't). That's why a good mechanical filter is needed upstream of the UV, thus minimizing the number of larger particles and thereby effecting a greater rate of sterilization.

This might allow for the creation of cheaper HEPA type flow hoods if a less-efficient (cheaper) filter were used upstream of a UV light, plus I see a great use for them in the air recirculation system of a grow house (larger scale grow obviously, like commercial edible farm) to minimize contaminant spore loads in the grow room.

For in-room UV use, I'd recommend a Photo Catalytic Oxidation filter, which is just a UV germicidal lamp in a box next to a titanium catalyst that creates short-lived oxygen free radicals (it's NOT an ozone generator) that denature DNA and break apart particles, including odors. I had an electrical connection melt and scorch and almost catch fire, but when I walked into the room I could smell no trace of burning plastic even though a lot was melted and blackened, so I guess this technology works. That, and my contam rates have dropped to almost zero since I got it.

#24 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

thanks for pointing out about the shadows. there was something about it that didnt seem 100% to me. so ya still need hepa filter

#25 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

Wanting to see what effect a $200 uv bulb type ozone generator had on growth of spores/bacteria, this was tried. Only once, and not under any scientific conditions. 2qts of prepped/bleachsoaked hydrated rye were put in a gallon bucket, inside a cardboard box. A hole was cut on one side of the box, just above the bucket, and a UV/ozone unit rated for use in upto 1000 cubic ft was installed. the box wasnt sealed, but surely had a small bit of positive pressure. LOL within 2 days,not only did the rye smell like crap, but it had a nice fluffy growth enveloping the entire 2 qts. cobweb? Dont know if this proves anything, but It sure dont kill everything. peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!